Incident at the pool room

briankenobi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I want to get some feedback from you all. This happened at my home pool room last night.

So a guy we all know came in who has an attitude. He likes to pick at people and shark them and boast about his game, even though he isn't the best player. Think Earl with a fraction of the game. So the pool room had just cleaned all the balls for all the tables just an hour before he got there. So this guy comes in and the guy working at the time asked him if he wanted to be put on time or use quarters. (7 ft diamonds) He replied "Don't know yet." The attendant had just locked the table since he was done practicing. Our guy proceeded to use the object balls as cue balls for a few minutes so he didn't have to pay anything. One of the guys who helped clean all the balls (6 tables worth) came up and grabbed a ball to clean it off and said "hey man, we just cleaned all of these" and dropped it in the pocket. The guy packed up his cue and left and then went to social media to complain about it and say he was disrespected.

Personally I think he was disrespecting the pool room by not paying for the pool and using the newly cleaned object balls as cue balls just so he wouldn't have to pay.

What do you all think?

measureman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've seen this type before.
Usually there's no changing him.
Have a talk and tell him what's up,maybe it will work.
Put up with it or ban him from the room.

Ratamon

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There are always two sides to a story. If that’s all that happened, I think he was wrong for not paying for the table time. In my pool room an attendant/manager would turn the lights on if someone starts banging the balls around, and this is only fair.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

briankenobi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There are always two sides to a story. If that’s all that happened, I think he was wrong for not paying for the table time. In my pool room an attendant/manager would turn the lights on if someone starts banging the balls around, and this is only fair.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That is what I was told. I left right before this happened to get food and then came back about an hour later and was told the story.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I want to get some feedback from you all. This happened at my home pool room last night.

So a guy we all know came in who has an attitude. He likes to pick at people and shark them and boast about his game, even though he isn't the best player. Think Earl with a fraction of the game. So the pool room had just cleaned all the balls for all the tables just an hour before he got there. So this guy comes in and the guy working at the time asked him if he wanted to be put on time or use quarters. (7 ft diamonds) He replied "Don't know yet." The attendant had just locked the table since he was done practicing. Our guy proceeded to use the object balls as cue balls for a few minutes so he didn't have to pay anything. One of the guys who helped clean all the balls (6 tables worth) came up and grabbed a ball to clean it off and said "hey man, we just cleaned all of these" and dropped it in the pocket. The guy packed up his cue and left and then went to social media to complain about it and say he was disrespected.

Personally I think he was disrespecting the pool room by not paying for the pool and using the newly cleaned object balls as cue balls just so he wouldn't have to pay.

What do you all think?
Me?? I'd throw his whiny *****-ass out. No need to put up with that crap.

Pete

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The room needs to ask themselves if he is a "valued customer" or not. If he pays the bills (table time) regularly then what can they do. In this day and age Pool needs every cent it can get. Not sure why the object balls on a coin op table (freshly cleaned) were just left there.

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member

What do you all think?

I learned long ago, it never helps to run customers off in the long run, usually. Me, I might of tossed em a damp/clean bar rag to have em clean up. He's just doing his thing. The rag thing....will catch em off guard, he might even laugh. Me, I might also of got em a cue ball, I used to play at the large bar table events, and would hawk tables that just had finished up, to hit some free balls that were left remaining on the play surface or inside the box area.

briankenobi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The room needs to ask themselves if he is a "valued customer" or not. If he pays the bills (table time) regularly then what can they do. In this day and age Pool needs every cent it can get. Not sure why the object balls on a coin op table (freshly cleaned) were just left there.

The attendant was practicing on that table earlier while it was open. My guess is that they forgot to put the balls down when they locked the table.

eastcoast_chris

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I get mad at Anyone who ever hits an object ball with their cue.

Sometime the people don't know any better, but often they do and are just being inconsiderate.

I would have been happy the guy left.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The attendant was practicing on that table earlier while it was open. My guess is that they forgot to put the balls down when they locked the table.

You don't want people doing that, don't furnish the opportunity for them to do that.

Was the employee who left the balls accessable not also responsible?

All that said, on the worldly scale of evils, it is of minor measure. Don't sweat the small stuff.

jtompilot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I get mad at Anyone who ever hits an object ball with their cue.

Sometime the people don't know any better, but often they do and are just being inconsiderate.

I would have been happy the guy left.

I’ve seen lots of people practice using object balls. I even do it often. Don’t be mad at me:wink:

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
You don't want people doing that, don't furnish the opportunity for them to do that.

All that said, on the worldly scale of evils, it is of minor measure. Don't sweat the small stuff.

If you were the owner and the guy had just trashed your pool hall on social media how would you handle it? Would you say anything to the customer? What would you say to your employee?

briankenobi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I agree with you and do feel that not getting the balls of the table immediately after he was are done helped this situation to happen.

Thank you for all the comments so far. I knew I would get an unbiased response from everyone.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I’ve seen lots of people practice using object balls. I even do it often. Don’t be mad at me:wink:
The game is hard enough with spotlessly clean balls. Hitting object balls and getting chalk on them just it makes it even harder. Really shouldn't do it. Pet peeve for me, i never do it.

Last edited:

JazzyJeff87

AzB Plutonium Member
Silver Member
It seems like a very cheapskate move to try to get a free couple of minutes by banging the object balls around. And I can see the attendant getting a lil upset after just cleaning the balls.

I play scratch pool sometimes and I dirty the balls up madly, but I am renting those balls at the time...paying to put wear and tear on them (and I clean them off afterwards lol).

All in all I’d say it was a softy move to go complain on the internet about the hall after that but it’s not a terrible infraction.

SBC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

What do you all think?
He fired himself
Don't react
Then make him understand he doesn't call the shots at the pool hall.

I use this technique well....we have 8 banned players and it is a pleasure without them.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
He fired himself
Don't react
Then make him understand he doesn't call the shots at the pool hall.

I use this technique well....we have 8 banned players and it is a pleasure without them.
Well said.

DelawareDogs

The Double Deuce…
Silver Member
If you were the owner and the guy had just trashed your pool hall on social media how would you handle it? Would you say anything to the customer? What would you say to your employee?

I read a negative comment one time on Facebook about a business (an auto repair shop), and the owner of the business responded to it, with his side of the story.

While I don't recommend that every time, this worked. If your biz has naturally 4-5 star ratings and you get one single 1 star with a paragraph of story as to why "this pool room is horrible"...... rest assured I'd definitely respond to it.

I'd bet no one on social media knows the full story of what exactly happened, just that he 'was disrespected'. I'd smile if the owner or manager got on and replied with something like:

"Sorry you felt disrespected, but you were hitting newly cleaned object balls around because it was free to you. Our pool tables are for our respectful pool players who'd like to pay for using our tables. Please come on back when you'd like to be put on table time. Thanks!"