Low cost CNC machine ...

WilleeCue

The Barefoot Cuemaker
Silver Member
I bought one of these "30X40 CNC machines" from ebay a few years ago and wanted to share the results with all you.

These are under $600 for 4 axis model. (30x40 size) some even come with Mach3 software.

A full size cue maker it is not as it wont taper shafts ... but it will travel over 12" on the X axis and that is plenty for forearm points and butt inlays.
You will need to make some jigs to hold the cue but that is no big deal.
I index the cue manually but am planning on extending the bed somehow then I could use the 4th axis to rotate and index the cue like the big dogs do.

As you can see from the photo the inlays it can produce are tight and true.
That is what matters. If the inlays are not tight then the rest is moot.

The stock spindle (48vdc motor) only runs about 12,000 rpm so that would be a good thing to upgrade so the feed rate speed could be increased.

Also ... as I have offered in the past, I am willing to share my CNC files with anyone wanting them. Use them to learn to make your own or put them in your cues as they are ... you have my permission as they are not copyrighted.

I am willing to help anyone as much as I can to learn and do CNC inlays.

William Lee

Attachments

• cnc1.jpg
    cnc1.jpg
    160.5 KB · Views: 1,115
  • cnc2.jpg
    cnc2.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 1,099
  • 30401.jpg
    30401.jpg
    179.1 KB · Views: 805
  • 30402.jpg
    30402.jpg
    167.8 KB · Views: 796
  • i1.jpg
    i1.jpg
    82.4 KB · Views: 775
Last edited:

CamposCues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Inlays

I'm kind of in the same boat. I have a little Techno Isel Davinci I'm using. Kay software sucks by the way. I built a rack from 80/20 extrusion with a mini rotary table and tailstock mounted on it. The rack slides back and forth on the 80/20 "linear bearings" system, which aren't really bearings. It allows me to be able to inlay any spot, the entire length of the cue. I'm going to rat hole some tax money this year, so I snag the next raptor or full length setup that gets posted. Missed one last year dragging my heels.

WilleeCue

The Barefoot Cuemaker
Silver Member
CamposCues ...
Unique Products has a CueMonster demo that they never sold ... you might be able to work a deal on that one. Call Jim and see.

Ron Padilla

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have a question, being that I was looking at some of those with in the last few days! had you had more cash to spend at the time would one of the 1500.00 range cnc builds been able to do the job that you were seeking to accomplish with this smaller unit? I was looking at some that did include the 4th axis and was thinking that one of those would suffice in doing cue work including tapper work, so that it would also be able to turn shafts and butts, and also do inlays with some of the software that is available?

rhinobywilhite

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have a question, being that I was looking at some of those with in the last few days! had you had more cash to spend at the time would one of the 1500.00 range cnc builds been able to do the job that you were seeking to accomplish with this smaller unit? I was looking at some that did include the 4th axis and was thinking that one of those would suffice in doing cue work including tapper work, so that it would also be able to turn shafts and butts, and also do inlays with some of the software that is available?

They do not have enough length for tapering and such. You can do inlays just as Willee stated.

CamposCues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Tapering

how long of a bed is needed to do inlays?

You can jimmy any of them to do inlays but you need a 40"+ bed and at least 30"+ of travel to mount some type of spinner and tailstock to taper butts and shafts. A bed of 48" and 36" of travel would be awesome.

WilleeCue

The Barefoot Cuemaker
Silver Member
I see they are offering a 6090 machine for $2700.
At 900mm travel they are getting close to tapering ability's.

I would be relatively easy to extend the X axis travel of the $600 3040T machine.
All you would need is 5 parts ... 2 new guide rods, 1 ball screw rod, and 2 side rails of the correct length.
and of course a new bed but that could be plywood.
If I had the ability to machine the metal I would offer a Kit for any length needed.
Anyone here feel up to that?

I looked at the water and air cooled spindles that use the inverter to drive them to 24,000 rpm and would work fine except they are a bit to large and heavy for a small machine.
However the 65mm 1.5KV one is perfect for the Unique TaperShaper machine and fits the mount with no adapter needed.

Last edited:

stylz730

Registered
I have the same cnc but I am looking for a better setup . Could you send me more do you have any more pics of your jig setup? I would like any file you would be willing to share. I have wanted to extant bed as well and would be interested In a kit.

Sent from my iPhone using AzBilliards Forums[/QUOTE]

Sent from my iPhone using AzBilliards Forums

cueman

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I see they are offering a 6090 machine for $2700.
At 900mm travel they are getting close to tapering ability's.

I would be relatively easy to extend the X axis travel of the $600 3040T machine.
All you would need is 5 parts ... 2 new guide rods, 1 ball screw rod, and 2 side rails of the correct length.
and of course a new bed but that could be plywood.
If I had the ability to machine the metal I would offer a Kit for any length needed.
Anyone here feel up to that?

I looked at the water and air cooled spindles that use the inverter to drive them to 24,000 rpm and would work fine except they are a bit to large and heavy for a small machine.
However the 65mm 1.5KV one is perfect for the Unique TaperShaper machine and fits the mount with no adapter needed.

900 mmm is over 35 inches. That should be plenty for tapering.

67fastback

Registered
I have been self educating myself on CNC operation & Writing G-code. Not being a machine at & having no knowledge of CNC at all has made the process a long one but I am slowly getting it by trial & error. I would be appreciative if your still willing to share your files.

Last edited:

WilleeCue

The Barefoot Cuemaker
Silver Member
I have been self educating myself on CNC operation & Writing G-code. Not being a machine at & having no knowledge of CNC at all has made the process a long one but I am slowly getting it by trial & error. I would be appreciative if your still willing to share your files.

Yes ... I dont write the G-code ... I use BobCad to generate it from the drawing.
I know just enough about G-code to modify the file once BobCad has generated it.

I am currently revising my CNC files to weed out the ones that might be to complexs for someone learning.

Here is a photo of the most recent inlay I have done with my el cheapo inlay Machine.

Attachments

• i1.jpg
    i1.jpg
    82.4 KB · Views: 738

67fastback

Registered
Yes ... I dont write the G-code ... I use BobCad to generate it from the drawing.
I know just enough about G-code to modify the file once BobCad has generated it.

I am currently revising my CNC files to weed out the ones that might be to complexs for someone learning.

Here is a photo of the most recent inlay I have done with my el cheapo inlay Machine.
Well I said writing G-code. That was a false statement. What I should have said was I use both Bob-cad V27 or Fusion 360 software to draw up designs & the let it create the G-code. As far as G-code is concerned, it is like reading Japanese to me.

Last edited:

WilleeCue

The Barefoot Cuemaker
Silver Member
Ron I think there are now 900mm long units that go for around $2500.
Overpriced if you ask me ... $2000 more for an extended bed ????
Hopefully the price on them will drop as that would be long enough to taper shafts.

WilleeCue

The Barefoot Cuemaker
Silver Member
You can jimmy any of them to do inlays but you need a 40"+ bed and at least 30"+ of travel to mount some type of spinner and tailstock to taper butts and shafts. A bed of 48" and 36" of travel would be awesome.

It would require about 5 parts to extend the bed to any length.
2 bearing rods, one threaded drive rod, and the two side panels.
Getting those parts of the correct size would be the problem.
Some enterprising fella with a machine shop could make up an extension kit and sell it.

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Do you think these machines are rigid enough to cut aluminum delicately? Or electronic PCB's (approx 1/16" thick fiberglass). I'm looking for a small CNC for my day job with a small x,y travel of 10" or so in each direction.

WilleeCue

The Barefoot Cuemaker
Silver Member
Do you think these machines are rigid enough to cut aluminum delicately? Or electronic PCB's (approx 1/16" thick fiberglass). I'm looking for a small CNC for my day job with a small x,y travel of 10" or so in each direction.

I doubt that it is.
OK for wood and perhaps fiberglass PC boards but metal ... I dont know.
The 24vdc motor that comes with it will run about 12,000 rpm and may not have enough HP to cut metal other than engraving.
If you upgraded the spindle and found the right cutting speed I guess it would do what you want it to.

JC

Coos Cues
Ron I think there are now 900mm long units that go for around $2500.
Overpriced if you ask me ... $2000 more for an extended bed ????
Hopefully the price on them will drop as that would be long enough to taper shafts.

And on top of that you will need to supply a computer and CNC software (Mach) as well as cad/cam software right?

JC