Jayson vs Mika - Turning Stone Semi Finals - On YouTube

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
... Does getting pissed off EVER help improve your performance at the table? I've seen many folks melt down. I've never seen it help. ...

Have you watched Earl much? Sometimes he plays better. Sometimes he plays worse. Sometimes his opponent plays worse. Sometimes the guys on neighboring tables play worse.

markgw

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
jayson shaw's amazing performance, all 22 minutes of it.

http://youtu.be/iy1yv8pey6s

clinic city!!! The only thing I saw Mika do wrong was scratch on the break. He didn't get many offensive opportunities. That was just an offensive onslaught, there's nothing for Mika to do except tip his hat and move down the road

Last edited:

Cardigan Kid

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I wished there wasn't strategic edits and leave the entire match in context. The cue throwing is interrupted, and also, another visual interruption when mika gets annoyed and tosses a ball around the table conceding the last game with most of the rack left.

TomInFaribo

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
No editing should be allowed. Too easy to make a person look good or bad. Love to see Mika get pounded. Have no love for the guy as I have seen him do some pretty shady things over the years.

jeffj2h

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Regarding editing video, someone did that to the Efren vs Earl match of a year ago. They cut out all the time between shots. So it's shot... Two seconds... Shot...

They must have spent many hours doing this and the result is it destroys the match. A person that is interested in this match is also interested in the full commentary and in trying to think of what the players will do next. The video is unwatchable.

KRJ

Support UKRAINE
Silver Member
A bad day. Everybody has them.

Exactly, and he still did not have a bad day. He missed one shot before it was 8-0, and even then, it was a very difficult shot.

Heck, I wish league players behaved as good as Mika did in this match ;) He was frustrated, but hey, it's how he pays his bill, I get pissed when I got my arse kicked too. Everyone does :cool:

spartan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This semi easily shortest ever LOL. Great stuff
Will the other semi and final be posted soon?:D

spartan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Heck, I wish league players behaved as good as Mika did in this match ;) He was frustrated, but hey, it's how he pays his bill, I get pissed when I got my arse kicked too. Everyone does :cool:

Difference is
1) Mika is top pro not a league player. So comparing apples and chairs
2) at least 99% of pros do not behave badly like him so it is not a good defence to justify his bad behaviour :)

seven_7days

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What are others thoughts on the censoring of tournament match video's ???

Would you rather the match was just left in tact, the way it happened,
or are you alright with someone taking it upon themselves to decide what
you should view ?

They should've censored the whole match.
Rape is still illegal.

Colonel

Raised by Wolves in a Pool Hall
Silver Member
Sets like these is why alternate break looks good to people, along with 10 ball.

There should not be any 9 ball tournaments on the pro "tour".

Outside of alternate break to make things fair, maybe do a 2-3 break max before the other guy gets the break.

Really? seriously? I get sooooooo tired of hearing people speak of making things "fair" via an alternating break. All games of billiards no matter the discipline have always been played one way in that your inning isn't over until you miss, commit a foul or play a safety, period.

It's only in the last 10-15 years that events have tinkered with that via alternating breaks in certain events. A large part of pool is mental, can you keep your concentration solid enough to control the table & apply heat to your opponent when you're at the table, and if you're in your chair can you keep your composure so that when you get an opportunity you can capitalize on & put it back on your opponent & freeze him in the chair. That's pool, always was that way & always should be that way. its a dynamic of the game that should not be lost.

Mika did not maintain his composure. He had opportunities in the match, albeit few, but he had opportunities and the fact that he lost his composure contributed to his inability to capitalize on them & turn the match around. There are those that comment matches like this "aren't as interesting to the fans" as a closer match or hill-hill match are, Upstate Al even made this comment several times during the commentary. I don't agree with this perspective at all. Part of the true beauty of viewing this game we all love is watching someone when they go unconscious and perform masterfully, it's a beautiful thing to watch & I quite enjoyed watching this match. Go to YouTube and watch the 1966 14-1 Championship between Irving Crane & Joe "The Meatman" Balsis. Joe strings together a nice beginning but turned the table over and Crane went 150 & out. To some maybe this isn't interesting, more so the crowd that cries for alternating breaks and those that don't appreciate billiards for what it was. I encourage "that" group to watch it because if you watch closely much can be learned from it.
1. That watching a masterful display of skills in this sport is a beautiful thing.
2. That if you watch the packed crowd viewing this live then you will see that there was a time when this sport was revered that the audience, far more intuitive to the beauty of this sport derived great pleasure from watching a one sided match where one opponent stomped the other because of the true beauty of the masterful display of skill they witnessed.
3. Lastly, the composure and grace displayed by Joe Balsis as he sat in the electric chair watching Crane fry him. Calmly smoking cigarettes, no outbursts or whining or childish demonstrative displays as Mika gave throughout this match of discussion here. Just a professional that understood his opponent was on fire & that there was nothing he could do.

The game has changed in that 9 ball has replaced 14-1 as the discipline that Champions of this game are judged by. Some things should not have changed though even though the discipline did. Those things are that an audience should be educated enough in the sport they are watching to truly appreciate a masterful performance as Shaw put on here and lastly that failure to maintain your composure has several dire consequences and repercussions, that when you get your opportunity you are unlikely to capitalize on it as was displayed by Mika and most importantly that when behavior like this is displayed it cheapens the game which is the greatest sin. That's all I have to say about that.

Last edited:

KRJ

Support UKRAINE
Silver Member
Difference is
1) Mika is top pro not a league player. So comparing apples and chairs
2) at least 99% of pros do not behave badly like him so it is not a good defence to justify his bad behaviour :)

SO, nobody can have emotions anymore... give me a break. He was getting spanked, was not getting the roles, and he was not happy. No way was he sharking or anything like that.

God forbid someone is human that plays pool. He actions were nothing, nada, zilch.... heck, I'll bet you a beer the other guy didn't care one bit because it was so minor. I would LOVE for my opponent to throw his cue, how cool would that be that I'm playing that good :)

Bob Farr

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Does anyone know if the other semi between Mora and Mika will be put out there to watch? I understand there was some color in that one also.

Cardigan Kid

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Really? seriously? I get sooooooo tired of hearing people speak of making things "fair" via an alternating break. All games of billiards no matter the discipline have always been played one way in that your inning isn't over until you miss, commit a foul or play a safety, period.

It's only in the last 10-15 years that events have tinkered with that via alternating breaks in certain events. A large part of pool is mental, can you keep your concentration solid enough to control the table & apply heat to your opponent when you're at the table, and if you're in your chair can you keep your composure so that when you get an opportunity you can capitalize on & put it back on your opponent & freeze him in the chair. That's pool, always was that way & always should be that way. its a dynamic of the game that should not be lost.

Mika did not maintain his composure. He had opportunities in the match, albeit few, but he had opportunities and the fact that he lost his composure contributed to his inability to capitalize on them & turn the match around. There are those that comment matches like this "aren't as interesting to the fans" as a closer match or hill-hill match are, Upstate Al even made this comment several times during the commentary. I don't agree with this perspective at all. Part of the true beauty of viewing this game we all love is watching someone when they go unconscious and perform masterfully, it's a beautiful thing to watch & I quite enjoyed watching this match. Go to YouTube and watch the 1966 14-1 Championship between Irving Crane & Joe "The Meatman" Balsis. Joe strings together a nice beginning but turned the table over and Crane went 150 & out. To some maybe this isn't interesting, more so the crowd that cries for alternating breaks and those that don't appreciate billiards for what it was. I encourage "that" group to watch it because if you watch closely much can be learned from it.
1. That watching a masterful display of skills in this sport is a beautiful thing.
2. That if you watch the packed crowd viewing this live then you will see that there was a time when this sport was revered that the audience, far more intuitive to the beauty of this sport derived great pleasure from watching a one sided match where one opponent stomped the other because of the true beauty of the masterful display of skill they witnessed.
3. Lastly, the composure and grace displayed by Joe Balsis as he sat in the electric chair watching Crane fry him. Calmly smoking cigarettes, no outbursts or whining or childish demonstrative displays as Mika gave throughout this match of discussion here. Just a professional that understood his opponent was on fire & that there was nothing he could do.

The game has changed in that 9 ball has replaced 14-1 as the discipline that Champions of this game are judged by. Some things should not have changed though even though the discipline did. Those things are that an audience should be educated enough in the sport they are watching to truly appreciate a masterful performance as Shaw put on here and lastly that failure to maintain your composure has several dire consequences and repercussions, that when you get your opportunity you are unlikely to capitalize on it as was displayed by Mika and most importantly that when behavior like this is displayed it cheapens the game which is the greatest sin. That's all I have to say about that.

This really couldnt have been stated any better. It's the truth.
the art in the game is in the run out.
I watched this match in person, and in that 23 minutes, jayson was an artist.

sugeknight

I'm on a ROLL
Silver Member
It's unfortunate to see someone who calls himself a professional display such poor sportsmanship. Hopefully he works on that.