Best pool balls ever made

bigskyblue

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Currently, there is a set of used "Raschig Dekorit Centennial Pool Balls" being offered on eBay.

I have a set of these balls that were given to me by Allen Gilbert, (7) times U.S.
3 Cushion Billiards champion. We use to work for the same company. Allen told
me that "Raschig Dekorit", a West German company hands down made the most accurate pool and billiard balls ever produced.

This eBay ad is the first time I have ever seen or heard anything about these balls, since I received the gift set from Allen Gilbert over 20 years ago.

Has anybody else ever heard of Raschig Dekorit Centennial Pool Balls ?

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Currently, there is a set of used "Raschig Dekorit Centennial Pool Balls" being offered on eBay.

I have a set of these balls that were given to me by Allen Gilbert, (7) times U.S.
3 Cushion Billiards champion. We use to work for the same company. Allen told
me that "Raschig Dekorit", a West German company hands down made the most accurate pool and billiard balls ever produced.

This eBay ad is the first time I have ever seen or heard anything about these balls, since I received the gift set from Allen Gilbert over 20 years ago.

Has anybody else ever heard of Raschig Dekorit Centennial Pool Balls ?

Raschig made pool balls for maybe 10 years. There have been some previous threads about them. They were in the US market from 1988 to about 1993. See http://forums.azbilliards.com/showpost.php?p=2321653&postcount=8

My experience with their pool balls was not favorable. It may have been due to whatever the owner cleaned them with, but they had about twice as much throw as "normal" balls. For me, that made them almost impossible to play with. You don't know until you run into a situation like that just how well tuned your game is to how much "normal" balls throw.

As to whether they were more accurate or not, that's hard to say without a lot of measurements. I suspect that no one outside of the ball-making companies has such numbers in quantity.

bigskyblue

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Raschig made pool balls for maybe 10 years. There have been some previous threads about them. They were in the US market from 1988 to about 1993. See http://forums.azbilliards.com/showpost.php?p=2321653&postcount=8

My experience with their pool balls was not favorable. It may have been due to whatever the owner cleaned them with, but they had about twice as much throw as "normal" balls. For me, that made them almost impossible to play with. You don't know until you run into a situation like that just how well tuned your game is to how much "normal" balls throw.

As to whether they were more accurate or not, that's hard to say without a lot of measurements. I suspect that no one outside of the ball-making companies has such numbers in quantity.
Bob,
Thanks for the info. How much were Dekorit Centennial and Brunswick Centennial balls selling for in the time period you mentioned?

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Bob,
Thanks for the info. How much were Dekorit Centennial and Brunswick Centennial balls selling for in the time period you mentioned?
I think they didn't advertise prices in magazines. Dufferin was the distributor, I think, so they might have it in a catalog. Or maybe Muellers. I don't have my catalogs organized but I'm pretty sure I don't have any Dufferin catalogs.

Last edited:

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I am not familiar with the word "Centennial" being used with Raschig balls.

But I bought a set of new Raschig Dekorit pool balls in 1990. The price was $150. I no longer own them. Here is what they looked like 5 years ago:

563382ed-0dde-422b-be22-2399165f57a8_zps9ba8ae79.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Last edited:

bigskyblue

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I am not familiar with the word "Centennial" being used with Raschig balls.

But I bought a set of new Raschig Dekorit pool balls in 1990. The price was $150. I no longer own them. Here is what they looked like 5 years ago:

563382ed-0dde-422b-be22-2399165f57a8_zps9ba8ae79.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
Thanks for posting the photo. My set has the same brown box. Even today, over (20) years later, the balls still look brand new.

I've been able to find out the the company made the same high quality set of balls (your set) with the "Brunswick" black "Centennial" line around the number font, thus the term "Centennial". I also found out that they differ from the Brunswick Centennials in that the line under the 6 and 9 balls is straight on the Dekorit set and curved on the Brunswicks.

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=331797

See my post linked above, and the link contained within it. It talks about the history of billiard balls. Towards the end of the article it talks about how Rashig was started, that the main chemical phenolic guy was fleeing war persecution because he was Jewish, and took refuge in a ball manufacturing company. Good reading...

Drew2525

Well dude!in European countries mostly people have liked and played it.So,I like swimming, its a great form of exercise and keeps your weight down, but going to the local swimming baths takes at least an hour out of your day longer if I don't of use of our shared family car.Mostly people have played it after taking the bath What do you say about it buddy????????????????:):)

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I must confess that I have never played with nor personally examined any Raschig pool balls so I am not qualified to comment on the play, or durability of the balls. From what I've previously heard, the quality is exceptionally high and the posts here coincide with that thinking.

I guess I'm a little more fussy when it comes to pool balls. I really can't imagine being able to distinguish any feel or difference playing with a set of Brunswick Centennial Pool balls and a set of Raschig pool balls. Sure, I'd imagine the acoustics would be different from different resin formula and maybe some other ingredients but not the way the balls rolled or behaved. A very important criterion for my selection of the best pool balls ever made is the appearance........the looks.....the colors........the design.......how the balls look under the lights on green felt..........how do the object balls appear when you view your shot selection and more importantly, assume your shooting stance and aim at the intended object ball,

The appearance of the object balls in any pool ball set is undoubtedly more important to me than one set having exceptional quality and the other has great quality. There may be some very slight difference between "exceptional" and "great" but I submit it would be indistinguishable. Now you can easily spot the difference when you are comparing two (2) pool ball sets that have "exceptional" and "average " quality but when the comparison involves comparing sets of pool balls that are "exceptional" and "great" quality, the difference between the sets will definitely be imperceptible. I submit the quality of The Brunswick Centennial Set made by Aramith is indeed very high quality pool balls. You cannot argue about the quality because it's really great.

In the area of overall appearance and design, well, that's an outright winner for the Centennial Set vesus the Raschig set. The Brunswick colors are more vibrant and richer, the object ball numbers are just flat out superior and the Centennial arrows are an exquisite feature to the design. When you get down to aim, short or long short, in between, especially on tough, thin cut shots, the Brunswick Centennial object ball design seems better suited for aim points. So hands down....in my opinion.....the Brunswick Centennial set blows away the Raschig set in the looks department.

Quality.....Raschig quality is unknown to me but I will defer to what's been posted and give it a slight edge over the Brunswick set. Again, I submit the difference in quality between these two sets would be imperceptible or very slight at best. Slight edge (assumed) Raschig.

Looks.....Nuf said.....Brunswick blows away Rashig .......Major Edge (genuine) Brunswick.

So in my book, it's not a tie.......in boxing I'd score the quality round 10-9 Raschig. In the appearance round, I score it 10-6 Brunswick.........I mean really....take a look at the Raschig balls and then the Centennial set and tell me truly.....honestly....that the Raschig set looks better????? Come on.....start a survey.....perform the man on the corner survey....get your eyes checked if you really think the Raschig set is more handsome, prettier, or more appealing.....it's just not true.

Last edited:

jaetee

rack master ;)
Silver Member
I have a full set of 16 Raschig Dekorit balls, and used to own the 9-ball set with no numbers on them and the black/yellow striped 9-ball.

I bought them in Germany when I was in the Air Force in the 80's and we'd use them in the Rec Center instead of the balls they had there. The first time I showed up with my own set of balls, some of the regular players busted my balls about it (pun intended)... But when they played with the Raschig's, all that bullshit quickly stopped. Sound, feel, etc... it was a noticeable confidence-building difference shooting with those. They were actually quite popular with the better, regular players there and it got to the point where I'd hear about it when I'd show up at the rec center without them....

I sold the 9-ball set a couple of years ago for almost $300 and am holding onto the numbered, full set for when I eventually put a table in the house.

I like them.... alot.

Last edited: