:: Kamui Chalk :: 1.21a Vs 0.98a

Jive

Professional Racker
Silver Member
I've been using Kamui Chalks for more than a year now, infact i've been using them since they came out on the market. I've been through quite a few pieces of them now, and contrary to popular belief..they use up pretty dam fast as well..

To date i've gone through 2pcs of 0.98a and 1.5pcs of 1.21a. They use up fast cos i let anybody and everybody try them.

Anyway i won't go into the whole discussion as to whether they are worth the money blah blah blah....
I use a custom cue that's way over priced by non cue collector standard and i still can't beat the house pro in my pool room when he uses the warped house cue.
My overpriced cue, fully tooled case, custom bridge, custom chalk holder, layered tip and magical kamui chalk didn't help me beat the guy and i doubt they'll ever be any good for that purpose.

What i wanna discuss here is the difference between the Kamui Chalk 0.98 and 1.21, the former being the newer version of the two. I'm not adding Blue Diamond, Pre Flag, Cosmos, etc..into this discussion, this is just all about Kamui Chalk and for all the haters out there you can move on cos you won't like what you read here.

Before i proceed here are some pictures of the 2 chalks.

Incase you can't see clearly, the chalk on the left is the newer 1.21a.

:: Aesthetics ::
They both look the same if you're colour blind.
Besides the obvious blue and orange differentiation in packaging the chalks are identical in size. The slight difference in the chalk colour is that the 1.21 is slightly darker in blue as compared to the 0.98. However if you use the 0.98 long enough you won't see much of the light blue anymore and both will look pretty much the same.

:: Texture ::
The 0.98 is more clay like, it's a little pastey and the chalk powder is actually very very fine...its like comparing Baking Flour to Regular Chalk where the Flour is so much finer.
However it won't stay clay-like or pastey if you don't store this chalk well. There's a good reason why the package has a Zip-Lock function to it, it's to allow you to store your chalk when you're not using them.
This chalk does "dry" up..it happened to mine (not pictured) when i went overseas for 2 weeks and left it unattended in my home pool room, plus it was winter so it was dry. When i checked the chalk the surface became powdery and i tried scrapping the top layer off (probably scrapped a good $1-2 off...) then i saw he same colour like it was brand new an it was pastey again.

The 1.21 has a texture between the 0.98 and regular chalk. The powder is still very fine like the 0.98, however it's less pastey or clay-like. I've never used the Zip-Lock bag for the chalk and it's pretty much the same texture as day one, doesn't really dry out. Or not that i've noticed.

:: Difference ::
I won't discuss the playability, i'll just discuss the difference in characteristics.

The 0.98 really does stay on tips MUCH longer, i'm sure its due to it's pastey like texture therefore you don't need to chalk up as often as you do with the 1.21.
Because the 0.98 stays on tips longer, the markings it leaves on cue ball also stays there longer...it is an absolute B*itch to clean the CB if you use this chalk.
I have a ball cleaning machine at home and i have to leave the CB in there for extra spins and apply more cleaning agent on the CB...
However, because the chalk stays on either the CB or on your tip...very little goes on your table...Yes you'll see that it stains the table with it's light blue chalk but it cleans away pretty easy.

The 1.21 is pretty much the opposite of the 0.98. Yes it stays stay on the tip longer than regular chalk but not compared to the 0.98. When you apply the chalk on the tip you can immediately tell it isn't as pastey (compared to 0.98)l and has a slightly closer feel to regular chalk.
It doesn't stain the CB as badly and it cleans away very easy like regular chalk marks on CB. Like the 0.98 it leaves light blue stains on tables but wipes away easy.
HOWEVER...because the powder is so so so fine like flour and that it isn't as pastey as 0.98, these powder drops on the table and i suspect that it's so fine it "seeps" into the cloth. I vacuum my table and clean my table with brush and cloth but since using the 1.21 i get very very dirty hands and that leads to my shafts bluing dam quick.
My table looks brand new and clean after i clean it but the stain always appears from somewhere..it is terribly annoying!

Some might argue that it's probably stain left from prolong use and built up..but trust me it's not the case because it's a new cloth.

I used the 0.98 when i still had my older cloth on, my hands would never be dirty and i don't even maintain and clean the table as much as i do now. Late last year i changed over to Z9 (Made in Germany) and i took extra care of the cloth with more maintenance. It was then that i started with the 1.21...the cloth still looks brand new..but the hidden stains incredible.

:: Summary ::
Personally i like the 0.98 much much better. I just bought another 2 pieces. I still have another 1.5pcs of 1.21 to go through...i'll probably use it in a pool hall or sell it to some friends who wants it for cheap. I won't use it on my home table anymore...

Don't get me wrong, the 1.21 works well and works brilliant. But i play at home pretty often and i rather have to scrub balls often than to have dirty hands when i play...

From what i gather many players actually went back to the 0.98 after trying the 1.21 for a while.

Anyway this thread is NOT a review, it's more of a discussion of your experience with Kamui Chalk and how i think they compare with each other. What are you experiences? Do share. :)

Celophanewrap

Call me Grace
Silver Member
Anyway i won't go into the whole discussion as to whether they are worth the money blah blah blah....
I use a custom cue that's way over priced by non cue collector standard and i still can't beat the house pro in my pool room when he uses the warped house cue.
My overpriced cue, fully tooled case, custom bridge, custom chalk holder, layered tip and magical kamui chalk didn't help me beat the guy and i doubt they'll ever be any good for that purpose.

Maybe pray more?
I have used both and I like them both, but I like the 1.21 better. Without getting into the science, it just feels better, less "cakey".
After an evening of using the 0.98, I have stains on my hands and shaft (get your minds out of the gutter!) and the residue of the 0.98 is almost oily. The 1.21 is a bit more powdery, chalky, messy but still less than the traditional chalks. After chalking with both the 0.98 seems to last a little longer but leaves blue marks on everything it touches.
Has it helped my game? I dunno, really. I never really miscued much and still don't, I just chalk a little less when I use this stuff, maybe because I spend less time chalking and more time shooting? But I can't imagine that it has made that much difference. Sometimes there are things that aren't necessarily magic, but that make you feel "bullet proof", that give you that extra little bit of confidence, I suppose just by reputation this chalk has done some of that. But when you get right down to it all the gimmicks in the world, the $30 chalk the magic black layered tip, the 400 piece pie configuration LD shaft, the custom magic cue with angel dust in the joint and the butt made from the wood of the Banion tree that Christ rested under between sets with Judas, you take all that magic and put it together, and a better player will probably still beat you with a warped bar cue, but I digress...
I like the 1.21 better

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Anyway this thread is NOT a review, it's more of a discussion of your experience with Kamui Chalk and how i think they compare with each other. What are you experiences? Do share. :)

Sure read like a review, and a very good one at that :thumbup:

I never used Kamui chalk, and probably never will unless Kamui wants to sponsor my son :) but wanted to post to say that you did a great job discussing the differences in the chalks and I hope that people do not start posting how other chalks are better, cheaper, etc..., at least not in this thread.

PS.. if you end up with too much high-end pool equipment, feel free to send some my way to help you clear the clutter ;)

cleary

Honestly, I'm a liar.
Silver Member
I first tried Kamui chalk at the DCC in 2011 before it was on the market or even common knowledge, a Japanese friend of mine had a cube. I loved it. It was the .98, real gummy and applied like putty. Since then, I've went through many cubes. I chalk every shot for the most part, just out of habit. I'd say I open a new cube every 3-4 months. I have lots of cubes with 1/3 left, I just save them incase I run out and need some. I tried the 1.21 and it wasn't for me. I didn't feel I got the same "grip" on the cueball. The price has never bothered me.

Eagleshot

Mark Nanashee
Silver Member
I remember reading the original version would break down after being in freezing conditions. Imagine you left it in your trunk on cold winter nights.

They reformulated to prevent this from occurring.

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i like the .98 better, bites and releases the rock, i like it lots. and it does last a long time. IMO its the best chalk ever. I dont use it all the time, just mostly for gambling. not sure why that is, but it is....

Jive

Professional Racker
Silver Member
Maybe pray more?
I have used both and I like them both, but I like the 1.21 better. Without getting into the science, it just feels better, less "cakey".
After an evening of using the 0.98, I have stains on my hands and shaft (get your minds out of the gutter!) and the residue of the 0.98 is almost oily. The 1.21 is a bit more powdery, chalky, messy but still less than the traditional chalks. After chalking with both the 0.98 seems to last a little longer but leaves blue marks on everything it touches.
Has it helped my game? I dunno, really. I never really miscued much and still don't, I just chalk a little less when I use this stuff, maybe because I spend less time chalking and more time shooting? But I can't imagine that it has made that much difference. Sometimes there are things that aren't necessarily magic, but that make you feel "bullet proof", that give you that extra little bit of confidence, I suppose just by reputation this chalk has done some of that. But when you get right down to it all the gimmicks in the world, the $30 chalk the magic black layered tip, the 400 piece pie configuration LD shaft, the custom magic cue with angel dust in the joint and the butt made from the wood of the Banion tree that Christ rested under between sets with Judas, you take all that magic and put it together, and a better player will probably still beat you with a warped bar cue, but I digress...
I like the 1.21 better

I completely agree with you that the 1.21 leaves lesser stain. It was on of the reason why i bought it cos i was tired of scrubbing the CB. Then i realise it left a heck lot more stain IN the table...so now i'm back to 0.98.
Yup, i've resorted to LD Prayers now...hope it works. :smile:

Jive

Professional Racker
Silver Member
Sure read like a review, and a very good one at that :thumbup:

I never used Kamui chalk, and probably never will unless Kamui wants to sponsor my son :) but wanted to post to say that you did a great job discussing the differences in the chalks and I hope that people do not start posting how other chalks are better, cheaper, etc..., at least not in this thread.

PS.. if you end up with too much high-end pool equipment, feel free to send some my way to help you clear the clutter ;)

Thanks for the kind words. Well i consider it part review part discussion. Would like to hear about other users opinion on what they like best and why.
Thanks again!~

Jive

Professional Racker
Silver Member
I first tried Kamui chalk at the DCC in 2011 before it was on the market or even common knowledge, a Japanese friend of mine had a cube. I loved it. It was the .98, real gummy and applied like putty. Since then, I've went through many cubes. I chalk every shot for the most part, just out of habit. I'd say I open a new cube every 3-4 months. I have lots of cubes with 1/3 left, I just save them incase I run out and need some. I tried the 1.21 and it wasn't for me. I didn't feel I got the same "grip" on the cueball. The price has never bothered me.

Yup totally agree that the 0.98 feels like it sticks on the tip better.

Jive

Professional Racker
Silver Member
I remember reading the original version would break down after being in freezing conditions. Imagine you left it in your trunk on cold winter nights.

They reformulated to prevent this from occurring.

I actually believe that part..0.98 would dry out if not kept properly..especially during winter.

Jive

Professional Racker
Silver Member
i like the .98 better, bites and releases the rock, i like it lots. and it does last a long time. IMO its the best chalk ever. I dont use it all the time, just mostly for gambling. not sure why that is, but it is....

Haha so has it been a good goodluck charm so far?

nobcitypool

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have a cube of 1.21 and will use it when my present cube of .98 runs out. I really like the .98. My first cube lasted over 6 months, there still about 1/4 of it left.

conetip

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My 1st cube of 0.98 is still about 1/3 left.
I like your chalk holders.
Once you get used to the Kamui chalk, it is hard to use other chalks.
I have not tried or even seen the 1.21 yet.
Neil

poolnoob

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I like .98 better

In fact i just bought another 7 pieces of Kamui, 2 for myself and 5 for another friend of mine. Iirc Eric mention leaving in the car in summer time and baking it makes it last longer, have you tried it ? Where do you get those nice looking chalk holders?

Jive

Professional Racker
Silver Member
In fact i just bought another 7 pieces of Kamui, 2 for myself and 5 for another friend of mine. Iirc Eric mention leaving in the car in summer time and baking it makes it last longer, have you tried it ? Where do you get those nice looking chalk holders?

Hey Daric,

Which Kamui did you buy? 0.98 or 1.21?

I don't think there's any cause for worry in Singapore cos its very humid there. The only time there's anything to worry about is when it's in an air conditioning room..

I got the Aluminium one from Maik and the Silver one from Branpureza both from AZ :)

poolnoob

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I bought .98 for myself, my friend ordered 4 of .98 and 1 of 1.21. All are beta version not the alpha.
I keep it inside wrapper when not in use.
Have you got yourself the Bonus Ball ball set yet? Or a Qpod chalk holder to go with your Kamui?

Question: How do you take out the chalk from the chalk holders, the fit is too tight to pry out without damaging the chalk.

Last edited:
I actually believe that part..0.98 would dry out if not kept properly..especially during winter.

I'm sure I read a post from a kamui rep stating the zip lock was not designed to keep the chalk in - it was just aesthetically pleasing. Whether that's true or not, I don't know, but my first cube dried out terribly when I kept it in a blue diamond cardboard box, whilst my second cube is still fresh as a daisy in the zip lock.

I certainly agree kamui chalk can dry out in the wrong conditions. As for the chalk itself, it's great, essential if you use their glaze-prone tips. But it makes a mess of the CB, so expect kicks galore.

Jive

Professional Racker
Silver Member
I bought .98 for myself, my friend ordered 4 of .98 and 1 of 1.21. All are beta version not the alpha.
I keep it inside wrapper when not in use.
Have you got yourself the Bonus Ball ball set yet? Or a Qpod chalk holder to go with your Kamui?

Question: How do you take out the chalk from the chalk holders, the fit is too tight to pry out without damaging the chalk.

What's the bonus ball set? Didn't get the Qpod figured i already have 2 chalk holders for the Kamuis.

The Black Aluminium one has a hold in the bottom so it's easy to get the chalk out.
For the Silver one it has a hole as well but a round plate sits inside the holder so you can just push it and the chalk comes out. Here's some pictures to give you a better understanding.

Kamuitipsdotcom

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The wrapper serves 2 purposes.
1. Authenticity
2. keep your cue case clean from chalk dust.

The chalk does not have any moisture in it.

Jive

Professional Racker
Silver Member
The wrapper serves 2 purposes.
1. Authenticity
2. keep your cue case clean from chalk dust.

The chalk does not have any moisture in it.

Then is there an explanation as to why the 0.98 changes texture when left exposed? I've gone through a couple of cubes to know its not an isolated issue.