Schmidty back at it, this time in CA

stevekur1

The "COMMISH"
Silver Member
So Schmidty is back at it, giving it another shot. this time in California.

1st day in 6 innings, all runs were 100+ with the best 219 (video on youtube)

2nd day, John tied his personal best of 435 Balls (WOWZA) I think he's onto something.

He's not doing a live stream, but his wife Felicity is recording the innings and posting the best of each day on youtube.

Keep the updates coming here !!

I really have the faith that John is going to do it, show some support !!

Steve

RobMan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Fantastic! Go John! Do you know the table specs? I thought there was talk of moving to an 8 footer after his last session?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

stevekur1

The "COMMISH"
Silver Member
Fantastic! Go John! Do you know the table specs? I thought there was talk of moving to an 8 footer after his last session?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

not sure of the table specs. If I see anything i'll update it here !

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I was there for the 435. Mr. Sardo took us all out to dinner to celebrate.

The table is the same table that was used in the earlier attempts at Easy Street in Monterey: a 4.5x9 Rebco with about 5-inch pockets.

435 is John's high run at Easy Street. He had a 464 at Bull Shooters in Phoenix. (The 464 was originally thought to be a 450, but one rack was not counted during the run. Fortunately, there is video.)

Last edited:

measureman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I was there for the 435. Mr. Sardo took us all out to dinner to celebrate.

The table is the same table that was used in the earlier attempts at Easy Street in Monterey: a 4.5x9 Rebco with about 5-inch pockets.

435 is John's high run at Easy Street. He had a 464 at Bull Shooters in Phoenix. (The 464 was originally thought to be a 450, but one rack was not counted during the run. Fortunately, there is video.)

Prime to prime who do you like in a 1000 ball match continuous play?
John or Willie?

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
John or Willie?
I never got to see Willie play (except for 28 balls with one miss on an 8-foot table), so it's a little hard to say, but I think I'll go with Willie. I think Willie saw thousands of break shots by other players and tens of thousands by himself and he had the break shot transition down.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
I never got to see Willie play (except for 28 balls with one miss on an 8-foot table), so it's a little hard to say, but I think I'll go with Willie. I think Willie saw thousands of break shots by other players and tens of thousands by himself and he had the break shot transition down.

I think Babe Cranfield gets the nod here....if he took a leave of absence from work.
...he had the perfect personality for this if he made it his goal.

measureman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think Babe Cranfield gets the nod here....if he took a leave of absence from work.
...he had the perfect personality for this if he made it his goal.

Babe Cranfield was one of the great practice players.
Not that great in competition.
I think he had a little dog in him.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
John or Willie?

Not sure whether to take this post seriously or not, as John hasn't outclassed his own generation at 14.1 in competitive play.

Competitively, in this generation, John has fewer credentials than guys like Hohmann, Feijen Souquet and Ortmann at 14.1. Hohmann is, by a country mile, the best of this generation in competitive play, but I think Willie would have beaten him easily, and Sigel would have been too much for Hohmann, too.

What about right now? Even in the high run portion of the 2019 Derby City event, John ran fewer than each of Filler, Orcullo and Melling, not one of whom you'd call a serious 14.1 player. He then lost in the quarterfinals to Mika Immonen.

John is a very fine 14.1 player whose pedigree will be remembered for a long long time, but Mosconi mass produced 150 and out games in competition. To my knowledge, John hasn't done it even once, although I've not attended every single 14.1 event in which John has participated, so I could be mistaken.

John, defined by his obsession with practice runs rather than with competitive excellence, is the Babe Cranfield of this era, not the Willie Mosconi. In fact, in this generation, nobody, Hohmann included, is the Mosconi.

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
The video (in 3 parts) of John's big run on May 9 is now up on YouTube.

It turns out the run was 421 (30 full racks plus the break ball for the 31st rack) rather than 435, and the scoring error was discovered before the run was posted.

The scoring error occurred during Rack 22. After John had pocketed the second ball of the rack, a discussion ensued as to where the scoring coin should be. John had it on 21, the correct location, but moved it to 22 after the discussion. It remained one diamond ahead of where it should have been throughout the balance of the run.

Kudos to the person who checked the run and found the mistake before posting it.

So John's high run at Easy Street Billiards remains at 434 (unless he bettered that within the last few days), and his overall high is the 464 at Bull Shooters last month.

Last edited:

Mick

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yeah, watching his break when they called him at 420 I had no idea how he was going to miss. I assumed he must touch the cueball on a warmup stroke or something, commit some sort of careless foul. Made more sense that they had miscounted racks.

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Yeah, watching his break when they called him at 420 I had no idea how he was going to miss. I assumed he must touch the cueball on a warmup stroke or something, commit some sort of careless foul. Made more sense that they had miscounted racks.

At least the run didn't end on some weird turn of the cue ball this time. It was just a missed shot to a head pocket with the cue ball near the foot spot and John jacked up over another ball.

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It’s funny how there have been a few scoring errors, even with video and people watching. It’s almost to be expected at such high numbers. Which leads me to question if the older records had any miscounts.

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Here's a comparison of the percentage of balls pocketed in foot, side, and head pockets in John Schmidt's recent 421 run compared with his earlier 434 run.

Pockets -- Foot, Side, Head

Run of 434 -- 75%, 15%, 10%

Run of 421 -- 70%, 17%, 13%

Combined -- 73%, 16%, 11%

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
Here's a comparison of the percentage of balls pocketed in foot, side, and head pockets in John Schmidt's recent 421 run compared with his earlier 434 run.

Pockets -- Foot, Side, Head

Run of 434 -- 75%, 15%, 10%

Run of 421 -- 70%, 17%, 13%

Combined -- 73%, 16%, 11%

That’s about the same percentages that Jimmy Moore told me, decades ago.