GC4 question..??

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
When assembled should there be any gap between bottom of cushions and the bed? If so, how much is considered ok? Thanks for any help.

bradsh98

Bradshaw Billiard Service
Silver Member
cushion-height-legend.jpg

You may see close to 1/16" gap (cloth relief), though it should be only be at the leading edge of the rail.

jtompilot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I’ve seen plenty of tables where the pennies will slide under the rails.
You can’t fit a penny under my GC4.

skydawg

Registered
What is the point of a cloth relief at the front of the rail when the portion of the rail that is bolted is still sitting on the cloth?

trentfromtoledo

8onthebreaktoledo
Silver Member
What is the point of a cloth relief at the front of the rail when the portion of the rail that is bolted is still sitting on the cloth?

With out the relief the rail would be up higher than with out it. I think the cloth is 1/32". The point of the relief is to keep the cushion nose height at the right measurement. Just my $0.02 :)

Trent from Toledo

realkingcobra

Silver Member
The cloth relief is to make allowances for the thickness of the staples, which stick up more than the cloth does, that's all.

realkingcobra

Silver Member
Question: With out the relief would it change the nose height by the size of the cloth and staples?

Trent from Toledo

Yes, the cloth relief does prevent the cloth from changing the nose height, but keep in mind, rail cloth use to be tacked on, not stapled, and the tack heads stuck up more than the cloth did!

trentfromtoledo

8onthebreaktoledo
Silver Member
Yes, the cloth relief does prevent the cloth from changing the nose height, but keep in mind, rail cloth use to be tacked on, not stapled, and the tack heads stuck up more than the cloth did!

Seem quite a few tables I take apart that the last person to recover it had gone beyond the cloth relief and stapled to the bottom of the rail. I thought for sure it would raise the nose of the cushion by what ever the cloth and the staples measure to be.

Trent from Toledo

realkingcobra

Silver Member
You just told me today that they dont have them!

Trent from Toledo

So now, how much does the cloth raise the nose height if there's no cloth relief? Ever seen how much cloth will compress under a rail bolted down? Ever seen the results of the rail beig held up by the heads of the staples, they leave quite an impression deep in the bed cloth.

trentfromtoledo

8onthebreaktoledo
Silver Member
So now, how much does the cloth raise the nose height if there's no cloth relief? Ever seen how much cloth will compress under a rail bolted down? Ever seen the results of the rail beig held up by the heads of the staples, they leave quite an impression deep in the bed cloth.

So is it measurable?

realkingcobra

Silver Member
So is it measurable?

With todays cloth, barely. Yes, the cloth relief serves a purpose. It provides some sort of guidance at to where to place the staples used to hold it on the bottom of the rails. As far as the rail cloth effecting the nose height and playability of the rails, not really noticeable. It compresses, unlike staples that don't, which will effect the nose height if they're not flush.