Super Glue, Gorilla Glue, Loctite - Preferences?

r9ball

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Any clear winner in using Super Glue, Loc-tite, or a Gorilla glue or Gorilla Gel for tips?
Been doing tips for locals for about 30 years. I originally used epoxy,then Super Glue Gel (which I don't think available). Been using Loc-tite 401 for years. Haven't tried the Gorilla products yet. Just looking for opinions/success/info.
A couple times I had to try something different because a couple ferrules materials would not cooperate in bonding.

Thanks

GBCues

Damn, still .002 TIR!
Gold Member
Silver Member
I use 401 exclusively for tips. It's more expensive,but it works consistently.

cueman

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I used Loctite Ultra Control Gel for several years and recently started using Loctite professional even though I don't like how thin it is as it is messy. It holds tips to some ferrules that the gel does not work as well on.
I have a customer who swears Gorilla brand super glue is the best he has ever seen for holding tips on. I have not tried that one yet.

peter_gunn

])3a]) s']['rok3
Silver Member
I use loctite 480 black glue.
It holds even the most stubborn tips like hammerhead and white diamond in place

Sent from my Mi A2 Lite using Tapatalk

cueman

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I use loctite 480 black glue.
It holds even the most stubborn tips like hammerhead and white diamond in place

Sent from my Mi A2 Lite using Tapatalk

Is this a fast glue like super glue? How long before dry?

captainjko

Kirk
Silver Member
Is this a fast glue like super glue? How long before dry?
Here's what I found on it...
Provide fast curing of a wide range of materials, including metals, plastics and rubbers

Designed for the assembly of difficult-to-bond materials which require uniform stress distribution and high tensile and/or shear strength

Rubber-reinforced adhesive offering increased flexibility and peel strength along with enhanced shock resistance

Good resistance in humid environments

Agency Approvals / Specifications NSF/ANSI 61
Applications Bonding Close Fitting Parts
Color Black
Cure Type Moisture Cure
Fixture Time 90 sec.
Full Cure Temperature (°C) 25
Full Cure Temperature (°F) 77
Full Cure Time 24 hr.
Gap Fill (in.) 0.006
Key Characteristics Usability: Easy to Use, Toughened, Viscosity: Low Viscosity
Number of Components 1 Part
Physical Form Liquid
Shear Strength, Grit Blasted Steel (psi) 3800
Specific Gravity (g/l @ 25°C) 1.1
Substrates Metal, Rubber
Technology Ethyl Cyanoacrylate
Temperature Range (°C) -54 to 82
Temperature Range (°F) -65 to 180
Viscosity (Brookfield mPa.s (cP)) 200
Viscosity Temperature (°C) 25
Viscosity Temperature (°F) 77

JC

Coos Cues
I use brown gorilla poly glue now on every tip.

Zero failure rate is acceptable. One is way too many. I was never able to achieve zero with super glue and have with poly.

It also doesn't wick as deep on some tips like super glue does.

I don't like having to worry if my glue is "fresh" or not either.

JC

Last edited:

cueman

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I use brown gorilla poly glue now on every tip.

Zero failure rate is acceptable. One is way too many. I was never able to achieve zero with super glue and have with poly.

It also doesn't wick as deep on some tips like super glue does.

I don't like having to worry if my glue is "fresh" or not either.

JC

How long until you can trim the tip down tho the ferrules with gorilla urethane glue?

Kim Bye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Loctite 401 or 454. On cheap ferrule materials I use the Loctite primer and on some break tips I use Scotch Weld DP190.
Did over a thousand tip changes in 2018 and I think about every tip stayed on.

JC

Coos Cues
How long until you can trim the tip down tho the ferrules with gorilla urethane glue?

I wait about an hour if I'm in a hurry. I guess I could experiment to find minimum but haven't done so yet because I'm rarely in a hurry. I understand this glue wouldn't be practical for a kiosk at an event or a walk in but my main concern is reliability not time.

I actually tried it by accident a long time ago because I was staying with my folks out of town at a tourney and my tip fell off which a renowned local repair person put on with cyano. All my dad had was some brown gorilla glue so I said what the hell and lightly sanded it and put it back on just propping it under a shelf for a clamp. I gave that cue to a buddy right about the time I started building cues in 2014 and saw him again a few years later and the same tip was on. So I remembered what it was on there with and tried it on my own cue. Then on a couple cues I was having a hell of a time getting tips to stay on.

Since I started using it I have had zero tips come off. Usually you cannot easily break them off with a pliers when replacing them later like you usually can with super glue. I consider this a good sign that they are really on there. Just reading the threads about all the different super glue techniques people swear by on this forum tells me it's temperamental. Poly glue not so much. Wipe the thing off on both sides and put a dab on, clamp it lightly and done. Not even sure how important the surfaces are really with this glue. Seems like not much.

Don't get me wrong not many ever came off with cyano but even that one is embarrassing to me. I was disappointed when that tip came off the "pro" put on for me way back when because it was an expensive tip. Gorilla has yet to embarrass me. Been using it exclusively now for almost 5 years.

JC

Last edited:

Mcues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I used Loctite Ultra Control Gel for several years and recently started using Loctite professional even though I don't like how thin it is as it is messy. It holds tips to some ferrules that the gel does not work as well on.
I have a customer who swears Gorilla brand super glue is the best he has ever seen for holding tips on. I have not tried that one yet.

What I found about the Loctite ultra gel is that if you don't use it for a few days, you better not use the first drop, dispose of that. I don't know why but proven over and over. :)

Mario

JC

Coos Cues
What I found about the Loctite ultra gel is that if you don't use it for a few days, you better not use the first drop, dispose of that. I don't know why but proven over and over. :)

Mario

This^^^^^

Is exactly why I quit using cyano for tips.

Then one day it's the second drop too.

I know some may not worry about a single tip you put on falling off once in a while. It bothers me though.

JC

Last edited:

Texas Carom Club

9ball did to billiards what hiphop did to america
Silver Member
i dont have a lathe, but ive used super glue and some gorilla glue i already had layin around

had success with both

HueblerHustler7

AndrewActionG
Silver Member
Love locktite blue lable Gel, swear by it. The new Gorilla clear gel is the tit's as well, can't go wrong with either of them, but I think I may be starting to prefer the Gorilla glue.

Mcues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
gel

Haven't had a tip fall in years and I already gave away the why. :)

Mario