Help with value of Mike Lancaster cue?

I tried my best to search the forum, and online, but I can't find any values for any Mike Lancaster cues (the ones that I did find, were sold, and the original asking prices deleted).

I think he might have been from North Carolina (that is all that I know).

Maybe some of you NC locals can tell me if he made a good quality cue, and how much a plain jane cue like this is worth (what a fair price for it would be, in good used condition)?

Thanks for any opinions about the cue.

Attachments

• cbdbac9953fe4d6bbb07aa55ff25fd75.jpg
    cbdbac9953fe4d6bbb07aa55ff25fd75.jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 483

mjkeil62

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
His cues seem to be solid. I've only heard good things about them and what I've seen is the construction looks like he knows what he is doing. Not sure if he is still building though. Someone else might have that info. Just check what others have sold for. This is the most basic one I've seen. I would say $150-$225. Myself I would snatch it up if I could get it for that price range. But I like basic cues and I could be off on the price range.

Last edited:
His cues seem to be solid. I've only heard good things about them and what I've seen is the construction looks like he know what he is doing. Not sure if he is still building though. Someone else might have that info. Just check what others have sold for. This is the most basic one I've seen. I would say $150-$225. Myself I would snatch it up if I could get it for that price range. But I like basic cues and I could be off on the price range.

Thanks for the info. Seller wants $250. Seemed kind of high for an unknown (to me) plain jane.

jasonlaus

Rep for Smorg
Silver Member
I played one in the 90's, if i remember right the sold them at Mothers in Charlotte. Cue had a thinner handle and i liked the way it played, no idea how much it was though
Jason

mjkeil62

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks for the info. Seller wants $250. Seemed kind of high for an unknown (to me) plain jane.

I wouldn't pay that. His cues are good but there isn't much market for them anymore. I really think he quit making them and that's the reason people aren't interested in them. I haven't seen a new one for awhile. Wouldn't call him an unknown. He's just not a big name guy who's cues were more popular in his local area (not so much nationally) years ago.

mikemosconi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I wouldn't pay that. His cues are good but there isn't much market for them anymore. I really think he quit making them and that's the reason people aren't interested in them. I haven't seen a new one for awhile. Wouldn't call him an unknown. He's just not a big name guy who's cues were more popular in his local area (not so much nationally) years ago.

I think price on a cue depends upon several factors- some objective such as condition, materials, design, etc. other factors in a cue purchase should be very subjective according to the buyer: the cue build specs, YOUR liking of the cue's playability, and I would not rate resale value as high unless you plan to sell it and not play with it.

This cue looks like it has fantastic Curly Maple - which some people love in a cue - this looks like some of the best i have seen - so if it played great for me- $250 would not be a problem at all for this cue.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think it's time for a sub-forum for justinb386 or maybe a podcast, "justinb386 asks about cues"

Kevin Lindstrom

14.1 Addict
Silver Member
I tried my best to search the forum, and online, but I can't find any values for any Mike Lancaster cues (the ones that I did find, were sold, and the original asking prices deleted).

I think he might have been from North Carolina (that is all that I know).

Maybe some of you NC locals can tell me if he made a good quality cue, and how much a plain jane cue like this is worth (what a fair price for it would be, in good used condition)?

Thanks for any opinions about the cue.

I have a Mike Lancaster cue very similar to the one pictured. It is the second or third cue I have had from him over the years. The cues I have had from him were very nice for the money. The one cue I sold had some of the best shaft wood I had ever seen. My current one is the same way. I would buy that cue for 250 in a heartbeat. If you don't want it put me in contact with the buyer so I can get it.

Thanks

Kevin

Moet.1977

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hell that beautiful wood in it and just knowing he makes a decent cue makes it worth 250

Most of the great players have said some of the best cues they ever played with was plain maple cues. Think Efren still plays his maple mezz cue.

I really hope that the cue is worth at least $150-$175, because I am trading a laptop for it tonight.

Thanks for your reply.

Last edited:
I have a Mike Lancaster cue very similar to the one pictured. It is the second or third cue I have had from him over the years. The cues I have had from him were very nice for the money. The one cue I sold had some of the best shaft wood I had ever seen. My current one is the same way. I would buy that cue for 250 in a heartbeat. If you don't want it put me in contact with the buyer so I can get it.

Thanks

Kevin

Thanks for the info. Does the shaft in the pic look decent, and similar to yours? It appears to be a very thick shaft, just going by the pic. I hope I like the way it hits. Also hoping it is fairly straight, because the person is unwilling to meet me at a bar, so I can do a roll test. I will just have to do the sight down test, while turning it and looking down it.

Hell that beautiful wood in it and just knowing he makes a decent cue makes it worth 250

Most of the great players have said some of the best cues they ever played with was plain maple cues. Think Efren still plays his maple mezz cue.

I would like it a lot more if it were nicely figured BEM, instead of Curly Maple.

Moet.1977

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
U made a good trade when I lived down south I seen a couple of his cues and both people loved theirs.

Now u got a nice keeper to b proud of so keep and use it.

U made a good trade when I lived down south I seen a couple of his cues and both people loved theirs.

Now u got a nice keeper to b proud of so keep and use it.

Still dreaming of this super sharp looking Dayton cue I missed out on a few years ago, for $450. The guy who purchased it, put it right back up for sale for twice that much. I swear that I would have held on to that cue for as long as I possibly could have. I was able to hold onto a really nice Jacoby I had (that I really loved) for around a year, but I think I would have really wanted to keep that Dayton cue forever. It was that sharp looking. I can only imagine that it hit every bit as good as it looked.