Richard Harris Bluegrass Cues info

captainjko

Kirk
Silver Member
Hey guys.... Looking for some input from the folks that have played with older and newer Bluegrass cues, do you think his cues from the 90's play the same as the ones he builds today? I have an opportunity to buy one that is dated 1993. I have never played with one and would just like a little info... Thanks in advance......

qbilder

slower than snails
Silver Member
There's not much difference. His ring pattern changed a bit but not much. Some other things may have changed but you'd have to ask him. My buddy has an early one like that & dimensions are very much like the one I had from 2011, aside from wood. Hit about the same. Quality was top notch back then, too. One of my favorite makers.

Moet.1977

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
They pretty much play the same or really close, you'll love one an if u decided 2 try change cues
Bluegrass cues resale is good.

$TAKE HOR$E

champagne - campaign
Silver Member
This is not my cue but several years ago a friend ask me to sell it for him http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=276173&highlight=richard+harris

He had Richard refinish it and told me that it is one of, if not the first cue Richard did with veneers. I believe when Richard refinished it he also signed it between the points. Whats funny is, one of the shafts was completely stripped out and he said he couldnt fix it :scratchhead: I dont know Richard personally but I once ask him to get a price on building a cue and he refused. It was a plain birdseye maple cue, I had one years ago and a friend of mine wanted one like it. Never acquired another one after that.

gutshot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Older Blue Grass Cues play the same as the new ones IF the shafts haven't been monkeyed with. If they are full shafts, they will play the same. Richard hasn't changed the construction of his cues much at all over the years. To me, what wood the forearm has will distinguish a great playing Blue Grass from a fantastic playing Blue Grass.

Last edited:

ugotactionTX

I'm in dead rack!
Silver Member
a 1999 Cocobolo Bluegrass is one of only TWO cues I regret selling to this very day...

Traded it in on a South West... and was still a little disappointed even way back then.

tenfttall

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Older Blue Grass Cues play the same as the new ones IF the shafts haven't been monkeyed with. If they are full shafts, they will play the same. Richard hasn't changed the construction of his cues much at all over the years. To me, what wood the forearm has will distinguish a great playing Blue Grass from a fantastic playing Blue Grass.
Gutshot, what forearm woods play better than others when it comes to Bluegrass cues?

Thanks!

gutshot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
They all play very close to each other, but I would have to say of all the BG cues I have owned, the best hitters had ebony forearms. After that, I would have to say Purpleheart, Boise de Rose, Bocote and then all the Rosewoods (tulipwood, cocobolo, etc.). You can't go wrong with any of those woods.

Gutshot, what forearm woods play better than others when it comes to Bluegrass cues?

Thanks!

RiverCity

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Im not sentimental about cues at all, but out of a very small handful of cues I regret letting go of, the one I regret most was a bocote Bluegrass sneaky. :(

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
They all play very close to each other, but I would have to say of all the BG cues I have owned, the best hitters had ebony forearms. After that, I would have to say Purpleheart, Boise de Rose, Bocote and then all the Rosewoods (tulipwood, cocobolo, etc.). You can't go wrong with any of those woods.

Does he core his (non-sneaky) cues?

tenfttall

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
None are cored, including sneaky petes.

Thanks for the info, Gutshot. I have an Ebony Merry Widow with a fresh Spanish Bull wrap and refinish by Richard that I may be putting on the market.
2e394b89bc7847df5e36ae29e7257497.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gutshot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Lane,

I sold it to you. :wink: I might buy it back if/when you decide to sell it.

Kelly

Thanks for the info, Gutshot. I have an Ebony Merry Widow with a fresh Spanish Bull wrap and refinish by Richard that I may be putting on the market.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

gutshot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Taper and construction play a big part. Most of the cored cues I have hit with felt dead to me.

Interesting. I'd think it very hard to have a signature hit, that way.

But one of us knows how to make a bluegrass cue, and it isn't i.

JusticeNJ

Four Points/Steel Joints
Silver Member
Is Richard taking orders again? I used to play at Kings Table back in college and he would come in every now and then - really nice and knowledgeable guy. I could never afford one back then, but they always played fantastic and his wood selection was beautiful. Now that I'm not a broke college student any more, it'd be nice to order a little Buckeye charm (and a hell of a cue).

gutshot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Small world. I go to Kings about once a week. Richard plays on a team out of there in the fall. He's not taking orders, but if you email him you can get on his list and if he's making something similar to what you want he'll contact you.

Kelly