The Earl Strickland story

rramsey0011

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Landon vs. Earl

I love this match. Landon just puts on a clinic. I had the pleasure of watching him play in December, this guy is a machine. Every shot was the same from pre-shot to execution, he was just so methodical and a great guy to boot.

https://youtu.be/1HYQjoHjwL4

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I love this match. Landon just puts on a clinic. I had the pleasure of watching him play in December, this guy is a machine. Every shot was the same from pre-shot to execution, he was just so methodical and a great guy to boot.

https://youtu.be/1HYQjoHjwL4
I was at this as well. Earl actually just shut-the-f^*k-up and took his ass whippin. Landon bar-b-q'd him.

M.G.

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If anything, any of these documentation made me HATE Strickland's current behaviour MORE.
He is not able to control his mind, which for a grown man is beyond sad and means he's basically useless.

I really think he should quit competitions and start being full time leisure player and trainer, as I hear as a trainer for the youth or starting out players he's a nice, knowledgeable and decent guy.

KRJ

Support UKRAINE
Silver Member
Shocking, another Earl bashing thread. Goes to show why he's the most popular pool player on the planet. He's the Howard Stern of pool.

But, if you don't like him, why are they watching him play pool?. Too see what he says next :) lol

Last edited:

Texas Carom Club

9ball did to billiards what hiphop did to america
Silver Member
I like him, that 10ball match im still watching im at the middle point,hes amazing

SBC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If anything, any of these documentation made me HATE Strickland's current behaviour MORE.
He is not able to control his mind, which for a grown man is beyond sad and means he's basically useless.

I really think he should quit competitions and start being full time leisure player and trainer, as I hear as a trainer for the youth or starting out players he's a nice, knowledgeable and decent guy.

It's called mental illness and by its nature is beyond the person's control.

Stew boo

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You need to watch his 1983 finals match with Steve Mizerack. Earl was close to his prime then and it was one of the most exciting matches I have seen apart from the poor video quality. Another one is the 1995 world 9 ball match against Efren Reyes. Both of those matches showed how dominant Earl could be when he was at his best. He was by far the best shot maker ever when he was in his prime. The documentary was great in my opinion and really took you into the mindset of a great champion. He talked about how he sat in a ditch and cried after losing continuously to the local pool shark at his pool room when he was a kid. It goes to show you how competitive he was when it came to pool and how bad he wanted to be the best. Another great story was about his gambling match with Mike Sigel when he ran out the last set for 50k and Sigel walked straight out the door. In my opinion even though Sigel was up 50k there was no doubt Earl proved himself the better player that day. I would have given a great deal of money to be a fly on the wall during that match.

Stew boo

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I do not believe Earl is Bi-Polar. I have lived with someone who is for many years and probably have a better idea about how people with that illness act than most doctors do. I believe Earl will act out in matches due to how much he cares about winning. When he is not playing well or things are not going his way it can be very hard on him. Also he will start an argument as a way to pump himself up when he is playing bad. I have been guilty of doing the same thing many times as well. It is just his competitive nature, some players can stay even keel and others wear there emotions on their face.

Badbeat13

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
And lets not forget how bad he wanted a
nickname in his youth. He dubbed himself,
Earl "The squirrel, best pool player in the
whole wide world".... or something to that
affect. Talk about self prognostication, he
got it right. Of course, he earned a better
nickname not too many years later. Earl
"The Pearl" trumps Earl "The Squirrel...lol

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I do not believe Earl is Bi-Polar. I have lived with someone who is for many years and probably have a better idea about how people with that illness act than most doctors do. I believe Earl will act out in matches due to how much he cares about winning. When he is not playing well or things are not going his way it can be very hard on him. Also he will start an argument as a way to pump himself up when he is playing bad. I have been guilty of doing the same thing many times as well. It is just his competitive nature, some players can stay even keel and others wear there emotions on their face.
Bi-"pooler" maybe? Earl is two different people. You have Earl-the-player and just Earl. I've spent a little time around him back in '10 when he came to Tulsa for Gabe's 1p event. He stayed a few days after and was one of the coolest guys to be around. I was amazed at the difference. When he screws his cue together there's no tellin' what you're gonna get.

Pete

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I love Earl at the table. I think he was and sometimes still is the best pool player in the world.

I do believe that his competitiveness spikes his mental illness that is often talked about. He may also suffer from hypoglycemia too. Diabetics can have severe mood swings (I know first hand, why I am living a Keto lifestyle now) from the body chemistry there.

So mixing being someone with all the talent, drive, desire, skill and competitiveness that Earl has, add a touch of dysphoria of where he is in life vs where he thinks he is, a dash of mental illness and dietary issues. Well this might be why. Or he his a rea D-Bag.

Still the same I don't envy him and his life (only his skill). He has very little ($$$) in his life. Is he a house pro anywhere, anymore???