Random Poop About Balls

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The phrase "It's not over until the fat lady sings" is actually a mis-quote. The correct phrase is "It's not over until the fat lady sinks" and has its origins in the game of billiards. The black eight ball was commonly referred to as the "fat lady" so no matter how bad the game was for a competitor it wasn't over until the "fat lady" sank.!!
Debbie Pollard, Yorkshire uk

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
2003:
The work, The Billiard Table, 1945, is expected to go on show at Tate Modern in the spring. It is estimated that the picture would have cost £4m-£5m on the open market.

It was acquired for the Tate in London from an unnamed private owner, in a deal between the gallery, the fund and the estate left by two brothers who were friends of the artist.

Under the deal, the fund gave the Tate a £100,000 grant; but the bulk of the £1.2m cost came from the Gustav and Elly Kahnweiler estate, and from friends of the Tate.

This arrangement, and the artificially low agreed price, are part of a chain of sentiment which dates back to Braque's years in France before and after the Second World War.

One of the two brothers, Daniel-Henry Kahnweiler, owned the Galerie Simon in Paris and supported Braque and Picasso while they were pioneering the cubist style. The owner of the painting was also a member of the artist's circle.

Attachments

• IMG_2614.JPG
    IMG_2614.JPG
    65.3 KB · Views: 509

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
An overenthusiastic attempt to “describe the familiar in new terms”, which led to the male genitals being portrayed as an anatomically confusing “billiard rack”, has won the American author Christopher Bollen the Literary Review’s annual Bad sex in fiction award.

Bollen’s The Destroyers, a literary thriller that Jay McInerney said “invokes the shades of Lawrence Durrell and Graham Greene”, beat titles by the bestselling Wilbur Smith and the award-winning Laurent Binet to the prize.

Judges said they were persuaded to give Bollen the award by a scene in which the protagonist Ian and his former girlfriend are rekindling their relationship on the island of Patmos.

“She covers her breasts with her swimsuit,” writes Bollen. “The rest of her remains so delectably exposed. The skin along her arms and shoulders are different shades of tan like water stains in a bathtub. Her face and vagina are competing for my attention, so I glance down at the billiard rack of my penis and testicles.”

The Literary Review said: “The judges felt that there are parts in the book where Bollen goes overboard in his attempts to describe the familiar in new terms, leading occasionally to confusion. In the line quoted … they were left unsure as to how many testicles the character in question has.”

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Norman Dagley obituary (1999)

He had one initial stroke of luck in being brought up in Earl Shilton, a Leicestershire village whose institute boasted one of the best tables in England and a pair of brothers, Jack and Reg Wright, who were two of the country's finest amateurs. "I learned from Reg," Dagley said. "He would thrash me night after night. He never spared me.''

Through his mentor's example, he acquired immaculate shot selection, with an instinctive feel for precision and nuance. To his scoring power he added the finest temperament, which enabled him to prevail in many a tight finish.

On national service during the Korean war, he was on an American transport plane which had to ditch in the sea. His group spent the hours until daylight in a dinghy wondering whether a friendly or enemy plane would be first over the horizon: "After that," he said, "you don't get worked up over a game of billiards.'"

Dagley did not enter the English amateur championship "until Reg said I was ready", but he won it in 1965, and 15 times in all, a record. Relishing his first taste of international competition, he won the world amateur title at the Malta Hilton in 1971. "The only way I could eat here would be to do it through a building society," he quipped in his characteristically sardonic way.

World amateur champion again in Auckland in 1975 and twice runner-up, he eventually turned professional in 1985. The new money flooding into the World Professional Billiards and Snooker Association through television contracts and sponsorship prompted the governing body to subsidise billiards to an unprecedented degree, and for Dagley this was too good a chance to miss.

Runner-up in the world professional championship at his first attempt, he won it in 1987 and 1988. In fact 1987 was his annus mirabilis, as he also won the UK and European titles, accumulating A19,000 from these three first prizes. Inevitably, he was overtaken by a new generation, but as recently as three years ago still stood seventh in the world rankings.

RiverCity

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The phrase "It's not over until the fat lady sings" is actually a mis-quote. The correct phrase is "It's not over until the fat lady sinks" and has its origins in the game of billiards. The black eight ball was commonly referred to as the "fat lady" so no matter how bad the game was for a competitor it wasn't over until the "fat lady" sank.!!
Debbie Pollard, Yorkshire uk

Nope.

https://knowyourphrase.com/aint-over-until-the-fat-lady-sings

Debbie is a lying sack of shit.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Oh- and after posting the painting item, I learned the photo I put up is one of 7 or 8 in a series of pool table paintings by Braque.

jimmyco

NRA4Life
Silver Member
I believe Yogi Berra used the phrase before Carpenter did in 1976 (when he was managing the Mets)...but I ain't doin' no damn research. :thumbup:

Maniac (still laughing at the fact that poop AND balls were used in the same sentence)

Berra, in typical yogism, said "It ain't over 'til it's over.", during the 1973 National League pennant race.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Oh- and after posting the painting item, I learned the photo I put up is one of 7 or 8 in a series of pool table paintings by Braque.
I'm bettin' that none of the tables in the series is a pool table. The one in the picture looks like it would have some hellacious rolls.

But speaking of poop, what about Tom Brady? Will he lose his mojo in warmer climes?

Bob <-- thinks the refs were incompetent

Geosnooker

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I knew it as a pool term also. Until the Black ball gets potted.

Never heard of a Yogi Berra. Funny naming your kid after a cartoon character. Then again, Belgium named their capital after a vegetable.

jimmyco

NRA4Life
Silver Member

Never heard of a Yogi Berra. Funny naming your kid after a cartoon character. Then again, Belgium named their capital after a vegetable.

Yogi was a nickname given to him by a teammate because of the way he sat with crossed legs. It preceded the cartoon bear.

Mr. Dogg

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Yogi Berra was born in 1925. Yogi Bear came to being in 1958, making his debut on The Huckleberry Hound Show.

DJ62

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Never heard of a Yogi Berra. Funny naming your kid after a cartoon character. Then again, Belgium named their capital after a vegetable.[/QUOTE]

Yogi Berra: Born in 1925

Yogi Bear: "Born" in 1958

Brussels: Founded in 979

Belgium: Declared in 1830
Recognized in 1839

Maybe it was the other way around!

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
combo ball check valve

Lot of 12 Brand New Flo Control Combo Ball,

Retails online for over $26 each or over $322 for a lot of 12.

markjames

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This one goes for about 200 million.

Attachments

• D537DA94-93CD-40C7-8C8D-87D9433A3ED4.jpg
    D537DA94-93CD-40C7-8C8D-87D9433A3ED4.jpg
    202.7 KB · Views: 174