Max Eberle's "Powerful Pool"

Clark_the_Shark

Has 9-Ball-itis
Silver Member
4 hrs and 40 minutes of hammering on the fundamentals of pool. Very thorough detailed explanations from the eyes of a professional. Excellent for beginning to intermediate players and full of good tips to get a better player to reevaluate their fundamentals if they find that they have hit a plateau. Very good instruction throughout and very nice guy.

The contents are as follows:
Super Solid Stance
Super Solid Bridge
Super Stroke
Eagle Eye Aim
Sudden Stop
Devilish Draw
Fantastic Follow
& Putting it all Together

TheBook

Ret Professional Goof Off
Silver Member
Just got done watching the 3 DVD's. Max covers a lot of material. He gives many options plus advice from his personal experience. He does not try to push one style or way of doing anything like some of the cookie cutter instructors do.

Worth the money but it does not cover everything. Makes a nice compliment to MIka's and Little Joes.

woody_968

BRING BACK 14.1
Silver Member
Thanks for the review, Im wanting to order Max's videos in the future to see if he is teaching anything different than the "standard" school of thought.

Without going into great detail, what did you think about his opinion on dropping the elbow? I have long subscribed to the no elbow drop way of thinking, but am always open to learn new things if they are effective.

Woody

Clark_the_Shark

Has 9-Ball-itis
Silver Member
I used to drop my elbow slightly and did so for the reasons he teaches in his DVDs. I was instructed NOT to by Scott Lee and my feelings were up in the air about it. I personally prefer to drop my elbow and agree with Max on his reasons.

TheBook

Ret Professional Goof Off
Silver Member
Thanks for the review, Im wanting to order Max's videos in the future to see if he is teaching anything different than the "standard" school of thought.

Without going into great detail, what did you think about his opinion on dropping the elbow? I have long subscribed to the no elbow drop way of thinking, but am always open to learn new things if they are effective.

Woody

Watching most pros play where you can see the player shooting instead of ESPN where they only show the object ball dropping you will see a elbow drop on many shots. I think there is a confusion between elbow drop and shoulder drop.

Max gives a lot of options instead of just one stroke, bridge, grip and etc as some of those instructors that preach one form fits all. As Max shows there are different circumstances that required a different technique.

Take a follow shot. You can obtain CB follow on a center ball hit, above center or even a with a hit below center depending on the distance and speed of stroke. There is no one way and one way only to obtain it. Just depends on the way you prefer.

Wolven

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
When comes to fundamentals this is by far the best DVD I have ever seen and I have seen lots.
There is an amazing amount of info on stance, stroke, bridges, etc. Strongly recommended for anyone trying to improve their game.
Great job by Max.

3RAILKICK

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I bot it at the right time. I liked it a lot. It helped me a lot. I lost hill-hill with Max in a short tournament race after watching it. I thanked him for the dvds.

I hadn't played for 6 months. Near the end of that 6 months, I watched the dvds. I wanted to start building the house again. I needed to review/learn rock solid foundations. I've seen Max play in several tournaments. I like his game-and his attitude.

I recommend Max's dvds.

Take care

brophog

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
For what it is, and the video set is very specific in its intent, the 3 DVD set is spot on. It manages that careful balance of giving a methodology while being flexible; correcting flaws while maintaining a method to get the desired results. The videos not only show why things must be done within the framework, but how to set up a framework to accomplish the specific tasks needed to establish a solid foundation and common problems and their solutions.

The first disc on stance alone is worth the purchase price. The 3 disc set isn't cheap, but a lot of that is simply because it is 3 discs. If the price were divided amongst each disc, then it would seem in line with other offerings, and cheaper than many. That said, the length is both generous and the information abundant. This isn't a pool DVD where a player shoots a bunch of shots and just happens to sprinkle in a few tidbits. The videos are concise and focused.

I have a few qualms. The production quality isn't the highest you'll see. It's not bad, but fairly average for today's video offerings. The camera is static and often times the angles aren't exactly what I'd like to see, but the same idea is shown from multiple angles enough of the time that this isn't a really big issue.

I really can't recommend this product enough for the player that is looking at developing and correctly the fundamentals. As important as those are, it is a video set that every player would benefit from, however, if you are a player who is already happy with the fundamentals and looking for advanced position play, pattern play, etcetera, then this isn't the series for you. The DVD set does what it does very well.

DogsPlayingPool

"What's in your wallet?"
Silver Member
Max's stroke & ball pocketing ability are sick. That should tell you something about his fundamentals. The guy knows his stuff. :thumbup:

3RAILKICK

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Max's stroke & ball pocketing ability are sick. That should tell you something about his fundamentals. The guy knows his stuff. :thumbup:

I think I have recently seen that Max offered the dvd set for sale at a considerable discount. It was worth the original price. A real bargain at a lower price.

A great presentation of fundamentals and so, a valuable resource in revisiting those basics when a tune up is needed. ( I constantly need a lot of tune up)

Cdryden

Pool Addict
Silver Member
I am currently using this DVD set. I am a A level player but was wanting to get over that hump so i decided to take another serious look at my fundamentals. If this is what you are after then this is the DVD for you. The stance info may seem basic at first but if you follow all of his instructions and listen to why he does things a certain way you will gain allot from it.

I will edit this post when I am done with the DVD set and let you know what i think of the rest of it. But for now I only have one gripe so far..... Max, you need to fire your dry wall guy and your decorator!

justtapitin

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm anxious to go through the DVDs. I ordered the package deal including the Zen Pool book on July 27.

The book arrived, but no DVDs yet. And no contact suggesting when to expect the DVDs or an explanation for the delay.

So, a little disappointing so far. Hopefully the DVDs will be as good as everyone suggests, assuming I get them sometime.

justtapitin

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
DVDs showed up today.

Time to get over the aggravation of a two week and two day delivery and get to work!

laserbrn

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I tool lessons with Max a few years ago and subsequently quit the game. I've picked it back up and I think I'll check out his DVD's. I'm not sure if he's still around, but I'd pay for more lessons from him too!

Ratta

Hearing the balls.....
Silver Member
The DVDs from Max are worth each cent. One of the best Stuff a player could start with. Nicley presented from a nice guy (and pro :p).
I also like how Max talking to the crowd in his video- i m sure very understandable for everyone.

The Book i enjoyed, too- easy to read:)

Good work Max.

lg
Ingo

sflguy

Registered
The best

This is the best DVD on fundamentals :thumbup:, aside from instructions from qualified instructor. I learned a lot from this DVD series.

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
This is the best DVD on fundamentals :thumbup:, aside from instructions from qualified instructor. I learned a lot from this DVD series.

what is unique to max
is he says ok to pendulum swing AND ok to piston swing
in its own context
OMG

Jpool1985

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Max Eberle dvd sets worth it

I recently paid for Max dvds set powerful pool. I watched all 4 hours and half of the whole dvds and I'll tell ya what, it was well worth it cause it helped me focus on how my current stance way I was doing then starting to do what max says in the video about the stance and I notice that my legs was not crooked but wasn't the right way of standing to be in a straight line for the shot. I started looking at it and i do exactly what max say in the videos and I felt kind of off but i still made the balls and starting to see a different of how my legs and body balance into the shot. most of all doing different bridges with my hands.....i found one I like and I'm sticking with it. all thanks to Max and hope my game improve in the future. GO GET THE VIDEOS !!!!!!!!

fathomblue

Rusty Shackleford
Silver Member
I just ordered this today. He is having a special on the 3-DVD set for $27. Can't pass that up. Also ordered the Zen book as well.

I had a chance to meet Max in Tunica and he's extremely nice. After watchin some of his Pool Academy videos, he seems like the kind of guy I'd like to spend a few hours with for some personal instruction.

Hopefully this, along with my local, personal BCA instructor will cement my fundamentals a bit further.

brophog

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ridiculously good deal for the best fundamentals discs on the market. Paid full price back when it was released and thought that was a bargain.