Mcdermott H-Series, variable weight review

localredhead

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Mcdermott H-Series, variable weight review *pics update*

Hello,

I wanted to write something about the H-series because in other threads there was a decent amount of skepticism about it, and rightly so.

I recently received an H550C, and the balance point was spot on where it is on my meucci from the factory, so without changing it I shot around a bit.

First thing I noted was the cue had a lot of feedback. When I slap the forearm of the cue, the entire thing vibrates a little (which I admit, I like). This is an attribute I liked about my meucci power piston... the flex (to me) correlates to more feedback.

Second thing I noticed is I hated the slim pro shaft I ordered with it. Which is unfortunate because I had high-hopes. All I can say that after shooting it... I just don't like it.

Putting my meucci ultimate weapon pro shaft on the mcdermott is a supreme combo.. I can only describe the feedback and feel of the H-series cue to be like a power piston meucci only better in the feedback.. and the balance is spot on ;)

I think people should take a harder look at these H-series cues. It is a shame their designs aren't the greatest because this technology, I believe, would be loved by many. You can try out a longer, or thinner, or thicker shaft and adjust the balance point to bring it back to neutral.

The way the weights are held within the cue give it a distinct feel to the stroke after contact - a good feel. I did not find the hit hollow or weird in any way, but found I was better able to express what I wanted the cue ball to do, and it seemed as if my stroke stayed straighter with less effort. I can only attribute this to the fact that the weights are distributed across the butt much further than they would be otherwise. I consider it an advantage being able to place the weights anywhere I like - and the hit feels like a high quality hit.

I'm comparing this to my numerous OB, Meucci, and Pechauer cues. I've had the fortunately ability to test the same shaft on a OB, Meucci, and now Mcdermott and I can say that the Mcdermott is now my main player (with the meucci ulimtate weapon shaft @ 31")

The H550C is great looking in person. Better than the online pics... but I'll try and get some of my own up soon. I suspect some of the other h-series cues are similar in this regards.

H2Pv1jL.jpg

LKGhWsV.jpg

xFmCt2f.jpg

Last edited:

localredhead

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sorry for the crazy large photos. I grabbed them straight off my phone...

I've been playing with this a few times and I have to say it's awesome being able to try a different balance point and different weights at those balance points. I believe the cue has a great hit and the stroke feels like it's locked in - like I'd have to try to have tip-steer. I attribute this to the way the weight(s) is placed along the length of the butt/forearm. I currently have it weighted slightly forward like my pech and it's awesome.

The cue is definitely responsive.

I've shot a few shots with the new extension system and also found that to be a natural adjustment, which is a plus.