Great shot to know

Dan White

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I wonder how many 1 pocket shots are good to know for straight pool. I don't play 1 pocket (maybe in a decade I'll be old enough to play it :p) so I don't know all the shots that might translate well. Here's one that is a high percentage shot once you get familiar with it. I have found it comes up over and over and is a real life saver (run extender). To me, a fuller hit on the bank shot with lots of spin seems to give more consistency than a thin hit with no spin. I suppose either might work given enough practice. Maybe a 1P expert will chime in on that question (spin the bank or not).

The scenario is that you just made the break shot and you've got nothing to shoot at. (Please don't say you would have hit the 13 into the 10 to carom off the 1 in the side! ... this is just an illustration of a table where you have not shots). While banks are often not recommended for straight pool, I think this particular bank is such a good percentage that it is OK to go for:

Attachments

• Bank.jpg
    Bank.jpg
    23.2 KB · Views: 679

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I wonder how many 1 pocket shots are good to know for straight pool. I don't play 1 pocket (maybe in a decade I'll be old enough to play it :p) so I don't know all the shots that might translate well. Here's one that is a high percentage shot once you get familiar with it. I have found it comes up over and over and is a real life saver (run extender). To me, a fuller hit on the bank shot with lots of spin seems to give more consistency than a thin hit with no spin. I suppose either might work given enough practice. Maybe a 1P expert will chime in on that question (spin the bank or not).

The scenario is that you just made the break shot and you've got nothing to shoot at. (Please don't say you would have hit the 13 into the 10 to carom off the 1 in the side! ... this is just an illustration of a table where you have not shots). While banks are often not recommended for straight pool, I think this particular bank is such a good percentage that it is OK to go for:
I would play the bank, I think. I'm at least 50% to make it and I see no lock-up safe. As for exactly how to shoot it, I would have to see it on the table. In the diagram it looks like it could be played with just a rolling cue ball or even stun for good position.

Dan White

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I would play the bank, I think. I'm at least 50% to make it and I see no lock-up safe. As for exactly how to shoot it, I would have to see it on the table. In the diagram it looks like it could be played with just a rolling cue ball or even stun for good position.

So in 1P circles, there is no one recommended way to shoot this shot? I'm thinking rules of thumb like "a fuller hit with more spin gives a more consistent rebound" or "don't try to stun the bank because it is unpredictable if you don't actually hit a stun." Those are made up examples, of course.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
So in 1P circles, there is no one recommended way to shoot this shot? I'm thinking rules of thumb like "a fuller hit with more spin gives a more consistent rebound" or "don't try to stun the bank because it is unpredictable if you don't actually hit a stun." Those are made up examples, of course.
At one pocket you are usually shooting banks at pocket speed. On this particular kind of shot I would only use spin to control the cue ball. For that matter, because the object ball is so close to the cushion it will be sliding anyway so there is no reason to play hard to avoid follow on the object ball.

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Maybe what you need is a bank pool guy instead of a 1pocket guy.

Anywhos, generally speaking, 1pocket guys know how to make that shot with all kinds of speeds and spins to get position or safe. As an "electric chair" bank, I suppose I'd hit it at just more than pocket speed with a no english rolling CB.

Lou Figueroa

Texas Carom Club

9ball did to billiards what hiphop did to america
Silver Member
those i see and make often, short banks like that just come easy for me,no english needed

alphadog

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Maybe what you need is a bank pool guy instead of a 1pocket guy.

Anywhos, generally speaking, 1pocket guys know how to make that shot with all kinds of speeds and spins to get position or safe. As an "electric chair" bank, I suppose I'd hit it at just more than pocket speed with a no english rolling CB.

Lou Figueroa

Lou is right 1pkt guys know multiple ways to bank that ball/move whitey
If I had to drain it = high outside ,medium speed stiffens it.

Straightpool_99

I see dead balls
Silver Member
If I'm cinching the shot, I'd shoot it pretty soft with just top. If the object ball was half a diamond further up the rail, I'd use outside. In this particular case, I want to hit the ball next to the objectball, to stop the cueball. I'd have to be at the table to properly feel the angle, but I guess just sligthly above center. Then I'd shoot the 2 or 7, depending on which ball I got a good shot on. If I got low and thin on both, I'd shoot something else.

Last edited:

deanoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Bank the ball inand run out
no brainer

as bad as I play,anyone who ducks this shot gets action

it even gets safe if you miss

i would be very surprised to see a straight pool player duck this

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
in general a one pocket player woud hit it fuller and "twist " it with spin to keep the cue ball down there assuming there is another shot to his hole
and you can hit it soft ie pocket speed
stunning requires more speed
he doesnt want the cue cue ball to spin to the corner in the kitchen on his side unless there are balls there for him to continue his run
in your example it seems you coud hit it with a little draw /stun go into the 4 to keep the cue ball there and still have shots to your one pocket
jmho
i am not a champion.....:eek::eek:

Last edited: