Nov. 15-18, 2018 US Open Straight Pool Championships

CSI Media

CueSports International
Silver Member
The US Open Straight Pool Championship will be Nov. 15-18, 2018 at Griff's in Las Vegas!
Tiered entry fee based on FargoRate to attract players of all levels!
Also seeking a limited number of quality pool rooms to run qualifiers! Room owners, if you are interested, contact Mark Griffin, 702-835-2000.
2018USO.jpg

Mark Griffin

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
2018 US Open 14.1

We are trying to create some interest in the grandest game. This will have a twist, in that players under 600 can play for a very reasonable fee of $150. Everyone is guaranteed several games since the first rounds are round robin.

A room can hold qualifiers with only 8 players each paying $20 dollars and win a spot! If they are better players (over 720), the entry is $400. Lots of room to hold many types of qualifiers.

Straight Pool has been almost forgotten in the last few years. Here is a chance to try and revive it.

I hope some rooms (or players) pay attention to this. The title is still very prestigious and will only improve every year now that we have a solid location.

Come to Vegas and enjoy one of the nicest rooms in the country!!!!!

Contact Mark Griffin with questions. 702-835-2000

Dan White

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
We are trying to create some interest in the grandest game.

Congratulations on getting this in gear. I hope it only grows year after year.

I have a pet peeve and I've been told by some well respected people to get over it... but I don't seem to be able to. Here it is: Yes, it is the grandest game, as you say, and part of the reason is that there is a long history and tradition to the game. In keeping with that, I really wish the event promoters would stop calling the matches "A race to 100, A race to 200." They are matches, not races. Nothing about the word "race" makes any sense when applied to straight pool.

Getting off soap box...

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Congratulations on getting this in gear. I hope it only grows year after year.

I have a pet peeve and I've been told by some well respected people to get over it... but I don't seem to be able to. Here it is: Yes, it is the grandest game, as you say, and part of the reason is that there is a long history and tradition to the game. In keeping with that, I really wish the event promoters would stop calling the matches "A race to 100, A race to 200." They are matches, not races. Nothing about the word "race" makes any sense when applied to straight pool.

Getting off soap box...

I, too, dislike that "race" terminology, Dan. The first I remember hearing it was when the Dragon started doing straight-pool events and didn't really know much about the game. Maybe it was used in some places way before that, but I was unaware of it.

In the upcoming US Open, they will be playing games to 100, 150, 200, and 300 points.

And since each match will consist of just one game, they also will be playing matches to 100, 150, 200, and 300 points.

If a match consisted of the best 3 out of 5 games to x points, for example, then it would be appropriate to call the match a race to 3 games of x points.

[But the winner in a 14.1 game is the first player to reach x points, so it is a "race" to x points, right? Well, yes, but that terminology vexes many 14.1 veterans.]

Last edited:

Cameron Smith

is kind of hungry...
Silver Member
I, too, dislike that "race" terminology, Dan. The first I remember hearing it was when the Dragon started doing straight-pool events and didn't really know much about the game. Maybe it was used in some places way before that, but I was unaware of it.

In the upcoming US Open, they will be playing games to 100, 150, 200, and 300 points.

And since each match will consist of just one game, they also will be playing matches to 100, 150, 200, and 300 points.

If a match consisted of the best 3 out of 5 games to x points, for example, then it would be appropriate to call the match a race to 3 games of x points.

[But the winner in a 14.1 game is the first player to reach x points, so it is a "race" to x points, right? Well, yes, but that terminology vexes many 14.1 veterans.]

I am with you guys on this. I won't complain too loudly since any 14.1 is good 14.1 so I appreciate the efforts of CSI. But I always try to use the proper terminology for the correct game. Snooker ranking tournament matches are often best of 9's, the US Open 9 ball is a race to 11 and 14.1 is commonly a 150 point game.

Demondrew

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Race?

When did we start using the term race? I remember the term being best out of 21, not a race to eleven. The baseball World Series isn't a race to four.

Semantics I guess.

Andy

Dan White

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
When did we start using the term race? I remember the term being best out of 21, not a race to eleven. The baseball World Series isn't a race to four.

Semantics I guess.

Andy

It started when 9 ball players started putting on straight pool events. I think Charlie Williams and Dragon Promotions started it, but I could be wrong.

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Has this event been canceled? Was that announced somewhere?

It was to start 6 days from today.

edit -- I see this event was also announced on the Main Forum, but I don't see any mention of a cancellation there, either.

Last edited:

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
"2019 US Open Straight Pool Championship
May 29 - June 1, 2019 (Las Vegas, NV)"

..........from the CSI website. No longer any mention I can find of the event for 2018.

Banks, One-Pocket, and 14.1 back to back to back in 2019.