Ever fall in love with an old cue again?

Shermanscs

Steve sherman
Silver Member
I have been playing with a particular cue for a number of years now. The other day, I was looking to get in a bit of practice, but I was too lazy to break out my case and pull my cue out (I have a love/hate relationship with my butterfly case). So I grabbed a cue off my rack that I used to use about 5 years ago (probably two cues ago). I was like... Damn, I had forgotten how much I like how this thing hits! I may just put my current playing cue down for a bit and play with my old cue for a while. Just felt so good to play with that somewhat forgotten cue. I am so glad I never sold it!

This ever happen to you guys?

- Steve

dnixon

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hi Steve I do it all the time think maybe that's my problem. Are you enjoying Arizona?

tenfttall

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This happens to me on a much shorter cycle. All of my current cues could be my player 'til the end of playing. I love them all. I have a hypothesis that we learn about our fundamentals through feel and results. Changing up a cue can shift that feel and results. My largest improvements and realizations about my fundamentals usually come from adjusting to a cue.

hurricane145

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
yea - I have a 35 year old Huebler I feel that way about.

That puts it in the vertical logo era I believe What model is it? I had an H-1 and and H-4. My dream cue was an H-13 and still is. I don't play enough anymore to justify the cost of a good used one. I had a friend who had an H-15 back then. They are gone now but I still have something of a Palmer styled Huebler from the early 90's.

Ken_4fun

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have had over 200 cues over the years.....the ones I kept are the ones I liked best.

Regrets, yep I have had a few. I have traded some incredible cues, for other incredible cues.

The ones I have now are "keepers". I could and do play with all of them.

Ken

Ched

"Hey ... I'm back"!
Silver Member
That puts it in the vertical logo era I believe What model is it? I had an H-1 and and H-4. My dream cue was an H-13 and still is. I don't play enough anymore to justify the cost of a good used one. I had a friend who had an H-15 back then. They are gone now but I still have something of a Palmer styled Huebler from the early 90's.

The H-13 .. and Paul put a dark wrap on it when I sent it back to be refinished in 2000. Pictured here:
http://forums.azbilliards.com/album.php?albumid=2267&pictureid=16947
2 shafts, and in pristine condition. I don't take it out often, but enjoy it when I do.

(the HI-4 beside it I picked up this year, I read the add wrong and though it was a H-14 .. lol)

Thank you for asking .. I'd love to see pics of yours as well.

cubswin

Just call me Joe...
Silver Member
I have no keepers, I use a cue for a bit and then sell it. I regret some of them, and I've purchased a few back over the years, but no matter how great a cue is I sell it at some point.

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I have an H-14 that I love, vertical logo. I have the 29 inch shaft plus two original Huebler 31 inch shafts, plus all the original Huebler JPs and Huebler case.

Awsome cue. http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=291233

mjkeil62

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There are definitely ones that I own that I go back to and really enjoy playing with. There are also a few that I have sold that if they ever were up for sale I would jump right on just to hit with them again. It's funny but two of them that I would buy back are just cheap sneaky Pete's that just had a great feel to them. Another was a Waldo cue that had the metal shaft with a screw on tip without a ferrule. I currently have another one with a metal shaft that has a ferrule on it and it just feels different.

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have no keepers, I use a cue for a bit and then sell it. I regret some of them, and I've purchased a few back over the years, but no matter how great a cue is I sell it at some point.

I think that is the habit of most players really.

Nothing wrong with it at all.

Cheaper than having a cue problem like some of us. :eek:

Mkindsv

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have had an old D series Mcdemott since about the 4th year I shot pool, originally I bought an old D-11 with a shaft that was broken in half, glued the shaft together and played with it like that for a few years. When I got out of the Army I sent it off, had a new shaft made and a full refinish done on it, that cue was beautiful. Last year I was playing in a league match, hit a ledge where drinks are placed, dropped it and the butt snapped in half, old and brittle.

Luckily a friend had just accepted an old D-15 in trade for some work he had done and sold it to me, same exact hit, I play with it almost every time I go out, I have two newer Mcdermott cues, and they are fantastic, but they are low deflection. Whenever I feel like the new ones are not doing anything I tell them to do, I break out that old D-15 and it gets me back on track..love my old McDermott no doubt about it.

deanoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I once got an ebony titleist made wrapless for me by paul mottey

when i got it i didn't play good with it,sold it,got it back in trade
and loved it

i sold it ,bought it back because i liked it so much ,only to have Dennis Glenn

ask me for it,he loaned it to a great player from the philipenes
who won several tournaments with it as people kept guessing
what kind of cue it was

eventually,the cue was returned to Dennis Glenn.

It now sits in his famous collection of cues along with pictures of the greatest player to ever pick up a cue.

There is no chance I will ever get it again,but I sure would like to