The Passing of John Ervolino

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Nomoney said:
the bottom line to johnny's passing, like all road players he passed on dead broke. just a head full of stories. and all these pros keep, the tradition alive and well. winning big money, and then drop it off to bad habits. or making bad games.......

or not having skills to fall back on when their competitive days are done

or not having medical insurance

or not having a pension plan or any retirement plan

or not having a support system because years on the road diminished family life

In short, far too often, even a road hustler that doesn't squander earnings from pool foolishly is ill-equipped to be make financial ends meet when they reach the end of the compeititve road. Sad, but true.

Only forty years ago, major league baseball players had similar problems when they retired. This problem is not specific to pool, but common to all who select professional sports as a career but fail to make earnings sufficient to cover their expenses after their retriement.

And so, while your arguments are more than reasonable, and although I feel totally certain they ARE NOT offered in poor taste, they seem ill-timed. This is probably not the time to lament the financial realities of the road player. At this moment, most of us prefer to reflect on a colorful character who brought some flavor to our sport and to many of our lives.

lewdo26

Registered User will do
Silver Member
Nomoney's comments are not only insensitive but misguided. While it can be argued back and forth whether road players lead a legitimate lifestyle, "the bottom line" to someone's passing can never be measured by financial success alone.

I can think of myriad examples of talented and brilliant personalities in music, art, and indeed politics who have died in the most strenuous circumstances. Yet, the world still cherises the names of Charlie Parker, Van Gogh, and Ghandi. Most of us will die without impacting as many lives as Johny Ervolino has. There will be no forum posts discussing our talents or accomplishments. There will be no website announcing our passing or pictures of us hanging on the wall of poolhalls where generations will love the game.

It is absurd to reduce Ervolino's life and accomplishments to a dollar figure. Especially after his passing and taking into consideration that the roadplayer is a lifestyle on borrowed time.

Salamander

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
OldHasBeen,

For the most part, I have enjoyed you're posts, I sometimes I post If I feel the urge. I've been serious about the game for over 15 years now (small by you're comparison). I have spent the last 4 years unemployed road playing a and living and breathing pool. I'ts a choice that I made to see if I could make a living at the game. I've both won and lost against the best, and have managed through tournament play and gambling to support myself. However, I am in agreement with the poster that you put down. There is no money in pool. Really. If you look at Reyes, Archer, souquet, etc...you see people who make a marginal living, and yet they are at the top of their class. It's a shame really, but people like Archer make maybe $100,000 per year in tournament winnings + some endorsement deals. All the while dealing with the stress and pressure of trying to win tournaments. I quit the corporate lifestyle of making $95k per year to try make a living at pool. I'm going back to the grind. Simply because there is a better living to be made than in pool.

Although I enjoyed Ervolino's comentary on accustates, however, it would not surprise me that he died broke. I love the game, and will continue to gamble and play in Reno, US Open, and Derby, but only for the love of the game. I would love to see people of Ervolino's talent show prosperity, but alas, it is not to be in this sport. The parity in the game will not allow great sums of money to be made.

Gambling scores of $1,000's are occasional, accompanied by losses, near misses and worthless roadtripes. Ervolino, Dilaberto, Grady, Lassiter, Buddy, Reyes, etc..., should be wealthy with the talent that they possess, but they really just scraped by. My best friend has net worth of over a million and can play a decent game of pool, he admires my talent, but I'd rather have taken that path that he took.

Now, all that said, I've enjoyed the last four years. I've put some money away in the bank, and have supported myself for a few years. But at 39 it's time to grow up and put away childish things....

Regards,

DS

MBA (Master in Billiards administration, I mean business...)

OldHasBeen said:
You say Johnny's is passing with just a head full of stories. What do you intend to pass with?
I could mention quite a few old road players who have been sucessfull in life & business, me included. I would like a chance to talk to you "Face To Face" but I know your type of scum never surfaces.
Your not worth any more of my time so just keep on being a sucker as I'm sure you have been for quite some time now. It's a bitch when you get used to loosing, ain't it?

JimS

Grandpa & his grand boys.
Silver Member
The only thing worthwhile in life is to have left the Earth a more loving place because of your existance.

cardiac kid

Super Senior Member
Silver Member
Hi Folks,

Probably a year ago, I asked if anyone could name a player that became (and still is) a millionaire PLAYING pool. It sure is a short list. Some have made and lost it. Ronnie Allen comes to mind. Others like Larry Hubbart made their money from supporting the game. In the end, being a PROFESSIONAL pool player is a personal choice. I will miss Johnny if for no other reason than having too few opportunities to have heard his road stories.

Nomoney, if you only value someones life based on their bank account at the end of their life, you will have missed the wonders along the way. It is their choice of lifestyle!

OldHasBeen

Tom Ferry
Salamander - No More For You.

Salamander - You said - There is no money in pool. Really. If you look at Reyes, Archer, souquet, etc...you see people who make a marginal living, and yet they are at the top of their class. It's a shame really, but people like Archer make maybe $100,000 per year in tournament winnings + some endorsement deals. All the while dealing with the stress and pressure of trying to win tournaments. I quit the corporate lifestyle of making $95k per year to try make a living at pool. I'm going back to the grind. Simply because there is a better living to be made than in pool.

Salamander - Just how drunk were you when you decided to quit a $95K corporate position to "Hustle Pool"? I would NEVER advocate that anyone do that or anything close. My Son plays 2 & 3 $ pool for recreation. He plays golf for much higher steaks whenever he can get the best of a bet. THAT DIDN'T HAPPEN BY MISTAKE OR LUCK.
I have previously stated that Playing Pool is a total waist of time, AS A PROFESSION and The Hustling of pool really doesn’t even exist anymore.
Most of my post concern THE PAST. THE WAY IT WAS - NOT THE WAY IT SHOULD BE OR COULD EVER BE AGAIN.
As far as my reply to "Nomoney" - I think it was in the worst of taste to vent his/her opinion upon the death of a great player. I just got real pissed as soon as I read it and replied a.s.a.p. I now don't think he/she deserves any response or recognition at all.
In closing, let me make a statement that I have made many times before -
I honestly believe that I took the money management, planning, salesmanship, fortitude, and yes, HUSTLE from my years of pool, when I started my advertising company. The success I have enjoyed sure didn't come from a formal education and I have been told by quite a few extremely successful corporate executives that I know more about running a business than many people they hire with a MBA.

Ps - A very funny thing just happened - I was spell checking this post and when the word Nomoney came up. I had to laugh when I clicked on "Ignore". How appropriate!

TY & GL

bud green

Dolley and Django
Silver Member
If I knew that when I died people all over would miss me, talk about how I was the one of the greatest of all time at something, and looked back on my life and saw that I did what I enjoyed most of the time (pool)...I would feel I had lived a good life.

Nomoney's post seems too negative to me. So what if he wasn't rich when he died? He was having a good time at the racetrack, or playing pool, or just spending time with his buddies while others were at 9-5 jobs they hate dreaming of playing pool or whatever. Would the world be a more interesting place if Johnny never played pool and sold insurance or something?

Personally I'm glad he lived the way he did. He's a true legend of the game and I like the tapes I have of him playing or doing commentary (Sigel vs. Ervolino one pocket tape is a great one.)

Most of the people I've met who denigrate the pros as being stupid for playing pool and not making more money are middle age business people who can't play good enough to beat any real player so they just talk about how it's a waste of time. Whatever...go sell some more widgets and when you're on your death bed you can look back on your great life of board meetings, time in traffic commuting to work, etc... . You better make a lot money because you're spending 1000's of hours doing something that you probably don't love.

Johnny had a full life and if he could do it over again, he probably would. Talent and character like his are rare and pool was the right way for him to express himself.

OldHasBeen

Tom Ferry
Bud - Tap, Tap, Tap

bud green said:
If I knew that when I died people all over would miss me, talk about how I was the one of the greatest of all time at something, and looked back on my life and saw that I did what I enjoyed most of the time (pool)...I would feel I had lived a good life.

Nomoney's post seems too negative to me. So what if he wasn't rich when he died? He was having a good time at the racetrack, or playing pool, or just spending time with his buddies while others were at 9-5 jobs they hate dreaming of playing pool or whatever. Would the world be a more interesting place if Johnny never played pool and sold insurance or something?

Personally I'm glad he lived the way he did. He's a true legend of the game and I like the tapes I have of him playing or doing commentary (Sigel vs. Ervolino one pocket tape is a great one.)

Most of the people I've met who denigrate the pros as being stupid for playing pool and not making more money are middle age business people who can't play good enough to beat any real player so they just talk about how it's a waste of time. Whatever...go sell some more widgets and when you're on your death bed you can look back on your great life of board meetings, time in traffic commuting to work, etc... . You better make a lot money because you're spending 1000's of hours doing something that you probably don't love.

Johnny had a full life and if he could do it over again, he probably would. Talent and character like his are rare and pool was the right way for him to express himself.

Bud - The only other thing I would add to your great statements to NoMoney is - Life is a Bitch when JEALOUSELY is your sole motivation.
On a positive note about "NOMONEY" - I think he probably picked a realistic name for himself.

TY & GL

Kerry Impson

Former player
Silver Member
bud green said:
I must politely disagree with this part of your post. The vast majority of people who work 9-to-5 jobs are fufilling a niche that needs to be filled; they are contributing to society and helping to keep the wheel turnin', so to speak. Can we be certain that these lives are any less fulfilling than the lives of more hedonistic types who pursue their dreams, sometimes (not speaking necessarily of Johnny here) to the detriment of their families AND society? Even though most people probably don't love their jobs, I think it's unfair to scorn their existence as a "great life of board meetings, time in traffic commuting to work, etc...." People who grind out a living are the backbone of society, like it or not. I do believe it's terrific that some people try to live their dreams and reach for the stars - and I'm glad we have wonderful personalities like Johnny - but we also need people who prefer the steady paycheck of a "regular job" to keep the wheels of society greased. Just IMHO.

Last edited:

DaveK

Still crazy after all these years
Silver Member
BackPocket9Ball said:
Does it really matter if you die rich or poor? As I see it, it doesn't. You can't take it with you.

No, but you can leave it behind for loved ones.

Dave, who agrees that Nomoneys post was not in good taste, and with Kerry on the fact of life that most must work (just imagine if we all pursued games instead of productive work, it's already hard enough to get a contractor on site ! )

Blackjack

Illuminati Blacksmack
Silver Member
Somehow this always happens. A thread is dedicated to the passing of a friend, and we get off track and the topic is lost and off course. Nomoney, you picked the wrong thread to voice your opinion the subject of road players, pool players, or gamblers. You are the only person that needs to wake up, Nomoney. Posting that in this thread was in poor taste when people that actually knew Johnny Ervolino are grieving the loss of a dear friend. Tom has every right to be upset at the comments that were slipped in under a cloak of anonymity. Those of us that have lived the life and paid the price for it hold a special bond. Regardless of how we felt about each other when the loot was on the line, we have a solid respect for each other for having the BB's to do any of this in the first place. For that reason, Johnny Ervolino (and everybody player like him) has my respect.

cardiac kid

Super Senior Member
Silver Member
Tap, Tap, Tap

Great post Dave. Whether we knew Johnny or not, his legacy will go on everytime someone plays an Accu-stat tape of him playing or commenting on a match. That will be his immortality! May all tables in heaven play like LVCC #9.

Nomoney

Registered
Blackjack said:
Somehow this always happens. A thread is dedicated to the passing of a friend, and we get off track and the topic is lost and off course. Nomoney, you picked the wrong thread to voice your opinion the subject of road players, pool players, or gamblers. You are the only person that needs to wake up, Nomoney. Posting that in this thread was in poor taste when people that actually knew Johnny Ervolino are grieving the loss of a dear friend. Tom has every right to be upset at the comments that were slipped in under a cloak of anonymity. Those of us that have lived the life and paid the price for it hold a special bond. Regardless of how we felt about each other when the loot was on the line, we have a solid respect for each other for having the BB's to do any of this in the first place. For that reason, Johnny Ervolino (and everybody player like him) has my respect.
so a guy dies and he should get a free ride. as far people mourning the loss. only those who johnny owed money to should, have that right. he was a low life, so he could play pool a little. blackjack get a life.

Nomoney

Registered
OldHasBeen said:
You say Johnny's is passing with just a head full of stories. What do you intend to pass with?
I could mention quite a few old road players who have been sucessfull in life & business, me included. I would like a chance to talk to you "Face To Face" but I know your type of scum never surfaces.
Your not worth any more of my time so just keep on being a sucker as I'm sure you have been for quite some time now. It's a bitch when you get used to loosing, ain't it?
come on down to Brown's in daytona beach, and you'll leave with your pockets turned inside out. you want face to face you got. johnny was a scuffer his whole life. he played on drugs, like many others. before and after him. if the truth hurts, tough pal. he was a blacklisted vegas dealer, should people be proud of a cheater also. you hide behind the name olhasbeen, who are you to talk about face to face. get real you mutt

Salamander

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
OldHasBeen...

I said I was "unemployed", meaning that I don't work for someone, not that I don't have other means beside pool to "make a living". I've had the luxury to take some time off from the 9 to 5 and have not regretted it one bit. Furthermore I don't drink (at least not much), nor do I "hustle", if that means to deceive and lie to people. I have absolutely NO respect for people of that ilk. Please don't try and presume to know me. I thought you're post to NOMONEY was overly rude and I responded with a different take on the matter. There is no need to engage in a pissing contest or other means of oneupmanship. I'll keep my opinions of you to myself, you do the same.

I agree with BlackJack, NOMONEYS post would have been better served under a different thread. With that, this is my last post concerning this matter.

As for Ervolino...he seemed like a nice guy that loved the game of pool.

DS

bruin70

don't wannabe M0DERATOR
Silver Member
BackPocket9Ball said:
Does it really matter if you die rich or poor? As I see it, it doesn't. You can't take it with you.

HELL YEAH, IT DOES! it matters up till the very moment you die. :):):)you may not take it with you, but you'll have it until the end. it's called "quality of LIFE"

Last edited:

VeakNYC

Registered
sjm said:
the three guys who I'd have most liked to pass it on to immiediately were you, Eric Palmer and Brian Flanagan, as I believe you guys to have been his three closest friends at the club. None of you were around, though.

I called Flanagan yesterday. We are both wondering if anyone is planning a memorial in NYC?

bruin70

don't wannabe M0DERATOR
Silver Member
VeakNYC said:
I called Flanagan yesterday. We are both wondering if anyone is planning a memorial in NYC?

you might want to contact eric palmer about the possibility.