Pantograph
Old
  (#1)
daxe
custom cues & repair
daxe has a reputation beyond reputedaxe has a reputation beyond reputedaxe has a reputation beyond reputedaxe has a reputation beyond reputedaxe has a reputation beyond reputedaxe has a reputation beyond reputedaxe has a reputation beyond reputedaxe has a reputation beyond reputedaxe has a reputation beyond reputedaxe has a reputation beyond reputedaxe has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500
  Send a message via Yahoo to daxe  
Pantograph - 11-15-2010, 01:09 PM

What is the best old Pantograph to buy that a hobbie cue maker can get to cut inlays in old cues and new cues fairly cheap see a lot of them on EBAY but would like some opinons.

Old
  (#2)
cueman
AzB Silver Member

cueman has a reputation beyond reputecueman has a reputation beyond reputecueman has a reputation beyond reputecueman has a reputation beyond reputecueman has a reputation beyond reputecueman has a reputation beyond reputecueman has a reputation beyond reputecueman has a reputation beyond reputecueman has a reputation beyond reputecueman has a reputation beyond reputecueman has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 4100

11-15-2010, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daxe View Post
What is the best old Pantograph to buy that a hobbie cue maker can get to cut inlays in old cues and new cues fairly cheap see a lot of them on EBAY but would like some opinons.
The Gorton 3U machines have done inlays in a lot of pool cues through the years.
I used to use one. A lot of the smaller ones you see will be hard to modify to do pool cues with. Some of the cue specific machines like I make are a little easier to do inlays and make patterns with. But if you also want to do fine engraving the 3U will do that much better.

Old
  (#3)
Mr Hoppe
Sawdust maker
Mr Hoppe has a reputation beyond reputeMr Hoppe has a reputation beyond reputeMr Hoppe has a reputation beyond reputeMr Hoppe has a reputation beyond reputeMr Hoppe has a reputation beyond reputeMr Hoppe has a reputation beyond reputeMr Hoppe has a reputation beyond reputeMr Hoppe has a reputation beyond reputeMr Hoppe has a reputation beyond reputeMr Hoppe has a reputation beyond reputeMr Hoppe has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 25

11-16-2010, 09:00 AM

Take a look at these if you haven't already:

Mr H

"You're on the Internet you dipstick, look it up." - PDCue

JCIN: "Shane what do you think about Barack Obama?" Shane: "He can't beat me."

The above comments are my opinion, and in no way reflect the opinion or views of AZ Billiards, it's ownership, or it's management.

Old
  (#4)
rhncue
AzB Silver Member
rhncue has a reputation beyond reputerhncue has a reputation beyond reputerhncue has a reputation beyond reputerhncue has a reputation beyond reputerhncue has a reputation beyond reputerhncue has a reputation beyond reputerhncue has a reputation beyond reputerhncue has a reputation beyond reputerhncue has a reputation beyond reputerhncue has a reputation beyond reputerhncue has a reputation beyond repute

11-16-2010, 01:12 PM

I have seen both Gorton and Diekel pantomills which may have cost as much as 35,000.00 new sell for as little as 500.00 used as they are obsolete equipment in todays machine shops. They may be larger or heavier than you have room for but nothing will do as precise of work other than a good, higher dollar CNC. The founder of the Gorton once engraved the entire Lord's prayer on the head of a pin. Often at machinery auctions these are sold for scrap metal prices.

Dick

Dick Neighbors
RHN Custom Billiard Cues
Cincinnati, OH
http://www.dickiecues.com
e-mail dickiecues@gmail.com
(513) 830-4321

Old
  (#5)
macguy
AzB Silver Member
macguy has a reputation beyond reputemacguy has a reputation beyond reputemacguy has a reputation beyond reputemacguy has a reputation beyond reputemacguy has a reputation beyond reputemacguy has a reputation beyond reputemacguy has a reputation beyond reputemacguy has a reputation beyond reputemacguy has a reputation beyond reputemacguy has a reputation beyond reputemacguy has a reputation beyond repute

11-16-2010, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhncue View Post
I have seen both Gorton and Diekel pantomills which may have cost as much as 35,000.00 new sell for as little as 500.00 used as they are obsolete equipment in todays machine shops. They may be larger or heavier than you have room for but nothing will do as precise of work other than a good, higher dollar CNC. The founder of the Gorton once engraved the entire Lord's prayer on the head of a pin. Often at machinery auctions these are sold for scrap metal prices.

Dick
I have a Gorton P 1-2 I paid about $400.00 if I remember right. It came with the original paper work and cost $17,500.00. new. These things are dinosaurs to engravers and sign shops that coveted them so much before CNC. They can be found in back rooms covered with dust and they are glad to get rid of them. Some can even be converted to CNC if one chooses. I know Bludworth can do it.

Old
  (#6)
pdcue
AzB Silver Member
pdcue has a reputation beyond reputepdcue has a reputation beyond reputepdcue has a reputation beyond reputepdcue has a reputation beyond reputepdcue has a reputation beyond reputepdcue has a reputation beyond reputepdcue has a reputation beyond reputepdcue has a reputation beyond reputepdcue has a reputation beyond reputepdcue has a reputation beyond reputepdcue has a reputation beyond repute

11-17-2010, 12:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by macguy View Post
I have a Gorton P 1-2 I paid about $400.00 if I remember right. It came with the original paper work and cost $17,500.00. new. These things are dinosaurs to engravers and sign shops that coveted them so much before CNC. They can be found in back rooms covered with dust and they are glad to get rid of them. Some can even be converted to CNC if one chooses. I know Bludworth can do it.
A good tip - there are plenty of kits available for converting manual mills
to CNC. Probably could be done for a few hundred $s - or not.

Dale

Old
  (#7)
macguy
AzB Silver Member
macguy has a reputation beyond reputemacguy has a reputation beyond reputemacguy has a reputation beyond reputemacguy has a reputation beyond reputemacguy has a reputation beyond reputemacguy has a reputation beyond reputemacguy has a reputation beyond reputemacguy has a reputation beyond reputemacguy has a reputation beyond reputemacguy has a reputation beyond reputemacguy has a reputation beyond repute

11-17-2010, 07:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdcue View Post
A good tip - there are plenty of kits available for converting manual mills
to CNC. Probably could be done for a few hundred $s - or not.

Dale
I have a feeling it would not be cheap from them though.

http://www.famcomachine.com/pgraph.htm

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: