Young With No Table But Still Practiced...How?

skins

Likes to draw
Silver Member
When I was 14 to early 16, before I could drive and since I had no home table, I used to stand on the stairs that led up to my bedroom and use the hallway as my pool surface. Granted it was much thinner than an actual table but I was able to practice hitting balls at any distance I wanted. We had low tight loop carpet with no padding so the surface was relatively flat. I'd set up different angles and even was able to use english with chalk but had to make sure to clean that up before my mom or dad saw..LOL I guarantee I didn't clean it all up..haha.... I setup pockets using small square plastic containers and put them where I wanted.. I also rolled up towels along the walls where I thought the cue would deflect to keep the baseboards and walls from getting marked up...

I actually learned a lot doing that. Of course absent the things that took table time, speed control and english off the rails, It was a whole lot of fun :smile:

Anyone do anything similar?

PhilosopherKing

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i think the bottle drill would have to be the most popular.

if i could do it all over again: i'd be doing that for hours on my kitchen table, but with the
"set, pause, finish" theory and a consistent eye pattern worked in.

Toxictom

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have two young players on my APA team that both grew up in the Philippines. Both shoot pretty good for 1st year players and both attribute it to a game they played growing up that uses some kind of flat pieces instead of balls. Does anyone know what that game is? I'd like to see a video of it so I can understand what they are talking about as I'm still a little unclear.

dbgordie

Thread Killer!!
Silver Member
I have two young players on my APA team that both grew up in the Philippines. Both shoot pretty good for 1st year players and both attribute it to a game they played growing up that uses some kind of flat pieces instead of balls. Does anyone know what that game is? I'd like to see a video of it so I can understand what they are talking about as I'm still a little unclear.

Probably a carrom board game. :)

Buzzard II

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Buddy of mine had one of those plywood surfaced tables. I bet your hallway played better.

book collector

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Buddy of mine had one of those plywood surfaced tables. I bet your hallway played better.

I had one of those also , it was junk by the time I got it , but I loved that table like life.
Sometimes it looked like you were using one of those trick weighted balls , but it was just the balls settling into dips in the surface lol.

skins

Likes to draw
Silver Member
i think the bottle drill would have to be the most popular.

if i could do it all over again: i'd be doing that for hours on my kitchen table, but with the
"set, pause, finish" theory and a consistent eye pattern worked in.

What's the bottle drill?

bstroud

Deceased
I was given a square Carrom board at age 6. It had a checker board in the center and net pockets in each corner.

It had red and green wooden rings and small wooden sticks that you could shoot the rings with.

I think that carom board made me the player I later became. It certainly created my life long interest in Billiards.

Bill S.

skins

Likes to draw
Silver Member
I was given a square Carrom board at age 6. It had a checker board in the center and net pockets in each corner.

It had red and green wooden rings and small wooden sticks that you could shoot the rings with.

I think that carom board made me the player I later became. It certainly created my life long interest in Billiards.

Bill S.

A friend had one of those too. I didn't like it much though. We we're also members of our local Moose Club and they had an eight sided bumper pool table. We only went there twice a month for their walleye fish fry's and I would only hit them around every so often.

mvp

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My brother had a valley barbox in a tiny bedroom, had two sides against walls! He got really good at banks lol

PoolBum

Ace in the side.
Silver Member
Potatoes and a broomstick! If you can draw your potato, you can draw your rock!

logical

Loose Rack
Silver Member
Probably a carrom board game. :)
I grew up with one.of those. Carom and Crokinole.
52d048571a92c805af851bae33e33777.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Michael Andros

tiny balls, GIANT pockets
Silver Member

Bill S.

I had THE EXACT SAME THING, Bill!!! Only by 61 or 62, the rings were plastic instead of wood. I haven't thought of that board / game in 50++ years!!! WOW!

aaronataylor

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
When I was13 my dad bought a rectangular bumper pool table with decent house cues. My brother and I spent hours each day for years learning bank shots, angles, English and stroke mechanics. Great family memories!