How would you run this?

jokrswylde

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This came up in a game recently. I ended up playing safe on the 2...and eventually ended up losing the rack. Just wondering if there is a good way to run this out that I am missing. just didn't feel comfortable with that 2 and 3 position...BTW, the cueball was dead straight on the 1 in the side...
picture.php
[/IMG]

Cory in DC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This came up in a game recently. I ended up playing safe on the 2...and eventually ended up losing the rack. Just wondering if there is a good way to run this out that I am missing. just didn't feel comfortable with that 2 and 3 position...BTW, the cueball was dead straight on the 1 in the side...
picture.php
[/IMG]

Looks like you could start with the cross-over bank on the 1. Shape on the 2 if you make and safe if you miss. Hard to say if you'd play the 1 with follow, or stun to go straight down.

measureman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Cheat the pocket to the left with high right and hope you dont get stuck behind the 3.

Maniac

2manyQ's
Silver Member
If you could have cheated the pocket to the left side on the 1-ball a stun shot may have gotten you on the 2-ball, possibly falling right in-between the 2 and the 3. If you didn't get the shape you wanted, you still could have played safe.

Just curious...did you lose the rack because of the safety attempt you played on the or was there some other factor that caused the loss?

Maniac

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
Looks like you could start with the cross-over bank on the 1. Shape on the 2 if you make and safe if you miss. Hard to say if you'd play the 1 with follow, or stun to go straight down.
That's my shot too, although I might draw the CB around the 6 off the near rail for the 2...

pj
chgo

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member

That’s the first one I saw.....with stun...aim thick with right english.

The other option is to cut the 1-ball into the corner on the far right...middle left english...
...pretty clear path to park whitey between the 2-3 off four rails.

jokrswylde

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you could have cheated the pocket to the left side on the 1-ball a stun shot may have gotten you on the 2-ball, possibly falling right in-between the 2 and the 3. If you didn't get the shape you wanted, you still could have played safe.

Just curious...did you lose the rack because of the safety attempt you played on the or was there some other factor that caused the loss?

Maniac

I set the shot up a couple times that night and tried cheating the pocket with stun, but there was only 6-8 inches between whitey ant the 1, and I couldn't get it down there. I will set it up later and try top-right and see how it works.

I lost because I played a bad safety. I tried to get the two ball down table behind some blockers while leaving whitey on the rail next to the 3. ended up hitting it a little too hard and the two came out just enough to cut in the corner (was a good shot), and as you can see, there were no other problems on the table and he ran out...

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
I'd be a little nervous about hitting the 7...

pj
chgo

The fourth rail contact should be around the middle diamond...maybe just a little short....
...if you’re running into the 7-ball, you were never getting position anyway.

I’ll try it tomorrow at the pool hall....
...hopefully, Iusedtoberich sees this

Bic D

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I used top english and came off the rail and almost snookered myself behind the 3. I made the 2, then the 3. While getting position on the 4 I bumped the 6 into the rail.

I then went easy 4 and 5. I had more of an angle on the 6 b/c of the bump but made and got position on 7 to the 8 to the 9

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
The fourth rail contact should be around the middle diamond...maybe just a little short....

I like it.

I also like making the 1-ball and banking the 2-ball back up table, using the 3-ball to kill the cueball behind the 9-ball.

Freddie <~~~ then watch the opponent’s jump shot

highkarate

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If it was really gross to get on the 2, you've got a few good safety options on the 1, like putting it down near the 2-3 and ducking behind the 5-8. Sounds like you could've topped it with a little spin and gotten there though if you were really dead straight. Sides are pretty big on most tables.

btown

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
picture.php
[/IMG]

What about just playing safe on the one ball by hitting it at the other end by the 2 & 3 and trying to put the cue-ball behind the 8ball? Easier safe then on the 2 ball. and run out is risky.. i'd prefer running out if I feel that cut/4 railer was easy enough also..

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member

I tried it - you're right, if you hit the first rail close to the 5. The 7 would only come into play if you draw wider than that (less likely at that cut angle).

pj
chgo

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That’s the first one I saw.....with stun...aim thick with right english.

The other option is to cut the 1-ball into the corner on the far right...middle left english...
...pretty clear path to park whitey between the 2-3 off four rails.

Howsabout banking the 1 and drawing cb to rail near the 6? That is really about as good as you are going to get on the 2 and you are gonna be shooting the 3 from near the spot anyway.

?

Maniac

2manyQ's
Silver Member
Howsabout banking the 1 and drawing cb to rail near the 6? That is really about as good as you are going to get on the 2 and you are gonna be shooting the 3 from near the spot anyway.

?

Whoa...I'm smelling some salmon here. In your previous post you said "Side pocket. I cant make any balls there.". Now you're talking about banking the one into the side pocket?

I'm just bustin' your balls, BB. I fully realize your suggestion was for the OP to bank the 1-ball...not for you to.

Maniac

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member

?

If I stun straight down with mucho right english and get to the rail, whitey is spinning
away from the 2-ball for pretty good position.
....and years of action tells me to avoid hooking myself, which can happen your way.
...if I don’t hook myself while not getting position....I got the first safety....
...which leaves me being a favorite to win the game.

cubswin

Just call me Joe...
Silver Member
I’d probably played safe on the one, try to get cueball under 8, 1 behind 9. Figure I leave a kick at 1 if all goes well, and a tough shot on 1, shape on 2 if I don’t hide it.