One Pocket - Intentional Foul Etiquette

BC21

https://www.playpoolbetter.com
Gold Member
Silver Member
if you are so picky just ask him to touch the cue ball with his tip.
then maybe if he is stuck and ready to lose all his cash he may just quit after that game.
then you can be proud that you enforced the rules exactly even when it makes no difference.

It made no difference. I didn't dwell on it. Just told him
that was different, that usually player's at least make a
legal intentional foul, which made us both laugh. Later,
after I was home and lying awake in bed, I thought
about it and wanted to see what others thought.

Harold Smith

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That is bad sportsmanship in my opinion, but if I were gambling cheap I doubt I would even bring it up. This is at least better than the people who take a foul by squeezing the cue ball up to the jaw of the pocket thinking they are the next einstein.

That is loss of game. They changed that to loss of game several years ago.--Smitty

Harold Smith

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
forward motion = what? towards the object ball from my body? Meaning can I move my tip from right to left across the top of the ball and move the ball, ever so gently, to the left, only contacting with my tip.

No you can't do that.--Smitty

Harold Smith

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Swiping the ball is not a legal shot, as I recall from prior discussion on the webs greatest resource for pool.

There is a 'shot' in 1p just barely tap the cb when it is frozen to another ball, very close to the rail. You know the shot...you have sold out both pushing right through it, and by not moving it enough:grin: we all have.

Anyway, your shot: put tip just under center ball and lift it up quickly, brushing a small amount of the cb as you raise the tip and causing very little force transferred to cb. It is a good shot...

...if you can get away with it!

FOUL!
No, that is why the rules state a forward stroke. ---Smitty

Cracktherack

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
One Pocket Trickery.... my special move after seeing the clever moves of some dip wad opponent, is to stuff his head as far into the side pocket as possible and declare "I'm on one."

Uniballpenman

Registered
Seems like he can just tap the cue ball, if not I would get him on the three foul.

That doesn't make sense either though. If I put you in jail, and you can just give it back and spot a ball, I am in jail. I gain nothing from that shot. I can just start doing the same thing but then I'm putting myself in a hole too.

Bad etiquette IMO.

billiardthought

Anti-intellectualism
Silver Member
That is loss of game. They changed that to loss of game several years ago.--Smitty

Smitty, I guess you're talking about some kind of tournament or set of rules? I'm talking about playing for money against a guy you met 30 minutes ago in a pool room you've never been to before. Anything goes, you just hope it goes your way....

Andrew Manning

Aspiring know-it-all
Silver Member
What if your cue was completely vertical (like shooting a masse shot) and you contact the exact top-center of the ball such that the ball doesn't move?

Totally legal, but actually pretty difficult to execute. Have you tried it?

-Andrew

DMM4342

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
One of the highest forms of game etiquette is to know the rules of the game and to expect those playing the game to follow the rules.

The penalty for that infraction is:
1. ball in hand for the opponent?
2. loss of game (frame)?
3. other?

I am not sure, so I am asking.
Dave

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
If he makes my ball while fouling doesnt my ball spot up?

From OnePocket.org rules:

• "... any balls pocketed in the opponent’s pocket on a stroke that ends in either a pocket scratch or with the cue ball off the table are not to be counted for the opponent, and are to be immediately spotted. However, on a stroke when any other foul is committed (such as a push shot, double-hit or illegal ball contact), any balls scored into the opponent’s pocket are to stay down and be counted for the opponent."

fjk

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
An old timer from my home town taught me a nifty way to take a intentional foul while touching the cue ball but not moving it:

Put the tip of your cue on the felt and then slide your tip along the felt to touch the lower part of the cue ball. The friction the felt offers provides much more control so you don't accidently over hit the cue and move it. Try it, works like a charm.

CreeDo

Fargo Rating 597
Silver Member
Swiping the ball is not a legal shot, as I recall from prior discussion on the webs greatest resource for pool.

There is a 'shot' in 1p just barely tap the cb when it is frozen to another ball, very close to the rail. You know the shot...you have sold out both pushing right through it, and by not moving it enough:grin: we all have.

Anyway, your shot: put tip just under center ball and lift it up quickly, brushing a small amount of the cb as you raise the tip and causing very little force transferred to cb. It is a good shot...

...if you can get away with it!

FOUL!

Efren got called for that one, I think it was in his first straight pool tournament - the Maine Event. He was stuck in the stack with no shot and didn't want to sell out.

Harold Smith

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Seems like he can just tap the cue ball, if not I would get him on the three foul.

That doesn't make sense either though. If I put you in jail, and you can just give it back and spot a ball, I am in jail. I gain nothing from that shot. I can just start doing the same thing but then I'm putting myself in a hole too.

Bad etiquette IMO.

You are right, but all you have to do is do the same thing he does, cause he is on one and if he keeps it up he will lose because he will get to 3 fouls before you.---Smitty

Harold Smith

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Smitty, I guess you're talking about some kind of tournament or set of rules? I'm talking about playing for money against a guy you met 30 minutes ago in a pool room you've never been to before. Anything goes, you just hope it goes your way....

That's why you set the rules up before stuff comes up. Just play tournament rules all the time.--Smitty

realkingcobra

Silver Member
I'd say that's not allowed. It's a lot like trapping the cue ball in a corner hook. Does onepocket.org have anything to say about it?

Actually, there are situations at nine ball where you might want to do the same thing -- no way to hit the one ball and the nine sitting in the pocket, so just jam the cue ball through.

Actually, with cue ball in hand after a scratch, your opponent can't place the cue ball in the pocket and foul by using the tip of his cue to freeze the cue ball against the inside of the corner pocket....because, the cue ball is not in play for a legal shot or foul until AFTER it has crossed the head string foul line, and until that happens, no shot has taken place because the cue ball is still out of play after a scratch.

VARick

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Efren got called for that one, I think it was in his first straight pool tournament - the Maine Event. He was stuck in the stack with no shot and didn't want to sell out.

I remember that one. He got hit with a "deliberate" foul (as opposed to an "intentional" foul). In straight pool, that's the big one, same as three consecutive fouls -- minus 1 for the foul, plus an additional minus 15 for being unsportsmanlike, and the incoming player can make you rebreak or he can shoot behind the line ball in hand. Efren looked incredulous, probably thinking these Americans cannot beat me so they are trying to cheat me, lol.

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member

I remember that one. He got hit with a "deliberate" foul (as opposed to an "intentional" foul). In straight pool, that's the big one, same as three consecutive fouls -- minus 1 for the foul, plus an additional minus 15 for being unsportsmanlike, and the incoming player can make you rebreak or he can shoot behind the line ball in hand. Efren looked incredulous, probably thinking these Americans cannot beat me so they are trying to cheat me, lol.

That was at the 2000 US Open event at the Roseland Ballroom in NYC.