Texas Carom Club

9ball did to billiards what hiphop did to america
Silver Member
Pique and masse used often for these games to hold position , or gain it

Straight rail is probably no more popular in the world than vietnam

Kent has a good thing going for him
Hes got 2 clubs, his own model of 9ft hollywood table

A big following , hes great for carom

He had an international exhibition with a young euro champ who showed him the ropes
Played at Kent's club while sam was in ho chi min for the 3c world cup thier earlier this yr

While kent is not in the elite of viet playerd
Sam van etten is very close to being in the elite of the euro players

They played 1 game of straight rail and 1 of 47.2 balkline

https://youtu.be/ZVQWqbZjJw0

Last edited:

MisterBanker

Appalachain American
Silver Member
So if Earl is the bad boy of pool, and Ronnie O'Sullivan the bad boy of snooker, who is the bad boy of straight rail?

Texas Carom Club

Silver Member
There are no bad boys in carom,

Marco zanetti gets a bit snippy in 3c at times, but still a gentleman

book collector

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
They have cup stacking competitions, cornhole championships and North American Wife Carrying Championships of which Dennis Rodman is an active enthusiast.
This is Nirvana compared to those.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
There are no bad boys in carom, ...
You have never had someone claim a hit that clearly didn't occur? Or get your chalk thrown at you when you forgot and left it on the table? Or an opponent who greased up his ball during a tournament? Or an opponent who coats you? (To coat your opponent is to make sure your body is between them and the two balls that may or may not collide at the right time.) Or an opponent who intentionally miscues when they really don't want to play a shot at 3-C because there is no shot with safety and the miscue sends their ball down to were you need binoculars to see it? Or an opponent who is so nasty/aggressive that the other players in the tournament ask to please have a referee when they play him? (And they don't need a ref for any other opponent.)

I have seen all of these at carom.

Texas Carom Club

Silver Member
You have never had someone claim a hit that clearly didn't occur? Or get your chalk thrown at you when you forgot and left it on the table? Or an opponent who greased up his ball during a tournament? Or an opponent who coats you? (To coat your opponent is to make sure your body is between them and the two balls that may or may not collide at the right time.) Or an opponent who intentionally miscues when they really don't want to play a shot at 3-C because there is no shot with safety and the miscue sends their ball down to were you need binoculars to see it? Or an opponent who is so nasty/aggressive that the other players in the tournament ask to please have a referee when they play him? (And they don't need a ref for any other opponent.)

I have seen all of these at carom.

Sounds like something an american 3c player would do
Have not seen Anything of this sort myself , but i have not been Around the block as many times as you have

Tbh though i have heard of a dirty mexican player here where i used to play, 3c player of course

Texas Carom Club

Silver Member
But he was asking about an iconic figure of carom thats an all time great and also causes problems, i think

I dont think you can play carom at the highest level and bee screaming at fans or be a cry baby because these are so mentally demanding

Caudron said emotions are bad, good or bad
Emotions have no place in billiards

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
... I dont think you can play carom at the highest level and bee screaming at fans or be a cry baby because these are so mentally demanding ...
Robert Cannefax? I didn't get to see any of his tournament performances, but there are stories.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I played some carom last night on my slow gold crown...about 30 min worth.

Hi run? 6. Near misses? About 428:angry:.

Pissed me off so much, I had to bust out the template and run a 3pack.:shrug:

Texas Carom Club

Silver Member
He actually does the rail nurse for like 5 points
When he reaches the first 100

Just noticed also that hes using the corner triangles and he walks them right along the line

zones that make it much harder

Something that most vietnamese dont use

Last edited:

Texas Carom Club

Silver Member
He did it for some points as my last post said
The 100 point mark
380 point mark and 480point mark

He didnt walk the balls around the table to make the 944

Last edited:

kevoka

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Where they play the best carom in the world
In europe once you achieve this level you move to a harder version known as balkline 47.2, then 71.2 and 47.1. Each game harder
Then 1 cushion and 3c

Is 1 cushion harder than balklines?

I have never played balkline, but assumed 1c was easier, just due to limitation built inot balkline.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member

I have never played balkline, but assumed 1c was easier, just due to limitation built inot balkline.
The runs at 1 cushion are much lower due to the fact that there is no nurse position that lasts for very long and the recovery requires a long drive of one of the balls.

Texas Carom Club

Silver Member

You probably never will play balkline either as i can garuntee no 3c tabke owner would want the balklines drawn in thier table, even if you wipe it away the line will remain slightly, my table and a viet friend of mine are probably the only 2 tables in the states that would allow this lol

I would argue that balkline 47.2 is a medium difficuly game based on the number of single inning finishes i have seen by many players

While 71.2 being much harder ive seen few single inning finishes

47.1 being the hardest and least on video, with very seldom single inning games

I have yet to even seen documented single inning 1 cushion games although im certain there have been some in the modern era
Runs of over 100 in 1 cushion are few and far between and never a garuntee even with the very elite in the world

kevoka

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have yet to even seen documented single inning 1 cushion games although in certain there have been some in the modern era
Runs of over 100 in 1 cushion are few and far between and never a guarantee even with the very elite in the world

Interesting. I watched the video you posted of a single gentleman demonstrating 1 cushion, and he ran up over 100 points in it. This gave me the impression that at the world elite levels 100+ runs were not that uncommon.

Then I watched another video that you recently posted of what I believe was some Austrian championship (I don't read German). The longest runs I saw in it were 3 or 4 points and they were fairly rare and it made me feel better :)