2018 WPA World 9 ball

spartan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Has anyone seen a players list for next months grand daddy?

The thing about this grand daddy W9B is there really isn't a running constanly being updated players list because players don't really just pay big entry fee and be added to the list.
Players are only in the list to play if they achieve a certain ranking on WPA ranking or are selected by their country association or get wild card etc. If not, those who want to play will have to play in the extremely tough qualification stages about 1 week before main tournament and if they win one of the qualification rounds, they get to play in main tournament.
The full players list is usually only revealed when the brackets are done usually few days before the main tournament. Basically the list is list of almost all the top pros in world because it is rare that pros reject chance to play if they are in list. :smile:

Joe_Jaguar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Looks per their website that Nov 20th is the cutoff to confirm spots so you aren't going to see anything to well after that.

The BCA is allocated 6 spots. As of currently shown WPA rankings SVB falls short of the top 24 so he would come out of one of those 6 spots. So who are the other 5 that will attend? The current BCA rankings show the next 6 players in order are Thorpe, Archer, Mills, Morra, Hatch, Rodney, and then Bergman. One thing on that BCA ranking is all the "international" players have countries by their name except for Mika. Is that a typo or does that mean he could now qualify for a BCA invite.

Last edited:

Nostroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The thing about this grand daddy W9B is there really isn't a running constanly being updated players list because players don't really just pay big entry fee and be added to the list.
Players are only in the list to play if they achieve a certain ranking on WPA ranking or are selected by their country association or get wild card etc. If not, those who want to play will have to play in the extremely tough qualification stages about 1 week before main tournament and if they win one of the qualification rounds, they get to play in main tournament.
The full players list is usually only revealed when the brackets are done usually few days before the main tournament. Basically the list is list of almost all the top pros in world because it is rare that pros reject chance to play if they are in list. :smile:

That is the way it was when Matchroom ran it. Nowadays i believe, based on the field, that plenty of pros reject the chance to go play in a warehouse with no crowd in the middle of the desert.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That is the way it was when Matchroom ran it. Nowadays i believe, based on the field, that plenty of pros reject the chance to go play in a warehouse with no crowd in the middle of the desert.
Absolutely HORRIBLE place to have this event. Not knocking the country but the atmosphere, or more accurately, the total lack of one. Its like they're playing in a damn funeral home. Move this thing to London, Moscow, NYC, anywhere that they have a chance at drawing a lively crowd. Talked to one player that has been and he said he rarely left his room the whole time. Played his matches, ordered room service and flew home. Wow. What fun.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Where is it being held? Sounds like Qatar or ? Somewhere in the Middle East. Too bad they don't put it in Israel, the one civilized country over there.

BRussell

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Absolutely HORRIBLE place to have this event. Not knocking the country but the atmosphere, or more accurately, the total lack of one.

I’ll knock the country. It’s a sharia-law-based dictatorship with massive oil wealth that it distributes only to a select few and is trying to buy its way into respectability by hosting these kinds of sporting events. It’s supposed to host the next World Cup of football and of course FIFA would never accept a bribe. :rolleyes:

And compared to FIFA the WPA is a grain of sand in the desert, so I’m sure they didn’t even need to bribe them.
WPA: Qatar, can you host the W9B?
Qatar: Inshallah.
WPA: Allahu akbar!

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I’ll knock the country. It’s a sharia-law-based dictatorship with massive oil wealth that it distributes only to a select few and is trying to buy its way into respectability by hosting these kinds of sporting events. It’s supposed to host the next World Cup of football and of course FIFA would never accept a bribe. :rolleyes:

And compared to FIFA the WPA is a grain of sand in the desert, so I’m sure they didn’t even need to bribe them.
Was tryin not to go all political in my post. There are a lot of pool events now in China and that's not a country with a stellar human rts. track record but people go play 'cause of the $$$$ offered. What's the difference?

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member

Life isn’t simply a black and white situation....
..when Hurricane Katrina struck New Orleans, Qatar was the first big donor...
...with a hundred million US dollars.

Not all these countries are composed of Jihadists, who wish us all dead or converted.

marek

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Life isn’t simply a black and white situation....
..when Hurricane Katrina struck New Orleans, Qatar was the first big donor...
...with a hundred million US dollars.

Not all these countries are composed of Jihadists, who wish us all dead or converted.

I wont go into human rights comparison of China, Qatar or USA here on Azb as it could get very ugly but pics from pool events in Qatar vs China can say a lot about potential apeal of those events to audience/sponsors..

Attachments

• 20181111_052826-960x540.jpg
    20181111_052826-960x540.jpg
    89.7 KB · Views: 227
  • Screenshot_20181111-052341_YouTube-960x540.jpg
    Screenshot_20181111-052341_YouTube-960x540.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 219

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
I wont go into human rights comparison of China, Qatar or USA here on Azb as it could get very ugly but pics from pool events in Qatar vs China can say a lot about potential apeal of those events to audience/sponsors..

Barry Hearn left a big hole when he stopped doing the World 9-ball Championship.
...here is how exciting the game can be...and it’s only a last 32 match...in 1999.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4iIKXfz97eA

So far, Qatar and China have provided dreary venues.