Press Realse from Dragon Promotions: World Straight Pool Championships Secure

Blackjack

Illuminati Blacksmack
Silver Member
I received this e-mail from Dragon Promotions -

Great News!

2008 World Straight Pool Championship Secure

Manhattan,NY - Dragon Promotions proudly announces that fans and players will be pleased to know that the 2008 World 14.1 Championship will see the event grow and continue on. This is largely due to the impact of the event's newest benefactor Dr. Michael Fedak of New York City. Dr.Fedak will be joining World 14.1 patron sponsor Joel Schapiro as the event's main sponsors. Both men are residents of New York City. With the addition of Dr. Fedak's support, the World 14.1 Championship looks to have a very bright future.

"The World Straight Pool Championship is important for the sport. So many fans and players are in love with this event. That's the main reason of my involvement, I don't want any doubt about the future of this event. I am insuring its growth and future." said Dr. Michael Fedak, the World 14.1 Championships newest patron sponsor.

"This event has alot of meaning for players and fans. I enjoyed the event as a sponsor and a player, but most of all as a lover of 14.1 " said Joel Schapiro.

Next year Comet Billiards of New Jersey, who was selected as the Official Poolroom of the World 14.1 Championship, will tentatively plan to have the Official Players Meeting for the World Straight Pool Championship , as well as a Charity Event,and Exhibition 14.1 Challenge Match the night before the main event starts. Tickets for the main event will also be sold there as well as online.

"For this particular event, we rely heavily on the committment of people that love the game of straight pool, " admits Cindy Lee, CEO of Dragon Promotions, "People like Joel Schapiro and Dr. Michael Fedak are keeping this game alive. The World Straight Pool Championship could only thrive in a place like the New Jersey and New York City area because that's where the love for the game is the deepest."

The World Straight Pool Championship is slated for the summer of 2008.

For more details stay tuned to www.dragonpromotions.com

Blackjack

Illuminati Blacksmack
Silver Member
cityboy said:
I posted this on the Main Forum and haven't gotten a single reply.

9 Ball luddites !

It will get more attention over here.

Thanks to Joel Shapiro, and especially Dr. Fedak for stepping up to the plate to help this event see another year!

Hats off the the entire Dragon Promotions staff for supporting 14.1 and giving the greatest players in the world a platform to display their skills at this great game!

TheWizard

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
AWESOME :D, way to go DP.

I wanna play in the W14-1C, but I wish that it was an open event instead of being invitational, that way more players can enter and therefore more prize money added to whatever funds are being put up by the sponsors.

I would however love to see the World 14-1 Champs being played in the Amsterdam Billiard Club in NYC, such an awesome venue that I would to play in.

What do you guys think?

Willie

juggler314

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
TheWizard said:
AWESOME :D, way to go DP.

I wanna play in the W14-1C, but I wish that it was an open event instead of being invitational, that way more players can enter and therefore more prize money added to whatever funds are being put up by the sponsors.

I would however love to see the World 14-1 Champs being played in the Amsterdam Billiard Club in NYC, such an awesome venue that I would to play in.

What do you guys think?

Willie

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe there are a number of qualifiers for the 14.1WC, it's not open as in "pay a fee and your in". But if you want to limit the field to a reasonable number and have world class players you have to do it that way.

WC at ABC is unrealistic unless amsterdam is willing to fund it, the reality is that anything done inside manhattan is VASTLY more expensive than something outside manhattan. EVERYTHING - parking will cost more, hotels will cost more, food will cost more, the venue will lose more in daily revenue, etc etc. So thats' not happening anytime soon, also ABC is a smaller venue with both fewer tables, and less space between them. I live in manhattan and play at ABC all the time, but having an event this big is tough, especially in the new location.

That being said I'll throw my own 2 cents into the ring for suggestions for this years event.

1) Make sure you properly advertise it, post flyers in bars with pool tables, and other venues around the area. Talk to all the LO's of the various APA/BCA/TAP/VNEA leagues within an hour or two's drive and get them to post it to their local websites/insert flyers into league sheet packets.

2) A point was raised elsewhere about people expecting to spend money at the venue. I highly suggest Comet think about having some better food selection than they currently have. Some sort of catering might be nice rather than just the hot dog/cheeseburger/pretzel that is currently offered. They can still mark it up plenty to make a profit, but it is very unfair to have these world class players and have "bar food" only available.

Blackjack

Illuminati Blacksmack
Silver Member
TheWizard said:
Still no updates yet on the DP site, but will keep checking :)

Willie

I will try to get with Charlie sometime between now and Friday to see how and where they will be planning the qualifiers for this year.

dmgwalsh

Straight Pool Fanatic
Silver Member
Blackjack said:
I will try to get with Charlie sometime between now and Friday to see how and where they will be planning the qualifiers for this year.

Didn't they have them in March last year?

Blackjack

Illuminati Blacksmack
Silver Member
dmgwalsh said:
Didn't they have them in March last year?

I believe that they were held in March, April, and May of last year - I could be wrong. I believe that there were only a few qualifiers -

Baltimore - Los Angeles, Chicago - NYC

I am interested in competing and earning a qualifying spot this year as my invite last year caused so much controversy with those that claimed I didn't deserve it. I hope to shut those people up this year and rub their noses in it.

dmgwalsh

Straight Pool Fanatic
Silver Member
Blackjack said:
I believe that they were held in March, April, and May of last year - I could be wrong. I believe that there were only a few qualifiers -

Baltimore - Los Angeles, Chicago - NYC

I am interested in competing and earning a qualifying spot this year as my invite last year caused so much controversy with those that claimed I didn't deserve it. I hope to shut those people up this year and rub their noses in it.
I guess they were a little later:

Qualifiers will be held from June 2 - June 30 to earn playing berths for the 2007 Predator World Straight Pool Championship. Each qualifier will have 2 winners who will receive a free entry fee into the main event.

This year's event will be even more prestigious and more in demand as players are already stacking up the alternate list for an invite to the 64 player limited field in the main event. The main event will be held at the Hilton East Brunswick, NJ once again on July 9-14,2007. Tickets for the main event are available now at www.dragonpromotions.com

"This is a great opportunity for the any player to get a shot at the World Title in 14.1. We have had a tremendous amount of support from fans and players since last year, and this year's event looks even better already." said Cindy Lee, President of Dragon Promotions which is producing the event for the second year in a row.

Early Entry fees will be $95 paying 5 days prior to event. Afterwards entry fee will be $120.

Qualifiers will be held at the following location and dates:

June 2 House of Billiards- Weert, Netherlands contact Maurice at info@hobweert.nl
June 9 Danny K's - Los Angeles,CA contact Danny at (714) 771-9706
June 9-10 Bill & Billie's CuesPort - Baltimore MD $2500 added contact Peter at peterpool@comcast.net
June 23 Drexeline Billiards - Philadelphia,PA contact Bob at (610) 259-9144
June 30 ON-Q Club -Chicago IL Contact Tom at 847-567-7665
June 30 Amsterdam Billiards - New York, NY contact Greg at 212-496-8180

This was last year's qualifiers.

Good Luck to you Blackjack. If they have them at the same places, where will you go?

TheWizard

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Blackjack said:

Thank you Dave, I really appreciate it buddy, and I'm sure that many other SP players here appreciate it also :)

How many of you guys here are gonna give the qualifiers a try?

Willie

fish on

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I plan on going again .
I saw pool at it's highest competitive best.
Players from all over the world at a great venue.

I tell all what a opportunity we have to witness in person, the great players of today.
They were respectful gentlepersons who spoke with and answered my questions about pool in a way that made you glad you came to the event.
It was amazing how easy they made the game look, most all their shots became ducks!
They did not miss other then a bad roll, miscue or a rare mistake!

No knock on the pro 9 ball events but it seem to be a more seasoned group.
The players there were a cut above ,the in your face young guns, trying to scratch out a living in a tough gambling sometimes, dealmaking 9 B event!
I enjoy these shotmaking games as well!
I would never wager on any of them!

Pete

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
dmgwalsh said:
I guess they were a little later:

Qualifiers will be held from June 2 - June 30 to earn playing berths for the 2007 Predator World Straight Pool Championship. Each qualifier will have 2 winners who will receive a free entry fee into the main event.

This year's event will be even more prestigious and more in demand as players are already stacking up the alternate list for an invite to the 64 player limited field in the main event. The main event will be held at the Hilton East Brunswick, NJ once again on July 9-14,2007. Tickets for the main event are available now at www.dragonpromotions.com

"This is a great opportunity for the any player to get a shot at the World Title in 14.1. We have had a tremendous amount of support from fans and players since last year, and this year's event looks even better already." said Cindy Lee, President of Dragon Promotions which is producing the event for the second year in a row.

Early Entry fees will be $95 paying 5 days prior to event. Afterwards entry fee will be $120.

Qualifiers will be held at the following location and dates:

June 2 House of Billiards- Weert, Netherlands contact Maurice at info@hobweert.nl
June 9 Danny K's - Los Angeles,CA contact Danny at (714) 771-9706
June 9-10 Bill & Billie's CuesPort - Baltimore MD $2500 added contact Peter at peterpool@comcast.net
June 23 Drexeline Billiards - Philadelphia,PA contact Bob at (610) 259-9144
June 30 ON-Q Club -Chicago IL Contact Tom at 847-567-7665
June 30 Amsterdam Billiards - New York, NY contact Greg at 212-496-8180

This was last year's qualifiers.

Good Luck to you Blackjack. If they have them at the same places, where will you go?

I went to the link and couldn't find where to buy tickets. Any idea???

Pete

selftaut

straight pool nut
Silver Member
billiardpete said:
I went to the link and couldn't find where to buy tickets. Any idea???

Pete

Pete, that was last years info, the qualifiers and tournament details have not been worked out as of yet for this year.

Kev