Any BUMPER POOL TABLE fans, fanatics, collectors, owners?

K2Kraze

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hello my fellow AZB'ers....

I'm thinking of acquiring a classic slate bed bumper pool table and having it lovingly restored to better-than-new days (dare I attempt RKC or MG quality) and was wondering if this thread can get a few serious - or funny - inputs and ideas.

Let me first cover the WHY question before I get inundated with that one : a bumper pool table rekindles days of youth when the notion of fear grabbing that first cue and trying your hand at angles and accuracy never entered one's mind. Only smiles of what lay ahead. You know - like grandkids - and especially wives (that think this damn cue sport, game, hobby, fascination, waste of time, you know...) want nothing to do with that intimidating 8' or 9' piece of furniture - but oh, a bumper pool table?? Well that's different. We can even enjoy wine and cheese with friends over a fun game of couples bumper pool she says. Why yes, dear, that's a fabulous idea - why didn't I think of that!?

So - any ideas of a table worthy of "loving restoration" that can be passed along for generations?

K.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bigkat

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I FIRST LEARNED TO PLAY ON A BUMPER POOL TABLE!! ������ My dad had one at the house while I was coming of age!!

ROB.M

:)
Silver Member
Table

Beware, There are some stone kold bumper pool hustlers. It's no children's game.

Rob.M

I FIRST LEARNED TO PLAY ON A BUMPER POOL TABLE!! ������ My dad had one at the house while I was coming of age!!

The 1st pool table that I ever played on was a bumper pool table. It has been around 25 years since I have seen one. I was around 12 years old at the time. I remember having a lot of fun playing on it.

Harold Smith

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I will tell a cute story about bumper pool. While in the Air Force at tech school in Amarillo, Tx. we had a bumper pool table in the day room, I got pretty good, so I thought. Everyone said you need to go into town at this amusement place to play this girl. I said "a girl" so off I went with several of my buddies. Found her and she said she only plays for 1 dollar a game, now this is back in 1961 and a G.I. only made something like 70 buck a month, I said sure. We start off like you are supposed to with both shooting at the same time, my ball hangs in the pocket, hers goes in. She then proceeded to make everyone of her balls. I never got another shot. She said again, well no one could do that twice. I was wrong. I quit after the second game left to go lick my wounds.---Smitty

K2Kraze

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Like Smitty's story of being hustled by a young amusement place "regular" on a bumper pool table, my very first encounter with anything billiard ball related was indeed a cheap fold away bumper pool table in the basement gameroom of my aunt Joann whom we visited mostly on holidays as an excuse to get all of the families together - like 4th of July, Thanksgiving and so on.

What Aunt Jo had in that basement along side the bumper pool table, were a few of the older Bally bingo pinball machines she loved to play - and all of us kids loved playing them too ---- and no one paid much attention to Mr Bumper Pool as she called it. As I remember, the damn legs were still too tall for most of us 4-7 year olds - so why mess with it. Must have been an adult game we figured. So after she sees me trying to figure the game out without knowing a thing about it and undoubtedly using the short cues practically over my head, she tells uncle Kenny to "fix the damn table would ya". So he does. With a hacksaw. He sawed like 6" off each leg and like magic we had ourselves a new game! We could reach the rails proper and use the cues like they were intended. We were fighting over those damn spotted balls and the cues - and whomever could squirrel away the red spotted ball would control the table - our rule back then

And of course that drew the attention of our parents when they couldn't get bingo game access - and the good times ensued.

Guess who's place we couldn't wait to get back to now - even for holidays like May Day and Spring Break

I think that's when I took to taking care of pool balls and seeing how nice i could get them to look - using uncle Kenny's car polish I remember.

Bumper Pool. It started it all.

Now look!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Poolhall60561

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I played some great bumper pool matches. I prefer 8 ball on a 9' gold crown, but in a pinch bumper pool is fun especially when playing for a little cash.

bud green

Dolley and Django
Silver Member
Jesse Allred, the one handed pool freak who posts as Jesse James on youtube, used to do jump shots on a bumper pool table one handed while playing for 20/game in Norcal.

We were all like damn, this dude is a different kind of animal.

Fun game...I suck at it though.

John Disque

Banned
There's still some bumper-pool tables out there. I think Buffalo's in Louisiana has one and it gets more action than the pool tables.

There's also some really good bumper-pool players out there too.