lighter fluid to clean pool table..felt?

evergruven

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
a guy I know thinks this is a good way to do it..I've heard of lighter fluid to clean cues, but felt- ?

RiverCity

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If condensed water on a beer bottle leaves a ring on the cloth, what do you a wool/nylon blended fabric would look like after being "cleaned" with a petroleum product?

Im thinking similar to spilling food on your shirt, and it leaving a grease stain. ;)

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
a guy I know thinks this is a good way to do it..I've heard of lighter fluid to clean cues, but felt- ?
If you've gotta use something a little Woolite works. Maybe a capful or so in a gallon of hot water. Use a micro-fiber cloth, get it wet, wring it out good and do a small area. Repeat. Lightly vacuum before doing this. Would NEVER use lighter fluid. If gum is ever the issue i'd use GooGone followed by the Woolite deal. Luckily i've never had gum issue on cloth just on the floor. Hate that s^*t.

GoldCrown

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Only use lighter fluid if you want to totally ruin it.
Whatever you decide to use...spot test on a scrap piece of material.

Mike81

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Do not do it.! Just had 860hr installed, small drop of glue ended up on the playing surface, the mechanic put lighter fluid on the spot and scrubbed it. No glue there now but there is a stain from the fluid.

Icon of Sin

I can't fold, I need gold. I re-up and reload...
Silver Member
Did you know you can use your old motor oil to fertalize your lawn?

giphy.gif

Rickhem

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Part of the answer depends upon exactly what "lighter fluid" he's talking about. Lighter fluid like for your zippo cigarette lighter, or like the kind for your charcoal grill? They're both close, but still different. And then there's some alcohol based lighter fluids (mostly for charcoal grills). I'd think that any of the above would dissolve any adhesive and you'd end up with loose felt/cloth on the table.
I'd contact some of the big names for manufacturing those felt/cloth coverings and see what they reccomend for cleaning the table.
Might not be the best idea to be the experimenter on your own table, unless of course your table is so bad that it will probably end up needing a replacement anyway.

If he does try something, post up how it worked. Might help someone in the future.

kaznj

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
After applying lighter fluid pass a match over the felt. I guarantee the stain will be gone.

Bobkitty

I said: "Here kitty, kitty". Got this frown.
Gold Member
Silver Member
If you've gotta use something a little Woolite works. Maybe a capful or so in a gallon of hot water. Use a micro-fiber cloth, get it wet, wring it out good and do a small area. Repeat. Lightly vacuum before doing this. Would NEVER use lighter fluid. If gum is ever the issue i'd use GooGone followed by the Woolite deal. Luckily i've never had gum issue on cloth just on the floor. Hate that s^*t.

I put one cap of Woolite in a gallon of water as you've recommended. Soak a micro-fiber cloth in a cup full of the solution, wring it out and stick it in a microwave to heat it up. I wipe the whole table with this weekly. Sucks up the chalk. RKC told me about this and it works.

Last edited:

Buzzard II

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Big difference in a capful and a cupful. For once I'm not being a smartass. I would really like a accurate answer. I have some 860 that's been on for about eight years and could use some TLC.

Bobkitty

Gold Member
Silver Member
Big difference in a capful and a cupful. For once I'm not being a smartass. I would really like a accurate answer. I have some 860 that's been on for about eight years and could use some TLC.

RKC says one cupful of Woolite in a gallon of water. Cup Full. If you soak the towel, try to get it hot. I have a microwave 10 feet from my table and I do it that way.

trentfromtoledo

8onthebreaktoledo
Silver Member
RKC says one cupful of Woolite in a gallon of water. Cup Full. If you soak the towel, try to get it hot. I have a microwave 10 feet from my table and I do it that way.

CAP FULL... not cup full. RKC method. Just talked to him to make sure I remembered correctly.

Trent from Toledo

Bobkitty

Gold Member
Silver Member
CAP FULL... not cup full. RKC method. Just talked to him to make sure I remembered correctly.

Trent from Toledo

Oops. Actually, you are correct. I just went down and saw the writing on the gallon bottle. One "cap" full instead of a cup. The Woolite cap full is about 1/2 cup.

Last edited:

evergruven

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
thanks all for the replies..sounded crazy to me too, but ya never know until ya do yea :grin:

will give an update if one develops-

book collector

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i just had a grandchild with some of that new "Putty" stuff leave it under a cushion on my good sofa .
I used some 91% isopropyl alcohol and a couple of Bounty paper towels and it came right out.
No smell afterward Don't drench it and try on a spare piece of cloth or somewhere unseen.

CuesDirectly

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Welcome to the Richard Pryor School of felt cleaning.

Today kids, we play with lighter fluid.

Last edited:

jimmyg

Mook! What's a Mook?
Silver Member
You may also want to try Windex for ball and shaft cleaning, I've used it on my shafts for years.