1940s Brunswick Wedge Cue ID??? Any info good

atthecat

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I just picked this up and was hoping for more info. The person I bought it from said it was made in the 40's and that Tony Conte owned it from Chicago. Does this look like that time period? Any one know Tom? It's straight and in pretty good shape. Actually plays REALLY nice. Thanks for the help.

Attachments

• 75088351_2623985187657687_7809050400182501376_o.jpg
    75088351_2623985187657687_7809050400182501376_o.jpg
    203.2 KB · Views: 783
  • PointsShaft.jpg
    PointsShaft.jpg
    196.9 KB · Views: 771
  • TomConte.jpg
    TomConte.jpg
    199.2 KB · Views: 755
  • UpCloseVeneers.jpg
    UpCloseVeneers.jpg
    185.5 KB · Views: 746
  • WedgePin.jpg
    WedgePin.jpg
    190.6 KB · Views: 749
Last edited:

Snooker Theory

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That's a lovely cue, don't know anything about it, except I'd like to possibly buy it, if you sell down the line that is.

one stroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It's certainly a nice cue I've seen the model but only in ebony butt and ebony spliced shaft , you can dig up the history and find a time line for the 26 1/2 cues ,,

one stroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Looks like after-market pin....and grip is covering part of the wedge.

Yes I noticed that and also where the wrap ends up on the points which I love I'm wondering if that's a full splice converted cue , I'd love to cut that wrap off

Cuebuddy

Mini cues
Silver Member
That looks to be a special cue for sure. I am no expert but I would guess it is older then the 40's.

Maybe the wrap was added later and many wraps would drop below the point of the wedge. The bumper is almost certainly not original to the cue. Very possible that a 26.5 was cut and the joint was added, that might explain the newish looking pin.

It is odd that the top of the wedge is so apparent under the wrap, maybe it had raised a bit. The shaft has a black collar but not one on the cue to match.

Ideologist....HELP!

Last edited:

atthecat

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It was really common for the wedge to go under the wrap. I had 2 that did that. I guess with the leather you can see the indentation more.

Last edited:

9ballrob

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Definitely not 1940s.

The mother of pearl wedge option was gone from the catalogs before that and yes it was very common to see wraps go over the wedge, whether they were twine, leather, silk, etc.

A pin like that is also shown in the 1928 BBC catalog.

I would say it is most likely 1920s to early 30s.

SBC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Early 1930s cue
Wraps commonly covered the wedge on these .
Pin is absolutely original. Pins were put in shafts and butts until 1940s when they stayed in the butt of the cues.
This is not a conversion cue.

Model 26.5 cue.
The black veneers at the outermost veneer is nice, defines the points well.

Titlists didn't come about to the mid 1940s.

This is a players cue...love to know the stories it could tell.

Here's one I had years ago with similar pin in butt though. Cue was 1910 to 1920. Custom cue made by European Craftsmen who immigrated to America. Brunswick had very advanced cuemskers in France in the late 1800/early 1900s.

Cues like this were pre industrialization of cuemaking.

Attachments

• brunswick 1900 1.jpg
    brunswick 1900 1.jpg
    194.3 KB · Views: 540
Last edited:

ideologist

I don't never exaggerate
Silver Member
Can I buy this one before you have it cut up?

I'm still physically ill about that cue with the celluloid joint

atthecat

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Early 1930s cue
Wraps commonly covered the wedge on these .
Pin is absolutely original. Pins were put in shafts and butts until 1940s when they stayed in the butt of the cues.
This is not a conversion cue.

Model 26.5 cue.
The black veneers at the outermost veneer is nice, defines the points well.

Titlists didn't come about to the mid 1940s.

This is a players cue...love to know the stories it could tell.

Here's one I had years ago with similar pin in butt though. Cue was 1910 to 1920. Custom cue made by European Craftsmen who immigrated to America. Brunswick had very advanced cuemskers in France in the late 1800/early 1900s.

Cues like this were pre industrialization of cuemaking.

Wow fantastic cue! Thank you for all the great info. This cue plays great. The shaft is straight too. Was it common to have the ebony/maple shaft?

atthecat

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm not going to mess with this cue at all BUT I'd love to have another shaft made for it. Is this a pin cuemakers can find these days? Should I play with it?

Cuebuddy

Mini cues
Silver Member
I'm not going to mess with this cue at all BUT I'd love to have another shaft made for it. Is this a pin cuemakers can find these days? Should I play with it?

Play with it? Certainly. I play with nearly all of my vintage cues, the Ebony shaft might deflect like a MOFO.

sonny burnett

Registered
You can be sure I would give that cue every chance to be a player. Good find! Please do fill us in of the outcome.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk