it's rough

Texas Carom Club

9ball did to billiards what hiphop did to america
Silver Member
Having trouble getting into double digit ball runs on my home table, olhausen 9ft w/4.5 inch infamous ball spitting pockets

Even at the Pool hall, a 9ft Brunswick w 5inch pockets

What should I focus on to up my numbers , drills or patterns?

My high this yr is only 15
All time 2yrs ago when I got serious with 14.1 was 27 on my gc2

Positively Ralf

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've never been able to even break into double digits so I'm envious of you as it is. Something my league operator noticed about me and it has helped me understand the game better, is that I should always go for the easiest available shot, especially at my skill level. I've found that it actually makes me realize how much I enjoy the game whenever rI do not make things more complicated then it should be.

Maybe one day I'll be able to get a home table and practice and practice and practice.

michael4

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

my 2 cents.. Patterns.

Think ahead to where your problems are and where the CB needs to be to solve them (and how to get the CB there asap). Learn how to keep the CB "out of trouble" (my words). Learn how to brush against clusters without getting stuck and with insurance ball(s) where you need them.

I think of 14.1 like chess, if you think ahead and figure out how to play smarter, you wont have to take as many difficult shots (which lead to misses) and you wont "snooker" yourself as often....

Texas Carom Club

Silver Member
I kind of know all those things you said, lol,but I never have looked at what you said in game

I end up just shooting what I can, only really looking at what's close to where I am and how to get on a ball that's in the same area,

I'm going to implement looking for problems and try to address them as I can tmrw and see how it goes

I'm pretty good at getting shape and moving the cb around the table
I like caroms and stack reads whenever they are there

But thats just not enough to get where I want to be, obviously

Last edited:

Straightpool_99

I see dead balls
Silver Member
Having trouble getting into double digit ball runs on my home table, olhausen 9ft w/4.5 inch infamous ball spitting pockets

Even at the Pool hall, a 9ft Brunswick w 5inch pockets

My high this yr is only 15
All time 2yrs ago when I got serious with 14.1 was 27 on my gc2

Before you read the rest of my post, know this: I'd love to help you out. I made a thread about patterns and one about developing breakballs, but I don't think they are any help to you right now. I'm not trying to be mean or condescending.

I'm going to be totally honest with you: If you have trouble getting through a single rack, there is simply no way that just your patterns are at fault. You likely have some sort of fundamentals issue. I'd see a LOCAL instructor (someone you could come back to when needed) and have your fundamentals looked over.

14.1 does seem to expose flaws, because we are sometimes shooting for pinpoint position. This means that there is a lot of focus on tip position and speed, and if you are routinely steering or slopping balls in, you will break down in those situations. Also, if the balls are wide open, there is a tendency to be lacsadaisical about position.

If, for some reason you can't see an instructor (which you should, you really, really REALLY should!), this is what I'd do: Take a 15 ball rack and smash it open like 8 ball. Take a small piece of paper, 1/4 napkin size. Make a bullseye on it in the center if you like. You can use a "magic rack" for 9 ball, that's maybe more practical to place. If the shot doesn't allow you to place a napkin or magic rack, put a small piece of lint down or mark the cloth with a damp finger. Shoot every ball in with two goals in mind: Hitting exact center pocket and landing on the center spot of the napkin. It's important to try to hit center pocket, because it will force you to use accurate tip position to get where you need to go. No cheating it in with center ball or whatever english you prefer!

Don't care if it's a hanger or a 2 foot stop shot. Shoot every shot as perfectly as you can. Walk into the shot, stay down, stay still, follow through etc..This will easily show what you are up against. If you are nowhere near the napkin or you miss the shot, set it up again. Don't give up, it will take time to get comfortable with this. The key is to visualize the shot while standing up, in as much detail as possible, in my experience.

Obviously not even great players will be able to do this all the time, the point is that you're trying to do it. You are training your concentration and removing the "14.1-dog factor" that is the reason why so many people struggle with the game. There are no easy shots in pool. Doesn't mean it can't be fun or that you can't enjoy it, but it does mean you need focus and good fundamentals to do well. Even the toughest drills become fun, once you start to master them.

Good luck to you.

Last edited:

Texas Carom Club

Silver Member
thanks for the tips, and honest opinion

last yr i saw scott lee twice and mark f. once,

they started with my fundamentals but they can always use more work, as you point out

Last edited:

acousticsguru

player/instructor
Silver Member
thanks for the tips, and honest opinion

I agree wholeheartedly on seeing an instructor. Naturally, I instruct myself, but more importantly, it's time- and ultimately money-saving (not to speak of greater enjoyment, avoiding the frustration of self-perceived "failure"). I've taken instruction myself, gotten rid of a number of bad habits, and acquired a solid foundation/stroke, and it's paid off in all years since, with comparatively little practice (that's a great point, by the way, that I often make teaching: most amateurs lack the time to practice bad habits to such an extent that they play well despite them - one's stroke should feel like riding a bicycle once every few years, back in the saddle and off you go!).

Apart from this, check out my video on one of my end pattern drills:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CSWkz7eWrMI

It's not necessarily "easy" - what's more important is that balls don't come any more "spread out" in an actual game of Straight Pool, so one can concentrate on the three main aspects: 1) ball pocketing, i.e. not missing by never opting for a shot one could miss (being dead-serious here: don't ever shoot a more difficult ball in order to achieve anything whatsoever), 2) position play, without bumping into any object balls with the cue ball inadvertently (they're already all in the open as is!), 3) repetition (like it or not, that's partly what great Straight Pool is about: repeatable results).

Greetings from Switzerland, David.

„J'ai gâché vingt ans de mes plus belles années au billard. Si c'était à refaire, je recommencerais.“ – Roger Conti

Dan White

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
100% with the two guys above. Can you post a video of yourself playing? Shoot a rack or two of 9 ball and a rack of straight pool and you'll likely get some helpful feedback here.