What is the best way to split a Kamui tip

cesarmorales

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I like my tips short and I have read where other people cut Kamui tips in half before using them.

If you have done this, how did you do it, looking for suggestions. I figure use a razor blade but there could be other options.

Apocalypse2017

Welcome to the resistance
Silver Member
Just split a Kamui S on Monday, can't stand a huge tip.

I just used a sharp razor blade, came out ok. Tried it out last night and works great.

Kamuitipsdotcom

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hi there, assuming all tips are created equally, then I would say, go ahead and split the tip and use it short... Kamui tips are not created equally to other brands of tips. My suggestion, trying the Kamui tip for the first time, start it out tall and take layers away to find "your" sweet spot (not your buddy's). When you find your sweet spot then you can do that every time you get a Kamui tip installed... BECAUSE all Kamui tips are created equally. ;-)

When you take too much off of the tip you might as well be playing without a tip. Remember it this way, the more tip you take away, the less flex and give the tip has to the cue ball.

Good luck!,

Kamui
Super Billiards Expo booth #132

cesarmorales

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks for your suggestion Kamui rep.

What do you think is the shortest a Kamui tip could be and play well.

Four of my friends have Judd cues and with two shafts each, we have been testing tips like crazy. All four of these Judd cues hit the same, moving from one model to the next or even a custom Judd, they all feel the same. Mario was the first to try a Kamui SS black and we all share our experiences with how our tips are playing, letting each other borrow our cues. I have been trying his SS since it was first installed and it is down to about Nickel height and plays the best from what we have tested.

Kamuitipsdotcom

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hi there,
Then this is a good test. A nickel thickness is fine. You found the performance sweetspot you like. You can also find that same sweetspot in a Black soft but a little taller. So, the difference, if you really needed to stroke the ball with english you will get more flex from the Black Soft than you would with the Black SS being so close to the ferrule. Maybe you do not see it, and that is because there may rarely be a time where you need to really stroke the cue ball hard. There isn't a right answer here or a wrong answer.. I am just helping you stretch your mind about the ability you can have with the Kamui tips.

Thanks for your suggestion Kamui rep.

What do you think is the shortest a Kamui tip could be and play well.

Four of my friends have Judd cues and with two shafts each, we have been testing tips like crazy. All four of these Judd cues hit the same, moving from one model to the next or even a custom Judd, they all feel the same. Mario was the first to try a Kamui SS black and we all share our experiences with how our tips are playing, letting each other borrow our cues. I have been trying his SS since it was first installed and it is down to about Nickel height and plays the best from what we have tested.

cesarmorales

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Of the four players in the group, three like the short SS tip best. The forth player is set on the Soft that is about twice as high as the SS. All of us play pretty softly during regular play but try Corey Deuel type shots stroking the cue ball hard during testing. Three of us feel the shorter SS tips works better. Thanks for the suggest, it was something we sort of tested already.

We also wonder about how that soft will play when it gets short, maybe like a Medium?

So, we are going to try spliting the SS tips to get to the sweet spot from the get go.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
... My suggestion, ...find "your" sweet spot (not your buddy's).

Good luck!,

Kamui
Super Billiards Expo booth #132
Eww
eww-it-smells-real-bad.jpg

JoeyA

Efren's Mini-Tourn BACKER
Silver Member
Hi there,
Then this is a good test. A nickel thickness is fine. You found the performance sweetspot you like. You can also find that same sweetspot in a Black soft but a little taller. So, the difference, if you really needed to stroke the ball with english you will get more flex from the Black Soft than you would with the Black SS being so close to the ferrule. Maybe you do not see it, and that is because there may rarely be a time where you need to really stroke the cue ball hard. There isn't a right answer here or a wrong answer.. I am just helping you stretch your mind about the ability you can have with the Kamui tips.

I'm going to agree with this. I liked the Black SS very short, a nickel in height/thickness seems about right but I like the Black Soft the full height that it came with and a nickel curvature to the top of the top.

The Saw

Juicy Pop in 2016!
Silver Member
I was out of black softs last time and split a ss. I like mine short, like a nickel thickness, maybe a little less. Kamui's are for sure best tips out there now but my god, do I miss the old Moori's!!! I get about 2-1/2 to 3 months out of them before they turn rock hard. When I played with Moori's I played much more and would get 10-12 months out of a tip. Even after that much time the leather was still supple, they would simply delaminate. If kamui made a tip like the old Moori's I'd pay what ever they wanted.....