I have this beat up Meucci, and I wonder if it is worth getting refinished.

I just purchased this really beat up Meucci, and I am just curious (looking for opinions) on if you think it is worth the cost of getting refinished?

The good, and very surprising thing about the cue, is that it is straight as an arrow (was very surprised about how straight it rolls). Purchased it online, from a seller who was not into pool at all, and knew nothing about pool cues (so it felt like a very risky purchase).

I just really wanted to try out a Black dot shaft (because I had never played with one before).

I really love the way the black dot shaft plays (it hits super nice I think). It has some sort of soft layered tip on it, and that might be in part about why I love the hit so much.

Not sure if it is even worth getting refinished, since there is really nothing special about the cue.

I can't believe how pool players abuse their cues like they do. This cue was really abused, and played with very carelessly, from the looks of it.

Thanks for any thoughts about this.

Would you get it refinished, or would you just shoot with it?

I understand it is probably a stupid question (asking about an average Meucci).

Thanks.

Attachments

• DSCN4807.jpg
    DSCN4807.jpg
    215.3 KB · Views: 896
  • DSCN4808.jpg
    DSCN4808.jpg
    198.5 KB · Views: 889
  • DSCN4810.jpg
    DSCN4810.jpg
    199.7 KB · Views: 886
  • DSCN4809.jpg
    DSCN4809.jpg
    202.4 KB · Views: 879
Last edited:

336Robin

Multiverse Operative
Silver Member
Thats a nice cue if you got it right but the condition, I'd play it and hope to find another shaft one day. I see that a black dot shaft.
As far as retail goes its probably worth what you paid however I've had mixed reviews on them. Its ld turn the dot up when you play and you
will likely like the less amount of squirt. This might open the door to another LD later on for you.

Last edited:

Celophanewrap

Call me Grace
Silver Member
Maybe it's not worth getting refinished, unless it has some personal value to you, but I don't think I'd send it to Meucci to get refinished, you may never get it back.
Find a local guy, maybe someone just starting to repair or build and I bet it's something they might be willing to do more for the experience more than anything else.
If an experienced cuemaker would charge you a couple of hundred maybe the new guy would do it for about half that with no time line of course.
Maybe just tell him you'd like to have it back by Valentines day or next summer or something like that

Thats a nice cue if you got it right but the condition, I'd play it and hope to find another shaft one day. I see that a black dot shaft.
As far as retail goes its probably worth what you paid however I've had mixed reviews on them. Its ld turn the dot up when you play and you
will likely like the less amount of squirt. This might open the door to another LD later on for you.

The shaft does seem pretty thin, but I really like it. I just wish the cue was mint. Someone really abused it.

Maybe it's not worth getting refinished, unless it has some personal value to you, but I don't think I'd send it to Meucci to get refinished, you may never get it back.
Find a local guy, maybe someone just starting to repair or build and I bet it's something they might be willing to do more for the experience more than anything else.
If an experienced cuemaker would charge you a couple of hundred maybe the new guy would do it for about half that with no time line of course.
Maybe just tell him you'd like to have it back by Valentines day or next summer or something like that

I know that Scott Sherbine (who has been in the cue repair business since as long as I can remember) only charges $100. The local cue repair guy is a good idea, but not sure if there are any around my area. Will have to ask around. Thanks

Johnny Rosato

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The shaft does seem pretty thin, but I really like it. I just wish the cue was mint. Someone really abused it.
You've always emphasized the point that you didn't care how beat up a cue was. I'm not gonna waste time looking over old threads, but I've seen you say that more than 10 times!

GoldCrown

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
if you think it is worth the cost of getting refinished?

I understand it is probably a stupid question (asking about an average Meucci).

Thanks.

If you like it and can afford it ...do it. There are no rules. I spent over $200 converting a $35Dufferin.

Last edited:
You've always emphasized the point that you didn't care how beat up a cue was. I'm not gonna waste time looking over old threads, but I've seen you say that more than 10 times!

Lol, yeah, you are right. I have said it in every single WTB thread that I ever created (only because I wanted a decent quality cue for cheap, and all I really cared about was the shaft being ding free, and the cue being fairly straight). I guess I asked simply to hint at asking if a cue like this would be worth refinishing (not that I would or could pay to have it done). Was just curious.

If you like it and can afford it ...do it. There are no rules. I spent over $200 converting a $35Dufferin.

I understand what you are saying. I was thinking more along the lines of real world value of the cue, even in 100% mint condition, compared to the value of it in its current beat up condition.

I can only assume that the cue is not worth getting refinished. It was probably a really stupid question.

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I understand what you are saying. I was thinking more along the lines of real world value of the cue, even in 100% mint condition, compared to the value of it in its current beat up condition.

I can only assume that the cue is not worth getting refinished. It was probably a really stupid question.

As you may well know ....meucci is not exactly every ones favorite brand of cue therefore price reflects their reputation. With that said like the poster above said....only you can decide if its worth it to ( you ) to refinish it or not.

Btw ......there are no stupid questions. Only uninformed people asking their peers that are more experienced in a certain subject for their opinions.

ceebee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
As you may well know ....meucci is not exactly every ones favorite brand of cue therefore price reflects their reputation. With that said like the poster above said....only you can decide if its worth it to ( you ) to refinish it or not.

Btw ......there are no stupid questions. Only uninformed people asking their peers that are more experienced in a certain subject for their opinions.

I'm still ill interested in buying the cue. Not for any re-do at all ....

Yeah, I think that most players out there would rather have a Lucasi (which are made in China) then a Meucci these days (I do not know). Lucasi seems to be a very popular brand these days (maybe among most of the league players). I think it is kind of sad that cues from a cue company in China are more desirable (to American pool players) then a US cue maker who has been around far longer than that cue company, from China. I have to admit though, Lucasi makes a very high quality cue, but I think their prices are right up there with the prices that Meucci charges for their cues.

Hopefully now that Meucci is sponsoring all of these great pro players, and making good quality cues, with much better quality control, their popularity might be getting a lot better.

I am just happy I finally got to try out a black dot shaft. It hits really nice, in my opinion.

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yeah, I think that most players out there would rather have a Lucasi (which are made in China) then a Meucci these days (I do not know). Lucasi seems to be a very popular brand these days (maybe among most of the league players). I think it is kind of sad that cues from a cue company in China are more desirable (to American pool players) then a US cue maker who has been around far longer than that cue company, from China. I have to admit though, Lucasi makes a very high quality cue, but I think their prices are right up there with the prices that Meucci charges for their cues.

Hopefully now that Meucci is sponsoring all of these great pro players, and making good quality cues, with much better quality control, their popularity might be getting a lot better.

I am just happy I finally got to try out a black dot shaft. It hits really nice, in my opinion.

I play with a meucci gambler now with a black dot shaft.....well.most of the time lol. I switch between it and an adam/ helmsteter balabushka GB 3. I used to have a meucci with a skinny shaft and wish I had never let it go. You can really move the cue ball around with those skinny shafts.

Yea bob has started sponsoring players. I was in his shop playing league one night and got to see Skylar there and bob was going over some shots with him on an adjacent table. I was more interested in watching them while I was playing my match and sure enough I lost lol.

I have heard that bob has gotten more involved in day to day operations the last year or so and that quality has improved some what.

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm still ill interested in buying the cue. Not for any re-do at all ....

I was interested in it also for several reasons ...aside from the fact I like meuccis and play with one now. The color...design and the skinny shaft.

As for intentions of refinishing....had not really thought about that. I live 5 minutes from the meucci factory and Scott Erwin is about 45 minutes away if I ever need a meucci refinished.

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member

Some answers in this thread seem to be sarcastic, but believe it or not, Meucci's are still popular and salable, the older the better. They have a following and some people collect them.

On these fancier models, of course it's worth it to get it refinished by Scot. You will probably get your money back and you will have the pleasure of having a cue that will look better than when it left the factory.