Have you cut back on visitors playing with you on your home table?

arnaldo

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
For 15 years before I retired to the southwest, I had a beautiful Diamond 9-footer in my finished basement rec room back east. I truly loved it and it played great, but I decided to sell it along with the house -- there'd be no room for it in my new retirement home.

Dozens of the avid young and older local players would join me for games of Straight Pool and 9-ball from time-to-time because they loved the table (Diamonds were new to this rural area at that time) and because of the casual lessons and tips I enjoyed passing along when they were serious about the game.

It occurred to me that if I still had a home table, I'd now -- in these CoVid times -- reluctantly have to be very hesitant to do anything but practice 14.1 totally by myself, and be absorbed working on technique and pattern strategy till better times are back and things somewhat closer to normal again.

Based on today's science, I'm hopeful that: "This too shall pass."

Arnaldo

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
For 15 years before I retired to the southwest, I had a beautiful Diamond 9-footer in my finished basement rec room back east. I truly loved it and it played great, but I decided to sell it along with the house -- there'd be no room for it in my new retirement home.

Dozens of the avid young and older local players would join me for games of Straight Pool and 9-ball from time-to-time because they loved the table (Diamonds were new to this rural area at that time) and because of the casual lessons and tips I enjoyed passing along when they were serious about the game.

It occurred to me that if I still had a home table, I'd now -- in these CoVid times -- reluctantly have to be very hesitant to do anything but practice 14.1 totally by myself, and be absorbed working on technique and pattern strategy till better times are back and things somewhat closer to normal again.

Arnaldo
If it was my table i wouldn't have anyone over til this thing starts calming down. Could be a while.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Anybody hosting visitors at this time would by incredibly ignorant/ irresponsible.

Arnaldo

Texas Carom Club

9ball did to billiards what hiphop did to america
Silver Member
My carom table has always attracted zero pool players
And even im this so called apocalypse its no different

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Hardest thing I've ever had to do was tell Dennis and Jeff DeLuna they could not stay in my home and practice on my table when they came back from Vegas to L.A. I met Dennis outside and would not let him come in my house. He understood. Jeff stayed in the car.

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member
Because of my wife's other health issues (afib episodes) , I really don't want anybody over at all. I want to have as safe of an environment here at the house as possible until things are back to normal.

Last edited:

Buzzard II

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
All of the guys I regularly play with have their own tables too. So most of us are practicing by ourselves waiting for the time we can pounce on those who didn't.

And I don't even feel sorry for those who played at the lodge which is now shutdown. We all have houses big enough to drop a table into someplace. No whining allowed. See this cabin fever makes me mean.

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hardest thing I've ever had to do was tell Dennis and Jeff DeLuna they could not stay in my home and practice on my table when they came back from Vegas to L.A. I met Dennis outside and would not let him come in my house. He understood. Jeff stayed in the car.
Jay, your post says it all about how serious this is. I know you and Dennis are very close, and I can only imagine how hard that must’ve been for you to tell him.

Kickin' Chicken

Kick Shot Aficionado
Gold Member
Silver Member
Sacrifice

I think the best practice is for us to assume *everyone* either has Corona or is a carrier of it, ourselves included, btw, for the safety of all.

I don't want to roll the dice on whether or not other people have been making good decisions - just eliminate that potential risk altogether.

Last edited:

Geosnooker

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have a large dedicated games room with a 12 foot snooker table. I usually have a friend or two over once a week or so in the cooler months but not this time of year. So, not really as our activities here in Alberta, Canada shift more to gardening, hiking and fishing in Spring.

My wife and I haven’t really had any direct contact with people for the last three weeks. We are retired and in excellent health, fitness nuts. It’s just not worth chancing any social activity against potential consequences. We go out our back door together to go hiking birdwatching and both are actually finding this whole episode quite relaxing in an odd way. We have never been social butterflies but do usually go out to dance once a week or so. My wife is now more in contact with her family and friends via social media. I’m happy to be a hermit.

Anyways, no way would we have anyone in the house. Groceries delivered and left on the step. Every item meticulously cleaned. Half the food is for a variety of critters, coyotes, porcupines, raccoons, skunks, bobcats, weasels, that drop by.

I’ve been playing Snooker and various ‘made up’ games. I have fantasy schedules using English Premier teams or NHL teams. Now playing 2 or so hours a day instead of 45 minutes. I talk a lot to myself so I keep myself company.

Fortunate to have a world class trout fishing river out the back door. Nice big rainbows. Sunny so I’m about to head out with the rod. This evening we’ll go birdwatching after supper. I’ll dabble at billiards before going to bed...all by my lonesome. Tomorrow, repeat.

Last edited:

RandyinHawaii

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I have a Gold Crown in my house. Only being used by me for practice until this is over with. The ones that used to come over regularly know what the situation is and haven't even asked.

poolhustler

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This "down time" has allowed me to work on my garage remodel (with my GCI). Still have some drywall work, painting, carpet, etc... So, unfortunately I don't even get any practice time in and haven't for the last 4 months... :(

SeaBrisket

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have a GCIII superbly reworked by RKC (by the previous owner so I only got the good side of him). A dude I've invited to my table probably a half dozen times in the past is suddenly texting me to take me up on the offer. Sorry, I'm quarantining and I know you were going to those tourneys I avoided in the couple weeks before the bars were closed. Also, you'll only come by when I'm the last table in town? A little insulting.

I feel a little guilty to have it available to me while others can't access a table but I'm being responsible. I'm also practicing a ton and finally getting sharp again.

Nine ... corner

BANNED
Silver Member
I've had a Saturday morning match consisting of a set of 9 ball to loosen up and then our 14.1 "tourney" for over two years now. I think in two years we might have missed 2 or 3 sessions due to travel or whatever. Told my buddy we were on lock down and my Man Cave was closed until further notice. He understood and praised my decision. Of course it's not closed to me! ;)

dnixon

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So no one is allowed in my home per my wife so I’ve been practicing and practicing and practicing. But today my wife says buy a table and put it in the backyard so tomorrow I think I’m gonna buy a valley bar box and put it in the yard. She said as long as the guys come over stay 6 feet from each other we’re good so I believe I’m gonna call her bluff and get a table.