Vivian Villarreal

GoVivian

Registered
Hi Folks :)

I'm new here and I posted first in the Great Lakes Classic thread but I thought I'd start a separate thread to get people's thoughts on Vivian.

I started watching pool on ESPN a few years ago and I became enamored watching Vivian play. She's so fiery and aggressive and she really plays to the crowd. I love watching her so much!

I must say Vivian also endeared me because of the heartache she's suffered due to the abduction of her daughter several years ago. How devastating that must have been for her. She seems to have channeled her grief though by doing charity events and supporting organizations for lost children and I admire her for that.

Thanks in advance!

Ed :)

macguy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
GoVivian said:
Hi Folks :)

I'm new here and I posted first in the Great Lakes Classic thread but I thought I'd start a separate thread to get people's thoughts on Vivian.

I started watching pool on ESPN a few years ago and I became enamored watching Vivian play. She's so fiery and aggressive and she really plays to the crowd. I love watching her so much!

I must say Vivian also endeared me because of the heartache she's suffered due to the abduction of her daughter several years ago. How devastating that must have been for her. She seems to have channeled her grief though by doing charity events and supporting organizations for lost children and I admire her for that.

Thanks in advance!

I don't enjoy watching her at all. She is a good players but I just don't care for the way she acts when playing.

Last edited:

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Vivian is a great entertainer. Like Jeanette, she knows how to work a room and gets the crowd involved in the action. If you're a fan attending an event, when the two of them play each other, you know you're in for some great entertainment.

Vivian has great talent and plenty of titles to go with it. She has been very good for women's pro pool over the years.

Blackjack

Illuminati Blacksmack
Silver Member
Vivian Villareal is a great lady with a smile and a heart as big as Texas. Vivian has had her ups and downs over the past few years, but has maintained that special relationship with fans and players alike. When Vivian shows up, she brings the fun with her. I'll never forget when she played CJ Wiley in Santa Rosa, that was one wild weekend of fun, and it was because of The Texas Tornado! And who else on the tour has wrestled an alligator???

0803_Vivian-2.jpg

O

onepocketchump

And Kelly LOVES her away from the table. Both Kelly and Valerie admire Viviian's game. Val was not at all bothered by Vivian's antics during their set when Val lost a squeaker 9:8. She was in the zone and Vivian played great to win.

John

deadstroke32

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
onepocketchump said:
And Kelly LOVES her away from the table. Both Kelly and Valerie admire Viviian's game. Val was not at all bothered by Vivian's antics during their set when Val lost a squeaker 9:8. She was in the zone and Vivian played great to win.

John
That's my girl she the best person u will ever meet .But she still owes me dinner about 6 yrs ago we played and she lost. ( I Shot at the cash ) .but i Do love her And her game, win or lose she is still the best in my book .And Jennfer B from NYC is also someone to look out for ..And when she wins her first big one i want to be right there ......I have to put it on the map .... Deadstroke32 ..

pharaoh68

Banned
I think I'm setting myself up here because I've given my opinion on Vivian once before on another thread so Blackjack and Gremlin, you've read this already.

In my opinion (and that is all this is: my opinion) the few times I met Vivian, she was far from friendly. Mr. T (not that one; some of you know who I mean) plays in the local room all the time and he often brings some of the girls down with him. About two months ago, he brought Vivian and Angel Paglia down to play scotch against two of the rooms better shooters; one of whom is a one pocket player. Everytime he made a one pocket shot (or even just lucked a ball in which happens in this game) she was quite rude about it saying it was bull-shit. And I don't mean whispering. She was flat-out rude to a point where someone actually said something to her. At the end of the night, either her or Angel left a cell phone on the counter and I asked one of them if it might be theirs and Vivian took it and walked off. Angel had to look back at me and thank me.

Jeanette and Vivian are more annoying than entertaining. Personality? Try Julie Kelly. Vivian and Jeanette are just not fun to watch because they are so cocky and intense. One or two of the women on the tour play in our room every time they are in town and they say the same thing. To me, that's not entertaining. Its not fun to watch and it just isn't professional.

Remember, thats just my opinion.

Blackjack

Illuminati Blacksmack
Silver Member
pharaoh68 said:
I think I'm setting myself up here because I've given my opinion on Vivian once before on another thread so Blackjack and Gremlin, you've read this already...

Okay, Pharaoh68, I've read it twice. My point is, so what? I'll tell you why. Once upon a time I was in Canada running my big mouth in a wild drunken stupor at Claude Bernatchez. Well Claude had enough of my crap and when we went out in the parking lot about it, he nailed me right between the eyes. I'm rockin' and reelin' and swingin' at 4 Claudes when -BANG- he nails me again. Fight over. 2 punches thrown. Neither of them were mine. Okay? Now it would be real easy for me to run all over the internet telling everybody what a jerk Bernatchez was that night, but what is that gonna prove? Nothing. Matter of fact, its a pretty funny story. The same thing goes with your Vivian story. I've done much worse than that to nicer people. Everybody has their bad days, good days, whatever. Vivian is no different. I say this not because you set yourself up - I say this because a few years ago some idiot went on the internet digging up crap that I had done 25 years ago. He was not as polite as you were in his descriptions and his objective was to attack my character and my reputation. I know that is not your intention with Vivian, but some might read that from your post. I don't, but some might. BTW...Claude is a great guy with terrific right hand!

P2184333.jpg

pharaoh68 said:
I think I'm setting myself up here because I've given my opinion on Vivian once before on another thread so Blackjack and Gremlin, you've read this already.

In my opinion (and that is all this is: my opinion) the few times I met Vivian, she was far from friendly. Mr. T (not that one; some of you know who I mean) plays in the local room all the time and he often brings some of the girls down with him. About two months ago, he brought Vivian and Angel Paglia down to play scotch against two of the rooms better shooters; one of whom is a one pocket player. Everytime he made a one pocket shot (or even just lucked a ball in which happens in this game) she was quite rude about it saying it was bull-shit. And I don't mean whispering. She was flat-out rude to a point where someone actually said something to her. At the end of the night, either her or Angel left a cell phone on the counter and I asked one of them if it might be theirs and Vivian took it and walked off. Angel had to look back at me and thank me.

Jeanette and Vivian are more annoying than entertaining. Personality? Try Julie Kelly. Vivian and Jeanette are just not fun to watch because they are so cocky and intense. One or two of the women on the tour play in our room every time they are in town and they say the same thing. To me, that's not entertaining. Its not fun to watch and it just isn't professional.

It is hard to be famous, isnt it? Do you judge yourself with the same standard you use to judge others?

Remeber, thas just my opinion. I dont care much as long as you vote for me and tell your friends to.

buddha162

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Blackjack said:
Once upon a time I was in Canada running my big mouth in a wild drunken stupor at Claude Bernatchez. Well Claude had enough of my crap and when we went out in the parking lot about it, he nailed me right between the eyes.

Blackjack,

With all due respect (and I mean that, for I respect you enormously), I don't think what you described is anywhere near analogous to Brian's report on Vivian. He and many others witnessed Vivian being rude to some random poolplayer, and later on being rude to Brian himself. He did nothing to provoke her, and neither did Vivian/Angel's scotch doubles opponents.

Imho, you should be judged by how well you treat people whom you don't have to be nice to. Celebrity or not, Vivian failed to exhibit her better side, and you can't expect Brian to withold his first-hand account when a thread like this one pops up.

-Roger

pharaoh68

Banned
For starters, thank you Blackjack for recognizing that I am not attacking her character. I am merely responding with my opinion. That's the truth. I am merely relaying a story of one or two first hand experiences that I've had with the woman that left me with a negative opinion. I mean, hey! Thats what this thread was all about; getting people's opinions on the matter.

Now, its also important to notice that I did mention that I was not alone in this opinion. MOst people in the room thought Vivian was being rude and abbrasive and one man even went so far as to say something to her about it.

Secondly, you also have to remember I don't know her that well and that my opinion is also (as I stated before) influenced by those who do know her well. One or two of the ladies on the tour have made comments to me in the past that Vivian (and Jeanette) are difficult to take because that cocky demeanor that they have on camera is not just on camera. They can NOT turn it on and off. Its all the time with them and so, when a bunch of amateurs stand around a room one night to watch a couple of pros, you would think it would be fun. After about half and hour, everyone in that room was hoping that these two girls got their asses beat and would just leave. (And its a shame too because Angel really was a sweetheart.)

Again, my opinion. I don't mean to offend.

pharaoh68

Banned
For starters, thank you Blackjack for recognizing that I am not attacking her character. I am merely responding with my opinion. That's the truth. I am merely relaying a story of one or two first hand experiences that I've had with the woman that left me with a negative opinion. I mean, hey! Thats what this thread was all about; getting people's opinions on the matter.

Now, its also important to notice that I did mention that I was not alone in this opinion. MOst people in the room thought Vivian was being rude and abbrasive and one man even went so far as to say something to her about it.

Secondly, you also have to remember I don't know her that well and that my opinion is also (as I stated before) influenced by those who do know her well. One or two of the ladies on the tour have made comments to me in the past that Vivian (and Jeanette) are difficult to take because that cocky demeanor that they have on camera is not just on camera. They can NOT turn it on and off. Its all the time with them and so, when a bunch of amateurs stand around a room one night to watch a couple of pros, you would think it would be fun. After about half and hour, everyone in that room was hoping that these two girls got their asses beat and would just leave. (And its a shame too because Angel really was a sweetheart.)

Again, my opinion. I don't mean to offend.

(And in reply to Turquoisecrazy: Yes. I do judge myself in the same manner as others. I am a it judgemental at times but I am equally critical of myself at all times. Ask buddha162. He knows me personally.)

GoVivian

Registered
Thanks for the feedback. Wow, there are some really strong opinions out there! :eek:

Well, I've never seen Vivian be rude or disrespectful to another player although everyone's entitled to a bad day. The times I've seen her play, which amount to about ten on ESPN, she's usually smiling and bubbly, and when she's lost, gracious in defeat. Personally, if I were a player I wouldn't be offended by Vivian's showmanship.

I recall one match in particular- a semifinal at the US Open two years ago between Vivian and Jeanette. There was alot at stake, and both players, although nervous, put on a great show. Vivian made a jump ball shot at a critical point in the match and Jeanette came up with some great saves as well. Both players were whooping it up, the crowd was laughing having a great time, and they received a standing ovation with both players hugging at the end. It was great fun to watch.

One question I meant to ask in my original post is if anyone else is under the opinion that Vivan would be more successful if she played a bit more conservatively and played a few more saves instead of going for spectacular shots? I love Vivan's aggressive style but I can't help but think she'd be winning more matches if she pulled back a bit. I'd appreciate others' thoughts on this.

Finally, does anyone know the status of Vivian's search for her daughter? Are US authorities still searching for her? I thought I remember hearing they suspected she may be in Mexico. :(

Thanks All!

Williebetmore

Member, .25% Club
Silver Member
The match last year at Peoria between Vivian and Jeanette was DEFINITELY one of the most entertaining I have ever witnessed. They were very animated, a little loud, and very funny. They were picking at each other in a very friendly and entertaining way; and were quick to recognize a good shot from the other. I am a fan of both. Different strokes for different folks (though I think the majority of fans from Peoria would agree with me).

P.S. - both are definitely a little cocky - a trait shared by many if not most great competitors.

sniper

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Every time I have watched her play I have enjoyed Vivian's match thoroughly, I wouldn't say she comes across as cocky but she's definitely not lacking any confidence. I would much rather watch Vivian or Jeanette play than Allison or Karen, heck I might as well watch a Ralph Souquet match.

APA7

STRAIGHT POOL SUPERMAN
Silver Member
Williebetmore said:
The match last year at Peoria between Vivian and Jeanette was DEFINITELY one of the most entertaining I have ever witnessed. They were very animated, a little loud, and very funny. They were picking at each other in a very friendly and entertaining way; and were quick to recognize a good shot from the other. I am a fan of both. Different strokes for different folks (though I think the majority of fans from Peoria would agree with me).

P.S. - both are definitely a little cocky - a trait shared by many if not most great competitors.

A little cocky is great but alot of people will say that Viv is also somewhat condescending and can be arrogant too. That aint too cool :(

Brian

jjinfla

Banned
Where is it written that I, or anybody else, has to be nice to everyone?

Somedays people just want to be left alone.

Jake