Abel Calderon

Texas Carom Club

9ball did to billiards what hiphop did to america
Silver Member
Does anyone know of his whereabouts, condition?
He owned a few rooms in new York was a very good player

I talked with George Ashby today says Abel was a good friend of his and hasn't heard of him for a long while, he recalled perhaps he had moved to Florida or south America, has a couple of sons

Anyways I was just wondering about him and can't seem to find out anything

albatross

cynical squared
Silver Member
I played in all three of his rooms in Queens - in Flushing, Astoria and Rego Park. He moved to Florida about 20 years ago. In his early 80s.

Last edited:

HomeBrewer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What is the room in Boynton these days?

When I was living there in the mid-2000s it was George's Billiards and I always enjoyed playing the Chevillotte tables there.

Is it still George's?

albatross

cynical squared
Silver Member
What is the room in Boynton these days?

When I was living there in the mid-2000s it was George's Billiards and I always enjoyed playing the Chevillotte tables there.

Is it still George's?

The room in Boynton Beach is Europa at 140 No. Congress. It’s part of a strip mall. They have Europa tables manufactured by Chevillotte.

Last edited:

HomeBrewer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks. Hard to say with my busted up old memory, but it looks from Google street view like it could be the same.

maldito

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I played in all three of his rooms in Queens - in Flushing, Astoria and Rego Park. He moved to Florida about 20 years ago. In his early 80s. I believe he finished second in his group in the qualifier in Boynton Beach, which made him eligible to play in the Nationals.

After Flushing Calderon opened a club in Astoria , and after that he opened I think it was Maspeth not sure played there once or twice , he had a lot of problems , and at times the rm got flooded in some areas, and problems with heat on tables, There was a rm (downstairs) in Rego Park but it was not owned by Calderon but by the late Jimmy Cattrano jr and his father , they bought it mid 70's , original owners opened I believe approx. time when movie The Hustler started renaissance in pool. Cattrano closed in late 80's and re-opened a room in Oakdale ,Suffolk County.

maldito

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Rich; I played in this event in 89, I believe I finished 8th or 9th. I had the high run of the tournament, (16) against Martin Spoormans from Belgium.

I think Abel lives in Miami.

I was about to ask you if you were in it, btw was Eddie Robbins , Alan Gilbert, Shorty, Ashby or Mikula ( don't know if he was alive then) in it ?? - Bob

mr3cushion

Regestered User
Silver Member
I was about to ask you if you were in it, btw was Eddie Robbins , Alan Gilbert, Shorty, Ashby or Mikula ( don't know if he was alive then) in it ?? - Bob

No Ashby, no Shorty, no Robbin, Gilbert was there, never heard of Mikula!

albatross

cynical squared
Silver Member
After Flushing Calderon opened a club in Astoria , and after that he opened I think it was Maspeth not sure played there once or twice , he had a lot of problems , and at times the rm got flooded in some areas, and problems with heat on tables, There was a rm (downstairs) in Rego Park but it was not owned by Calderon but by the late Jimmy Cattrano jr and his father , they bought it mid 70's , original owners opened I believe approx. time when movie The Hustler started renaissance in pool. Cattrano closed in late 80's and re-opened a room in Oakdale ,Suffolk County.

His third room was on Woodhaven Blvd. in Rego Park. It was called Monir. Finding a parking spot was very difficult. He closed it in the mid ‘90s. Saw Abel today for the first time since I last played in Monir. He’s 82 now and he is playing in the U. S. Nationals at Carom Cafe.

maldito

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
His third room was on Woodhaven Blvd. in Rego Park. It was called Monir. Finding a parking spot was very difficult. He closed it in the mid ‘90s. Saw Abel today for the first time since I last played in Monir. He’s 82 now and he is playing in the U. S. Nationals at Carom Cafe.

Yes your right about Monir rm - did not know that the area it was in was also part of Rego Park.