Diamond Professional vs Pro-Am

GideonF

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sorry if this has been covered before - I tried searching but didn't come across anything recent.

Now that the Diamond Professional comes with the same style legs as the Pro-Am, is there any real difference between the Pro and the Pro-Am?

Someone from Diamond at the DCC said the only difference was drop pockets on the Pro-Am. Is this correct?

I had intended to get a Pro-Am but actually prefer drop pockets. I will need a 3 piece slate and I would like the new Dymondwood (I guess its called Dymalux or something).

Thoughts? RKC's input would be appreciated if he feels like chiming in.

Thanks in advance.

GideonF

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Are you saying they no longer make a Diamond Professional that looks like this? That would be a shame.

http://www.diamondbilliards.com/CommercialTables/Professional.aspx

I'm not sure if they don't make that one at all any more, but if you scroll down on the page you will see that they make them now with the other legs. The picture on the info sheet they gave out does not have the old style on it.

When I got the answer that the only difference was the drop pockets, that might have reflected my questioning upon seeing the picture with the new style legs (which I personally prefer).

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm not sure if they don't make that one at all any more, but if you scroll down on the page you will see that they make them now with the other legs. The picture on the info sheet they gave out does not have the old style on it.

When I got the answer that the only difference was the drop pockets, that might have reflected my questioning upon seeing the picture with the new style legs (which I personally prefer).

I think there are 2 leg styles. One that goes all the way across horizontally and is more curvy. The second is the squared off style, that is cut away in the middle, so it sort of looks like 4 distinct legs.

The wood behind the corner pockets can be ordered rounded or at a straight 45 deg angle.

You can also order the diamond logo in differnt colors, and omit it entirely.

Even if you get the table with the squarish legs, and the 45 deg corners, so it sort of looks like a Pro-Am, its still quite a bit different. The Pro-Am has the 4 legs at the very corners of the table. The Professional has the legs inset from both the short rails and the long rails in comparison.

Another major difference is the Pro-Am has a skirt type piece of wood all the way round the table, above where the legs are connected. The Professional does not have this.

Both of these differences affect the aesthetics quite a lot, and make the Professional look much less "boxy" than the Pro-AM, IMO:)

Another functional difference these two things make, is its more comfortable playing on a Professional for tall people. I bang my feet on the Pro-Am legs every time at DCC. And my body often contacts the skirt in some way. The Professional (and the similar Gold Crown), give your body more room. Many players won't notice this difference, but I notice it every year at the DCC. Its easy enough to get used to, just it comes up for me a lot.

Good luck with your decisions.

realkingcobra

Silver Member
Sorry if this has been covered before - I tried searching but didn't come across anything recent.

Now that the Diamond Professional comes with the same style legs as the Pro-Am, is there any real difference between the Pro and the Pro-Am?

Someone from Diamond at the DCC said the only difference was drop pockets on the Pro-Am. Is this correct?

I had intended to get a Pro-Am but actually prefer drop pockets. I will need a 3 piece slate and I would like the new Dymondwood (I guess its called Dymalux or something).

Thanks in advance.
Alright, fine...LOL first off, the ProAm, should you ever have a need to sell the table, has a much higher resale value compared to the Professional. Then, don't hold your breath for the Dymalux rails being available any time soon. Drop pockets can be ordered for the ProAm, as well as the Professional only comes with drop pockets, BUT i think the drop pockets would hurt the resale of the ProAm as most want it for the ball return. On a side note, i know of several of my customers that take the peanut shaped sponge for washing cars and stuff them into the ball returns in the Pro Ams and create drop pockets without altering the tables, then take them out of the two foot corner pocketswhen they're playing one pocket. The Professional does still offer both style leg pedestals, the box style and the straight leg style, either pedestals work just fine. And yes, the Professional can be ordered with the round corners, usually with wood finished rails, or the 45 degree corners, only available with the PRC available rails which are the current PRC rails, PRC stands for phenolic resin compound. Either table can be fit with a 3 piece slate or a 1 piece, but where the table is being installed in your house will influence the choice of slate. And because the ProAm can be fully disassembled, it can be installed anywhere any other table can be installed. If you have any other questions, feel freento call me pretty much anytime at 702-927-5689.

Hobo

Banned

Thanks in advance.

Here is a professional 3 piece, with 4 separate legs, drop pockets, and rounded corners that RKC mentioned. The light comes with rounded corners too. I prefer drop pockets for a home table, because, a lot of times you want to just walk around the table and reach in the pockets to toss the balls on the table instead of racking them. It's easier than having to bend down at the ball return to collect the balls every time. Also, I've never played on a proAm in a house, but have heard that although quiet for a ball return...it can still be kind of noisy, especially on a hard floor.

Attachments

• IMG_20171229_115554.jpg
    IMG_20171229_115554.jpg
    138.3 KB · Views: 2,715
Last edited:

realkingcobra

Silver Member
Here is a professional 3 piece, with 4 separate legs, drop pockets, and rounded corners that RKC mentioned. The light comes with rounded corners too. I prefer drop pockets for a home table, because, a lot of times you want to just walk around the table and reach in the pockets to toss the balls on the table instead of racking them. It's easier than having to bend down at the ball return to collect the balls every time. Also, I've never played on a proAm in a house, but have heard that although quiet for a ball return...it can still be kind of noisy, especially on hard floor.

That's the oak rails with cherry stain. Little advice for you. Pick up a can of minwax tung oil, put some on a rag and about once a week rub the finish of the rails down, let dry, then buff them with a clean rag. That'll prevent the finish of the rails from rubbing off over the years of play, from the acid in your hands that build up on the finish.

Hobo

Banned
That's the oak rails with cherry stain. Little advice for you. Pick up a can of minwax tung oil, put some on a rag and about once a week rub the finish of the rails down, let dry, then buff them with a clean rag. That'll prevent the finish of the rails from rubbing off over the years of play, from the acid in your hands that build up on the finish.

Thanks for the tip. :)

DrCue'sProtege

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I always thought the Diamond Professional was the best of the Diamond tables. Its obviously a copycat of the Gold Crown and the best table I ever played on was a Diamond Professional owned by a former WPBA player.

r/DCP

haystj

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Same advice for oak rails with black stain?

realkingcobra

Silver Member
Same advice for oak rails with black stain?

Yes, the tung oil is a finish product, it helps maintain a barrier between chalk, hand sweat, sun light and any other exposure from degrading the finish of the wood, and keeps it silky soft to the touch, and glossy new looking. You can dull down the shine a little if you want by rubbing it out with some 0000# steel wool to get more of a smooth semi-gloss look.

realkingcobra

Silver Member
I always thought the Diamond Professional was the best of the Diamond tables. Its obviously a copycat of the Gold Crown and the best table I ever played on was a Diamond Professional owned by a former WPBA player.

r/DCP

Then obviously you need to take a closer look, because the Diamond Professional and a Gold Crown are 2 completely different looking pool tables, unless you mean Diamomd copied the Gold Crown by building a pool table that used slate for the playing surface, and has 6 pockets. If Diamond copied the Gold Crown, then tell me, is there ANYTHING interchangeable between the two tables? Because that's what copied means!

buckshotshoey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Then obviously you need to take a closer look, because the Diamond Professional and a Gold Crown are 2 completely different looking pool tables, unless you mean Diamomd copied the Gold Crown by building a pool table that used slate for the playing surface, and has 6 pockets. If Diamond copied the Gold Crown, then tell me, is there ANYTHING interchangeable between the two tables? Because that's what copied means!

Some get that impression because of the pedestals. That's about all I see that looks "Gold Crown ish".

brandoncook26

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Either table can be fit with a 3 piece slate or a 1 piece, but where the table is being installed in your house will influence the choice of slate. And because the ProAm can be fully disassembled, it can be installed anywhere any other table can be installed. If you have any other questions, feel freento call me pretty much anytime at 702-927-5689.

Hey Glen, I have a question for you. I'm looking to buy a pro-am in the next couple of weeks. It will currently be going on the first floor, but there is a potential that in the future I will be putting it in the basement (not walk out).

Do you think there's a disadvantage to getting the 3 piece slate? If there isn't a difference, what is the advantages to the one piece? Basically, can you compare/contrast the two?

Thank you.

realkingcobra

Silver Member
Some get that impression because of the pedestals. That's about all I see that looks "Gold Crown ish".

Gold crowns have a teardrop curved pedestal style leg, Diamonds are basically a square box, outside edge slanted wider pedestal. Olhausen builds tables with leg pedestal as well, but no one seems to see a Gold Crown copy in them...LOL

buckshotshoey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Gold crowns have a teardrop curved pedestal style leg, Diamonds are basically a square box, outside edge slanted wider pedestal. Olhausen builds tables with leg pedestal as well, but no one seems to see a Gold Crown copy in them...LOL

I dont really see it either, although it does a little at first glance. Probably not to you, but you've probably worked on 5000 Gold Crowns.

MJB

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I got a Pro-Am with 1 piece slate last year. The nice thing is that everything is pre-assembled with rails and cloth. It went into my basement that has a walkout slider. After helping the guys with getting the table in, I can confidently say that you never ever EVER want to try to move one up or down stairs.