What shot would you most like to make under intense pressure?

jeffj2h

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Lets say there is a big crowd around, and you on the last shot of a big tournament, money match, or league match. What shot would give you the most satisfaction and happiness to make?

One choice is to make a really hard shot (describe whichever you like). But a hard shot gives you a psychological "out". If you miss, "hey, it was an impossible shot but I went for it."

I'm still thinking about this, but maybe my answer is OB around the center of the table, CB near the rail and corner pocket, with a straight in shot to the opposite corner pocket. This is one of those "easy" shots that is very hard, so I know my heart rate would be sky high. And hence the pleasure of pocketing it...

Jimbojim

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Great question, I'm going to have to think about this for a second but I'm eager to read other people's responses.

Shannon.spronk

Anybody read this?
Silver Member
Mine would be with cue ball frozen to the middle of the head rail and money ball two diamonds from the pocket frozen to the side rail. That is a shot that I missed once upon a time for the money. I have always wanted that shot back. Only time when my team put the pressure on me and I let them down. Every other time I have came through.

j13smiley

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Reverse bank (my personal favorite) or a long cross-corner bank (prettiest shot in pool)

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
jeffj2h;5673721[B said:
]Lets say there is a big crowd around, and you on the last shot of a big tournament, money match, or league match. What shot would give you the most satisfaction and happiness to make?[/B]

One choice is to make a really hard shot (describe whichever you like). But a hard shot gives you a psychological "out". If you miss, "hey, it was an impossible shot but I went for it."

I'm still thinking about this, but maybe my answer is OB around the center of the table, CB near the rail and corner pocket, with a straight in shot to the opposite corner pocket. This is one of those "easy" shots that is very hard, so I know my heart rate would be sky high. And hence the pleasure of pocketing it...

a ball hanging in the pocket....I WIN....:thumbup:

Last edited:

Lesh

One Hole Thinkifier
Silver Member
Straight in off the rail with about 4 diamonds between the cue and the OB on a 9 footer. strangely, I have little problem with cuts off the rail no matter the distance.

Lesh

RioSevario

Rivers
Silver Member
Would clearly depend on the game being played. If 9-ball then I would want to make a long bank shot. If 8-ball, (Made this one before. Best called shot of my life) Corner hooked 3-rail kick bank on the 8. One Pocket, kick bank off the rail to win. Straight pool, cluster shot for the win. Sooo many possibilities in these answers.

Dunnn51

Clear the table!
Silver Member
Final shot

I'll agree with you for one of them. Rifling in a straight on shot to the corner after you come around for perfect position would be a pleaser for me.

OR

That real tight cross table bank into the side that you need to pull a little reverse English on and get the CB out of the way fast !

8 BALL :

How about a reallllly thin cut on the OB very close to the center of the table, and the CB less than a balls-width from the end rail and at least 1 diamond away from the long rail. (and not scratching)

All on a 9 footer of course. :grin-square:

336Robin

Multiverse Operative
Silver Member
The easiest shot possible!

The easiest shot possible!

Lets say there is a big crowd around, and you on the last shot of a big tournament, money match, or league match. What shot would give you the most satisfaction and happiness to make?

ceebee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
9 Ball on the Break, in a hill-hill game....

Running one down the rail, past the side pocket, is always a feat, too.

Tramp Steamer

One Pocket enthusiast.
Silver Member
For me it would be the double spot shot to win a big game of One Pocket.

A hush comes over the darkened pool room as Tramp Steamer slowly walks to the table.
His opponent, Joe Bill Priff, a well known One Pocket player from Calumet City, Illinois, has scratched on a made shot and must now spot two. The third ball on the table lies near the corner pocket along side the head rail. Steamer needs two to win. His opponent, all three.
The Trampster bends over and checks the spotted balls. He knows that it's important for them to be frozen one against the other in order for the back ball to throw. They look to be properly spotted.
Tramp sets the cue ball on the head string precisely four inches to the side of the table center line. His goal is to strike the nose ball on a line that runs directly through the second ball. The actual target.
He stands there, visualizing the shot as he chalks his cue tip. He's come a long way with his Merry Widow cue stick, custom made by an ingenious, yet extraordinarily eccentric cue maker, but tonight is the night that it will all pay off.
Gazing around the room Tramp sees his fans, as well as his detractors. Over in the corner, Wally Bushman gives him the finger. He beat Wally a couple of weeks ago in a tight race to three. Carolyn Sue Maryweather sits in the front row by the Coke Machine, whose real name is Tom Johnston. Carolyn Sue is Tramp's on again, off again, bookkeeper and traveling companion. Tom is Carolyn Sue's cousin.
He looks at the table one last time, then bends over and sets up for the shot.
Tramp knows that a bit of draw is needed to get whitey out of the way when the first ball is struck. He takes a couple of deliberate practice strokes, looking at the object ball, then back to the cue ball, then to the object ball again, then makes his stroke. Speed of the cue ball is everything. Not too soft. not too hard.
The cue ball strikes the nose ball slightly off center but on line with the target. The second ball goes to the bottom rail and comes off on a straight line racing for the head rail. As it comes off the head rail the nose ball slowly drifts in the direction of Tramps's pocket.
Coming off the head rail the second ball is now making a beeline toward his pocket and looks as though it might collide with the other ball, but it doesn't. At the last moment one ball follows the next into the pocket, and our man Tramp has won the match.
Pandemonium erupts throughout the pool hall. Once again Tramp Steamer has shown the pool world what a fine champion his truly is. And a modest one, at that.
Good night, all. :grin:

Last edited:

jeffj2h

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Think about this:

If you pocket a “very hard” shot: You and your friends will be ecstatic and talking about it for years. You can retire on that shot.

If you pocket a “looks easy” but is actually hard shot: There will be celebration but the shot will be forgotten in a few days.

If you miss a “looks easy” but is actually hard shot: You will want to crawl into a hole and your friends will talk about the miss for years.

So which is the higher pressure shot? It has to be the “looks easy” but is actually hard shot…
But which shot gives you the most pleasure to make? It’s the “very hard” shot…

PhilosopherKing

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Kick and make the ball or get safe when on two fouls. I hate the weird satisfaction some people get from a 3-foul rule win.

Chi2dxa

Lost over C&D Triangle
Silver Member
Wow that was a good read Tramp!!!! I call that shot the Sonny Springer Special from One Pocket.org

ceebee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
For me it would be the double spot shot to win a big game of One Pocket.

A hush comes over the darkened pool room as the Tramp Steamer slowly walks to the table.
His opponent, Joe Bill Priff, a well known player from Calumet City, Illinois, has scratched on a made shot and must now spot two. The third ball on the table lies near the corner pocket on the head rail. Steamer needs two to win. His opponent, all three.
The Tramster bends over and checks the spotted balls. he knows that it's important for them to be frozen against each other in order for the back ball to throw properly. They look to be properly spotted.
Tramp sets the cue ball on the head string precisely four inches to the side of the table center line. His goal is to strike the nose ball on a line that runs through the second ball. His actual target.
He stands there visualizing the shot as he chalks his cue tip. He's come a long way with his pretty Merry Widow cue stick, custom made by an ingenious, yet very eccentric cue maker. Tonight is the night it all pays off.
Gazing around the room Tramp sees his fans, as well as his detractors. Polly Ann Mayweather sits in the front row by the Coke Machine, whose real name is Tom Johnston. Polly is Tramp's on again, off again, bookkeeper and traveling companion. Tom is Polly's cousin. Tramp looks at the table one last time then bends over and sets up for the shot.
Tramp knows that a bit of draw is needed to get whitey out of the way when the first ball is struck. He takes a couple of deliberate practice strokes, looking at the object ball, then back to the cue ball, then to the object ball again, and makes his stroke. Speed of the cue ball is everything. Not too soft. not too hard.
The cue ball strikes the nose ball slightly off center but inline with the target. The second ball goes to the bottom rail and comes off on a straight line for the head rail. As the ball comes off the head rail the nose ball slowly drifts in the direction of Tramps's pocket.
Coming off the head rail the ball is making a beeline toward his pocket and looks as though it may collide with the second ball, but it doesn't. At the last moment one ball follows the other into the pocket and our man Tramp has won the match.
Pandemonium erupts throughout the pool hall. Once again Tramp Steamer has shown the pool world what a fine champion his truly is. And a modest one, at that.
Good night, all. :grin:

Been there done that... (maybe not that intense a setting). George Rood taught me the shot at Airway Billiards. I went there for lessons in 2000. "The Trapper" was something else... & he was a great guy.

cubswin

Just call me Joe...
Silver Member
One where I played shape for a short, easy shot with just a tiny bit of a angle.