Extensions

Ron F

Ron F
Silver Member
I picked up an 18" Hagar cue extension from a seller here on AZ recently and I gotta tell ya, I never thought it would be so useful! In a game to 150 I typically use it 3 or 4 times and can put the same type and amount of spin on the ball as I could without it. With a bridge this isn't the case. I find using a bridge inherently clumsy, especially when a lot of spin is required. Do yourself a favor and try using one if someone you know has one. You'll be surprised and want one for yourself.

Ron F

stevekur1

The "COMMISH"
Silver Member
Ron, can you post up some pics so we all know which one you are reffering too ?

will it scuff up the Butt Sleeve ?

Thanks
-Steve

I hate the bridge as well, since being 6' 4" i dont have to use it often enuf to get comfortable with it !

sfleinen

14.1 & One Pocket Addict
Gold Member
Silver Member
Tony Ryan cue extender

Folks:

I echo Ron's sentiments concerning the use of cue extenders. The Hagar product is certainly a good one. Personally, I use (and like) the Tony Ryan Cue Extender, shown here (available in the AZB Marketplace -- support the forums that support you!):

http://azbmarketplace.com/index.php?p=catalog&mode=search&search_in=all&search_str=Tony+Ryan
trpceb.jpg
trpce-oak.jpg
trpcec.jpg

It's well constructed (solid wood, and that NASA-designed "memory foam" in the cup to conform to the butt of your cue), and it holds SOLIDLY. In fact, when you remove it from your cue, it makes a satisfying "FOP!" sound.

And the bonus for me, is that it fits INSIDE my Sterling Wave case. (Steve K. -- you might remember at the World 14.1 when I opened my cue case so you can look at the Noel Mendoza cue, you probably saw my Tony Ryan, right there, front and center, in the case.)

Cue extenders are great. Although I also play snooker and am comfortable with the mechanical rest/bridge, it's nice to be able to stay in the same pendulum stroke stance (vs. the different grip/stance used for a mechanical rest/bridge).

Great thread!
-Sean

Winston846

Aspiring 14.1 Player
Silver Member
I'll be in line to buy one. My bridge play is outright horrid. Because of that, I've been working on shooting left handed and have more confidence shooting lefty than using a bridge. But you still need one for those reach shots. In my case it would be a wise investment.

stevekur1

The "COMMISH"
Silver Member
With both products in mind, will they marr the butt sleeve of the cue ?

thanks for the insight Sean

-Steve

sfleinen

14.1 & One Pocket Addict
Gold Member
Silver Member
With both products in mind, will they marr the butt sleeve of the cue ?

thanks for the insight Sean

-Steve

Steve:

Absolutely NOT -- the Tony Ryan has that NASA "memory foam" in the cup, and the outer perimeter (the ring around the outside of the cup) is a very soft plastic -- polyethylene (you know, that "squeeze bottle" plastic that feels "greasy" to the touch, but don't worry -- it's not greasy at all).

I can't speak for the Hagar, but because many folks are advocating it, I'm pretty sure it won't mar the finish either (otherwise, I'm SURE you'd hear about it!).

You won't go wrong with either product.
-Sean

P.S.: I shoot opposite-handed as well, but if you can't reach a shot with either hand, you have to resort to either the mechanical rest/bridge, or a cue extender. Popping a cue extender on keeps you using the same form/stance as when you're normally shooting.

14-1StraightMan

High Run 127
Silver Member
Extension Cue

I have a Extension Cue that the end of the butt unscrews and extents on a steel rod. I really like it and it plays great with a good hit & control of the cue ball. It is advertised at a break cue also. Although, I do not think it breaks well as a break cue.
I need to get a three butt cue case so that I can carry it with me all the time. (playing cue, break & extension). More money......... Hey Honey... can I get.......... LOL

stevekur1

The "COMMISH"
Silver Member
I have a Extension Cue that the end of the butt unscrews and extents on a steel rod. I really like it and it plays great with a good hit & control of the cue ball. It is advertised at a break cue also. Although, I do not think it breaks well as a break cue.
I need to get a three butt cue case so that I can carry it with me all the time. (playing cue, break & extension). More money......... Hey Honey... can I get.......... LOL

LOL....Christmas is right around the corner !!!

sfleinen

14.1 & One Pocket Addict
Gold Member
Silver Member
LOL....Christmas is right around the corner !!!

Right, but you "wouldn't know it" by all the Christmas advertising that's going on. :p

Mike, a nice 3x6 or better yet, 4x8 case is great. I have a 4x8, and the cool thing about that is that either the Hagar or the Tony Ryan will fit INSIDE, using one of the butt slots. (The 4x8 has enough width/thickness to fit the cup of the cue extender inside, which the 3x6 doesn't.) With a 3x6, you'll have to either find a way to zip it in one of the long pouches on the outside (with the cup sticking out), or else the optional external strap-on case shown in the third picture I show in my original post above.

Just some shopping / drop-the-hint-to-the-wife-or-girlfriend ideas. ;)
-Sean

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I, too, am a fan of the Hager extenders. They come in three diameters (small, standard, and large) and about seven lengths (from 12" to 24"). Here's a link:

They are adjustable to fit snugly to your cue butt. And, no, they will not damage the butt. The cue does not touch the plastic; the butt slips inside a mesh material -- the same type of mesh that Hager uses to line the shaft and butt tubes on his cue cases.

Sean, the standard-sized Hager cue extender has an outside diameter of 1.5", so it will not fit inside the butt tubes of many cue cases (nor would the large-sized extender with its 1.66" outside diameter). The small-sized extender has an outside diameter of 1.375", so it would fit inside the tubes on some cases, but the maximum cue butt diameter on that one is too small for most cues.

Guerra Cues

I build one cue at a time
Silver Member
Steve:

Absolutely NOT -- the Tony Ryan has that NASA "memory foam" in the cup, and the outer perimeter (the ring around the outside of the cup) is a very soft plastic -- polyethylene (you know, that "squeeze bottle" plastic that feels "greasy" to the touch, but don't worry -- it's not greasy at all).

I can't speak for the Hagar, but because many folks are advocating it, I'm pretty sure it won't mar the finish either (otherwise, I'm SURE you'd hear about it!).

You won't go wrong with either product.
-Sean

P.S.: I shoot opposite-handed as well, but if you can't reach a shot with either hand, you have to resort to either the mechanical rest/bridge, or a cue extender. Popping a cue extender on keeps you using the same form/stance as when you're normally shooting.

The Tony Ryan is very heavy and the plastic ring fell off several times on the one I had, very cheaply made. The Hager extension is by far the best and lightest extension being made.

Ron F

Ron F
Silver Member
Cue Extensions

Steve – as AtLarge mentioned, the inside of the Hagar extension won’t harm the surface finish of your butt. It’s made from a nylon mesh material – similar feel to nylon rope I’d say, but much softer than rope because it’s not wound nearly as tight. When inserted, the butt goes in about, oh, 4 or 5 inches. I’ve seen the Tony Ryan extensions and they look like they work just as effectively. What BENFICA had to say about his should be taken into consideration though – heavy, ring fell off a few times and looks cheaply made. I paid $35 for mine from an AZ seller, but a friend down the poolroom got one at the same time from a distributor and got it for $25 - which is a steal for how useful it is. 14-1StraightMan’s cue with the butt that extends on a steel rod sounds interesting. If I recall correctly, one of the top female pros uses one of these. There are drawbacks to it though – of course. It’s more expensive, you’ll be shooting with a different cue on the shots you need it for, and it’ll take up a spot in your case.

I’m really jealous that Sean’s fits in the pocket of his case. Mine doesn’t and I’ve been thinking about how I can store it practically, but securely. Since getting it I’ve been walking into the room carrying it in my hand – along with my 3 x 6 and my new Centennials in the hardwood case I got off Hightrucker. I kind of give the appearance that I’m moving in when I arrive. It may be an effective shark tactic, though – I never looked at it in that light before.

I believe if I drill a small hole in the plastic next to the mouth of the extension and thread a wire towel holder through the hole it could hang freely from the top of my case – similar to, well, a towel. And, if I get a strip of Velcro long enough to wrap around my case and the extension, maybe 1” x 14”, I can wrap that around the case and the extension and effectively have the extension hugging the case. Or maybe just 2 strips of Velcro and no towel holder. Looks like a little experimenting is in order. I love visiting the fabric store for those do-it-yourself, pool-related ideas. Last time it was for 2 yards of canvas material to make shooting aprons!

By the way Steve, if you see Pat Fleming let him know I won't need a shaft weight. I had one of my machinists at work fabricate one for me. You can also tell him it looks like somebody patented his idea back in 1998. The patent number is 6113501/

http://www.freepatentsonline.com/6113501.html

On our way to Ashland Billiards this morning. Catch up with you guys later.

Ron F

jalapus logan

be all. and supports it to
Silver Member
Folks:

I echo Ron's sentiments concerning the use of cue extenders. The Hagar product is certainly a good one. Personally, I use (and like) the Tony Ryan Cue Extender, shown here (available in the AZB Marketplace -- support the forums that support you!):

http://azbmarketplace.com/index.php?p=catalog&mode=search&search_in=all&search_str=Tony+Ryan
trpceb.jpg
trpce-oak.jpg
trpcec.jpg

It's well constructed (solid wood, and that NASA-designed "memory foam" in the cup to conform to the butt of your cue), and it holds SOLIDLY. In fact, when you remove it from your cue, it makes a satisfying "FOP!" sound.

And the bonus for me, is that it fits INSIDE my Sterling Wave case. (Steve K. -- you might remember at the World 14.1 when I opened my cue case so you can look at the Noel Mendoza cue, you probably saw my Tony Ryan, right there, front and center, in the case.)

Cue extenders are great. Although I also play snooker and am comfortable with the mechanical rest/bridge, it's nice to be able to stay in the same pendulum stroke stance (vs. the different grip/stance used for a mechanical rest/bridge).

Great thread!
-Sean

I have the Tony Ryan extension as well and think that it's pretty good. No worries about it scuffing up the cue at all. I would also suggest that if you are going to get one, get the longer one. I have the shorter one and kinda with I had the other one.

Now, you guys may not have seen this, but the extension is a powerful tool to use IN CONJUNCTION WITH THE MECHANICAL BRIDGE! Stan Shuffet showed me this (he first saw Johnny Archer use it this way). Using the extension and the bridge, you can stroke normally in the same fluid motion as usual on all other shots. It's pretty elementary but cool. But I'm delighted in the little things.

Cheers on this post-thanksgiving day...

sfleinen

14.1 & One Pocket Addict
Gold Member
Silver Member
Steve – as AtLarge mentioned, the inside of the Hagar extension won’t harm the surface finish of your butt. It’s made from a nylon mesh material – similar feel to nylon rope I’d say, but much softer than rope because it’s not wound nearly as tight. When inserted, the butt goes in about, oh, 4 or 5 inches. I’ve seen the Tony Ryan extensions and they look like they work just as effectively. What BENFICA had to say about his should be taken into consideration though – heavy, ring fell off a few times and looks cheaply made.

Hi folks!

First, I hope everyone had a very happy, healthy (meaning, "gobble 'til you wobble" ;) ), and safe Thanksgiving. That is, if anyone's awake yet, and not still sleeping-off the effects of tryptophan... :p

As for what BENFICA said, and seemingly "bolstered" (not really, but rather regurgitated) by Ron, there was a run of Tony Ryans that were poorly made, because they'd changed factories at that time. The first Tony Ryans were made right here in the U.S. (i.e. the one I have, which I've had for years and years). Then, they went overseas, and this first batch from that effort -- a rather large batch -- had quality problems; namely, the polyethylene ring falling off. I'd heard about this. But these issues seem to have been addressed -- a friend of mine recently bought a Tony Ryan, and I see that the ring is solidly glued-on. I guess he was "lucky" to have skipped that bad batch.

One thing I will say, is the fact that when you put an extension on a cue, you're lengthening the cue. Obviously, you want the balance point of the cue to shift accordingly and proportionately. Try this -- if you can find some very thin-walled PVC or cardboard tubing (e.g. the cardboard tube from inside a roll of paper towels), try installing that onto the butt end of your cue. (Stuff a little toilet tissue to pack the space between the surface of the butt of the cue and the inside surface of the paper towel cardboard tube, so that it stays on solidly.) Now use your "temporarily extended" cue to reach for a long shot on the table, where you're forced to grip the tube and to bridge further back than normal. You'll notice something. Besides the obvious fact that the paper towel tube is too large a diameter for a comfortable grip (which is not the point of this exercise anyway), you'll find you're having a tough time balancing the cue on your bridge. It wants to "fall forward," tip-to-cloth. You'll find that you have to grip the "butt" (the cardboard tube) a little tighter than normal, because it -- the "butt" -- wants to rise upwards in your hand (you won't be able to use a light cradle grip).

The Tony Ryan may "feel" heavy, but it's not when used in conjunction with a cue. It balances perfectly. My only gripe about the Tony Ryan? The "grip area" (the stick part underneath the "cup") is not the same diameter as the handle area or butt of the cue. So you feel somewhat like you're gripping a jump cue. At least that's the issue with my original Tony Ryan. They may've addressed this by making the "stick part" a little thicker to compensate. But their customer service is quite good, and if you call, you'll get someone directly who can answer any questions:

http://thetonyryan.com/

I paid $35 for mine from an AZ seller, but a friend down the poolroom got one at the same time from a distributor and got it for $25 - which is a steal for how useful it is. 14-1StraightMan’s cue with the butt that extends on a steel rod sounds interesting. If I recall correctly, one of the top female pros uses one of these. There are drawbacks to it though – of course. It’s more expensive, you’ll be shooting with a different cue on the shots you need it for, and it’ll take up a spot in your case.

I’m really jealous that Sean’s fits in the pocket of his case. Mine doesn’t and I’ve been thinking about how I can store it practically, but securely.

I never said that. I said it fits INSIDE my case, vs. a pocket. I've attached a pic showing this, that was taken in a friend's basement. Some may not like the fact that it would consume a slot for a cue butt, so there are two options:

1. Insert the stick end of the Tony Ryan into the long pocket on the outside of your cue case, leaving the cup sticking out, and zipper the pocket zippers to "choke" it closed, or...

2. Purchase the external holster that straps onto the outside of your cue case, which in turn hold the Tony Ryan (it's also available through the AZB MarketPlace):
trpcec.jpg

I personally prefer it INSIDE my case, as I don't want to contribute to all the stuff currently on the outside of my case (e.g. towel, CueShark). The 4x8 works nicely for this, as I'll never ever carry more than 3 cues with me at any time (that includes a friend's cue who I may be shuttling back and forth for repairs to the cue repairman I use).

Since getting it I’ve been walking into the room carrying it in my hand – along with my 3 x 6 and my new Centennials in the hardwood case I got off Hightrucker. I kind of give the appearance that I’m moving in when I arrive. It may be an effective shark tactic, though – I never looked at it in that light before.

I believe if I drill a small hole in the plastic next to the mouth of the extension and thread a wire towel holder through the hole it could hang freely from the top of my case – similar to, well, a towel. And, if I get a strip of Velcro long enough to wrap around my case and the extension, maybe 1” x 14”, I can wrap that around the case and the extension and effectively have the extension hugging the case. Or maybe just 2 strips of Velcro and no towel holder. Looks like a little experimenting is in order. I love visiting the fabric store for those do-it-yourself, pool-related ideas. Last time it was for 2 yards of canvas material to make shooting aprons!

Innovation at its best -- love it! You may not want to let it "hang free" like that though, for it's bound to get knocked around. The velcro strap to strap it to the outside of your case, like the velcro straps found in the AZB MarketPlace, is a good idea:

http://azbmarketplace.com/index.php?p=catalog&mode=search&search_in=all&search_str=velcro+case+strap
seyvs1.jpg
seyvs15.jpg

By the way Steve, if you see Pat Fleming let him know I won't need a shaft weight. I had one of my machinists at work fabricate one for me. You can also tell him it looks like somebody patented his idea back in 1998. The patent number is 6113501/

Ron F

Hit 'em good, Ron! Bring that Winston guy along with ya too, and get that century-run race in gear. :D

Hope this helps!
-Sean

Attachments

• TonyRyan-inside-SterlingWaveCase_SeanLeinen.jpg
    TonyRyan-inside-SterlingWaveCase_SeanLeinen.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 861
Last edited:

stevekur1

The "COMMISH"
Silver Member

Ron F

thanks Ron, i shared the info with Pat today on the phone and emailed him the link.
Pat looked into it, and read all the diagrams. the weight that is pictured and described in the patent is actually a weight for the butt to add more weight to a break cue !

Thanks for the heads up, pat said he is gonna have some more weights made up. He found a local machinist who can put them all together for him. he is not going to have mass quantities made. only a couple of hundred at a time, unless they really take off.

-Steve

Last edited:

Vahmurka

...and I get all da rolls
Silver Member
J.W.Hager are ceasing operations, according to their site. That's sad. I was just about to buy a cue extension from them. I made an inquiry and hope they will be able to sell me one though.
Could you give me a clue on which to look for? My cue has 1.250 inches butt diameter. Does that mean I should go for Standard Cue Extender? (I must confess the detailed specs I read on the site are a bit confusing, maybe metric system has something to do with it, I converted all the numbers but still). Also how much does length matter? I don't see big difference between 20 and 18 inches, though I tend to like 18 more for some reason.

Ron F

Ron F
Silver Member
J.W.Hager are ceasing operations, according to their site. That's sad. I was just about to buy a cue extension from them. I made an inquiry and hope they will be able to sell me one though.
Could you give me a clue on which to look for? My cue has 1.250 inches butt diameter. Does that mean I should go for Standard Cue Extender? (I must confess the detailed specs I read on the site are a bit confusing, maybe metric system has something to do with it, I converted all the numbers but still). Also how much does length matter? I don't see big difference between 20 and 18 inches, though I tend to like 18 more for some reason.

Vahmurka - thanks for the news about Hagar. That's a shame. They do put out a good product and I can't believe how much I use it while playing straight pool.

Your butt diameter of 1.25 will be fine with a standard cue extension. I have a Schon that's very close to that diameter and it works great. If you like 18" more than 20", even if it's just a mental preference, then go with 18". The number of balls that fall within that 2" difference are very very few and far between. I hope you find what you're looking for. If you visit the Wanted/For Sale section regularly I'm sure you'll eventually find it. I got mine just a few months ago on here from mr. vmax. Hit him up, he may still have some available.

Ron F

SpiderWebComm

HelpImBeingOppressed
Silver Member
Funny you mentioned this. I just picked up an extension for my Lambros. PRICELESS--- especially for the long break shots where you're reaching. UNREAL... .highly recommended.

Dave