One pocket question

fjk

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Two balls come up on the spot, incoming player has ball in hand behind the head string. I have never seen both balls made in their hole. I can double bank the back ball about half the time. But if I try to force the front ball, the hit is too hard for the back ball to throw.

Can both balls be made? Who has seen it or done it?

Nick B

This is gonna hurt
Silver Member
Never seen both made. Executed well you can have the second ball for a layup but I doubt both. Effectively you are either concentrating on front or back ball.

To make the front ball requires a different angle and speed which tends to make the back ball check up too much

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jtompilot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Two balls come up on the spot, incoming player has ball in hand behind the head string. I have never seen both balls made in their hole. I can double bank the back ball about half the time. But if I try to force the front ball, the hit is too hard for the back ball to throw.

Can both balls be made? Who has seen it or done it?

I have made the front, I’ve made the back, I have made both several times but I agree it’s a fluke, the balls are probably a little clingy to do that.

maha

from way back when
Silver Member
if you can double bank the back ball half the time, ill take you on the road and we will break every poolroom in the country.

TRWpool

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Both balls can be made on the single shot but not on all 9 foot tables and it's not
necessarily a fluke. I've done it numerous times and been close many many more times.

I'm not sure what the conditions must be but I would venture to guess it has to do with table speed combined with a perfect stroke speed. Hit the shot too hard and the back ball can't throw quite enough. Placing the cue ball at precisely the proper angle also would be critical to the outcome.

It can be done, not a fluke as I see it; perfect alignment combined with perfect speed and a smooth stroke. If you want to call that a fluke well, I don't know anyone who can do it a high percentage of the time. So under that criteria I suppose it can be considered a fluke.

Tom

Last edited:

fjk

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
if you can double bank the back ball half the time, ill take you on the road and we will break every poolroom in the country.

Ha, I knew someone would think that. Funny story: about 30 years ago, I was watching some kind of ring game and the shot came up. The guy just smashed them around the table like a break shot. After nothing fell and the guy got through racking, I asked him why he didn't double bank the back ball. He replied something to the effect of he has a higher probability of making a ball just smashing them. I replied I could double bank the back ball more than half the time. Him and another guy who overheard it both wanted to bet me I couldn't make half. They lost.

Once you know the table speed, double banking that back ball is not hard. The problem in one pocket is if you're just trying to cinch the back ball, you often give up something with the front ball (for the times you miss the back).

Last edited:

De420MadHatter

SicBiNature
Silver Member
Kinda what I was thinking. Back ball isn't fluky at all, front ball is imo.
Couple shots on any normal table, and I can wire the back ball.
Make it rattle on the times it doesn't go.

fjk

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
On a side note, I have had a few very good players (150 ball runners good) assure me both could be made. However, they couldn't demonstrate despite lots of attempts

BC21

https://www.playpoolbetter.com
Gold Member
Silver Member
Yes! I had a guy do it twice on two separate nights. I'm sure he was only looking to make the front ball, but he was glad to get that double bank bonus. I've never done it. He lined up slightly off center from the balls and used straight draw, and each time he acted like it was supposed to happen.