Super Glue, Gorilla Glue, Loctite - Preferences?

Ron Padilla

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
are yous fellows shopping at the local big box for the glue or are you going to woodcraft and other like stores to woodcraft?
Thanks

conetip

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There are industrial poly glues that are fully cured in aprox 5 mins. Not sure on their availability outside of industry.

Tommy-D

World's best B player...
Silver Member
Count me in as part of the crowd that uses Loctite Professional.

However,the best stuff I've found for gluing phenolic/G10 break tips to a ferrule such as melamine is the JB Weld Super Weld available at Wal Mart.

I've also had good results with the Loctite Rearview Mirror Adhesive which is a 2 part CA. Tommy D.

Pokermster

Registered
I wait about an hour if I'm in a hurry. I guess I could experiment to find minimum but haven't done so yet because I'm rarely in a hurry. I understand this glue wouldn't be practical for a kiosk at an event or a walk in but my main concern is reliability not time.

I actually tried it by accident a long time ago because I was staying with my folks out of town at a tourney and my tip fell off which a renowned local repair person put on with cyano. All my dad had was some brown gorilla glue so I said what the hell and lightly sanded it and put it back on just propping it under a shelf for a clamp. I gave that cue to a buddy right about the time I started building cues in 2014 and saw him again a few years later and the same tip was on. So I remembered what it was on there with and tried it on my own cue. Then on a couple cues I was having a hell of a time getting tips to stay on.

Since I started using it I have had zero tips come off. Usually you cannot easily break them off with a pliers when replacing them later like you usually can with super glue. I consider this a good sign that they are really on there. Just reading the threads about all the different super glue techniques people swear by on this forum tells me it's temperamental. Poly glue not so much. Wipe the thing off on both sides and put a dab on, clamp it lightly and done. Not even sure how important the surfaces are really with this glue. Seems like not much.

Don't get me wrong not many ever came off with cyano but even that one is embarrassing to me. I was disappointed when that tip came off the "pro" put on for me way back when because it was an expensive tip. Gorilla has yet to embarrass me. Been using it exclusively now for almost 5 years.

JC

Zero failure is my goal. I retip appx a thousand house cues a year. I own a coin op pool table route and, because I play, I put on better tips than most operators. I like the convenience of cyano but zero fail is outstanding. These sticks take a beating, especially on bare concrete floors. Of course, the one piece house cues have cheap ferrules on them. Ever used the Gorilla poly on house cues before? If I can get them to stay on, all of them will have WB tips on.

scdiveteam

Rick Geschrey
Silver Member
Loctite 454 is the best CA there is afaik.

Joe,

Try Atlas med if you like your shop supply budget dollars and a premium product that compares to Loctite. I think you get 1.3 oz. For about ten bucks. Dont quote me on that as I am currently 2000 miles from my new shop and can not read a bottle. Point is you get a lot more. I am not saying Atlas is any better that Locktite either.

BTW, Atlas super glues are not diulleluted like cheap brands sold in hobby shops. This is a huge factor.

I use the thin stuff for touch up spot finish repairs on customer's cues and I was frustrated with the cheap stuff because after 5 coats or so the white demons could appear in the finish. After switching to the Atlas non cut thin stuff, I never had that problem again. This saved me more time a frustration than you could imagine. Perfect clear repairs to dents and deep scratches with out white spots and fast results without a lot of sanding down.

When you use the med for tips and ferrules, the volume and quality is a no brainer.

I did over 3000 tips and a huge repair business in my Billaird Cafe using the Locktite and would have never changed. I loved that stuff a swore by it because it never failed.

I lived 10 minutes from Atlas and was educated about the quality of the formula from Eric and Dan.

To me the proof is in the pudding.

I also store the CA in my shop fridge. Makes a difference.

Rick