Getting mad when playing against better players

Celophanewrap

Call me Grace
Silver Member
I know what gets me mad.

I said it in the thread title.

Are you saying getting mad is not the right way to react to losing or playing better players?

I am not going to sit there grinning and smiling while I watch some beat me in a match.

I am just saying getting mad is what people do.

I've seen top pros get mad. I don't know why they are mad, I just see them acting out.

I know I get mad. Its like everyone here is the emotion police, being mad is against the rules.

While this may be true for some of the top pros, try to remember that many of these
people are disadvantaged by the fact that for the most part they spent their formative
years in a pool hall, and while most of us were developing our social skills and mom
was forcing us to have good manners (thanks Mom), many of the 24-7 pool players
were becoming socially retarded, and they carry that with them today.
Sure it's OK, even good to be upset at a loss. I don't think a competitor would ever be
happy about that, but you should never throw at your kid in a father - son baseball
game. Competitive juices are a good thing, but acting like a spoiled, socially retarded,
idiot brat are another thing all together. It's a bad look

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Getting mad in a manner that serves to better your position is fine, but your initial post didn't state that was the result of your feelings.

I know what gets me mad.

Are you saying getting mad is not the right way to react to losing or playing better players?

I am not going to sit there grinning and smiling while I watch some beat me in a match.

I've seen top pros get mad. I don't know why they are mad, I just see them acting out.

I know I get mad. Its like everyone here is the emotion police, being mad is against the rules.

highkarate

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I know what gets me mad.

You can be mad all you want, but it's kind of silly in your case. Top pros get mad because they feel like they are the better player and just haven't gotten the rolls or played their best game. This doesn't apply to you. You know your speed, you know you're supposed to lose, and you have given up on trying to improve. If you feel like you've plateaued as far as your physical ability, maybe work on your mental game and try not to get mad when you lose to a better player. Not saying you have to try to learn from it, but if you don't plan on improving you are just going to end up being mad a lot. I can get upset when I lose to somebody I think I should beat, or if I play under what I believe my speed to be. But if I play a better player and they play great and beat me, the only logical reaction is "that's what was supposed to happen" and shake their hand. Those losses to better players are what inspire me to improve, though.

Last edited:

Cuebuddy

Mini cues
Silver Member
I get mad at my decision making. I get disappointed when I can’t make the shots I used to make routinely. My age is a contributing factor in shot making. But I should still be smart

Right???;)

justnum

Billiards Improvement Research Projects Associate
Silver Member
That applies when I am the stronger player and I am dominating the weaker player in a match.

You can be mad all you want, but it's kind of silly in your case. Top pros get mad because they feel like they are the better player and just haven't gotten the rolls or played their best game. This doesn't apply to you. You know your speed, you know you're supposed to lose, and you have given up on trying to improve. If you feel like you've plateaued as far as your physical ability, maybe work on your mental game and try not to get mad when you lose to a better player. Not saying you have to try to learn from it, but if you don't plan on improving you are just going to end up being mad a lot. I can get upset when I lose to somebody I think I should beat, or if I play under what I believe my speed to be. But if I play a better player and they play great and beat me, the only logical reaction is "that's what was supposed to happen" and shake their hand. Those losses to better players are what inspire me to improve, though.

Buster8001

Did you say shrubberies?
Silver Member
That applies when I am the stronger player and I am dominating the weaker player in a match.

Says the man striving for mediocrity. You want to continue being a big fish in a little pond of bangers, then have at it. You're one of them; go be with them. Be mediocre & pissy all the rest of your life.

A dearly departed member of this very forum, one of whom I'm sure you never met, JohnnyT was still able to advance his skill level up into his late 60s, if I'm not mistaken. I believe he posted he was up to "A" speed. I don't know how old you are; but, unless you're feeble, you can still choose to improve even the smallest aspects of your game.

Otherwise your thread is pointless. And, your game is pointless.

EDIT: Sorry, turd, JohnnyT was 73 and worked his way up to beating the 9ball ghost.
https://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=363532

Last edited:

hurricane145

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
when I am the stronger player and I am dominating the weaker player in a match.

That may be happening today but that same player you beat up on may get to it and do all the things we have talked about and later on come back and crush you.
I have had that happen several times and was thrilled that that guy got it together and made something from his efforts. I had one more guy to compete with and practice hard to play against when I walk in the place.

Only time I'd get mad is spending time with someone to show him a lot of stuff that is easy to do that should help him and seeing later he had paid no attention at all.
Then it is time to crush him so bad he won't want to play anymore at all.

Ghosst

Broom Handle Mafia
Silver Member

"If everyone jumped off a bridge ..."

It's not about being, "allowed", to be angry. It's about not acting like a spoiled brat when you don't get your way. Every human being has gotten frustrated at something; it's a normal response. But acting like a child and breaking your toys is juvenile, whether you're a, "pro", or not.

Try focusing that energy on your fundamentals instead.

Lastly, I really don't understand your rating system: how is a "D+" player a 6? If that's a Fargo rating I can see it, but an APA 6 would be a fairly good player.

GoldCrown

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I know what gets me mad.

Get glad not mad. Ok I agree playing stronger players is not how to learn pool. But it's part of the process. Have you employed an instructor? Do you really want to learn to play/compete...how to win? Losing is easy..does not have to worked at. What exactly do want from pool?

Last edited:

highkarate

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I don't get this thread. You complain about losing to better players, saying it makes you mad. People say "try getting better so you can beat them" and you say "no I don't wanna." So people say, "well, try turning into a positive/learning experience" and you say "no I don't wanna." What else do you expect people to say? Why is this a thread on a forum? Obviously you must have wanted some responses or you wouldn't have posted anything at all. Or maybe you just wanted to let people know you're a hot-head? Weird either way.

justnum

Billiards Improvement Research Projects Associate
Silver Member

It's not about being, "allowed", to be angry. It's about not acting like a spoiled brat when you don't get your way. Every human being has gotten frustrated at something; it's a normal response. But acting like a child and breaking your toys is juvenile, whether you're a, "pro", or not.

Try focusing that energy on your fundamentals instead.

Lastly, I really don't understand your rating system: how is a "D+" player a 6? If that's a Fargo rating I can see it, but an APA 6 would be a fairly good player.

NAPL D+ I race to 6 games.

highkarate

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

That's about right in my experience. I haven't played APA in a long time, but as I recall there were some 6's that were as good as C players. That was about the best though. 7's ranged from C up to A and a few A+ depending on the region. Obviously I'm talking about 8-ball. 9-ball was the same thing, just different handicaps. C players were like 7's and 8's and then 9's were like C+ to A+

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Player better players is not any fun.

Playing players that are worse feels great.

When they are worse its more relaxing and taking chances is easier.

When playing better players, every shot is stressful because the price of missing is much higher.

Just ranting
Generally speaking, chances are you are not likely to get any better unless you challenge yourself by playing better players. It's easy to play well against lesser players, but being able to play well and up to your full ability / potential in a match against a better player is a real accomplishment, and rarely happens in my experience.

Last edited:

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Being the captain of 2 teams I always throw myself against the other teams best when I can.. other than a few acting like dechaine when I rack 9 ball I really enjoy playing the better players. Some of those guys must have microscopes for eyeballs complaining about cracks that I cant seem to never see....other than the occasional rack that will not stay tight no matter what.

9 's are notorious for complaining about racks. A few 8 's do also. Most 7's and below hardly ever complain but there is a 5 and a 4 who are as bad as any 9 about complaining. Me ? I never check a rack ...probably why my break sucks lol.

There is a reason that higher level players want good racking.

1. They can run out after a good break
1a they often need to run out due to spotting players games or balls in order to win
2. They have the knowledge to understand the difference between a good rack and a bad one and what can happen with a bad rack
2a see 1a
3. The higher level a player is at, the more knowledge they have, the more precise they play, so they need a good playing field to perform to the level they need to in order to play vs others they are giving weight to.

A good player and a bad player on a bad table/equipment will be a lot more evenly matched than on good equipment. Here I am talking about a good rack as "good equipment" as well as having good rails, level table, non funny pocket cuts, etc..

Think about it, a bad player usually hits random shots anyway, so they don't even know what the balls SHOULD do most of the time, they just hit and see what happens. This is bad but also due to this fact they don't need to win a lot of games to win a set. A good player knows where a ball should go, hits at the correct speed and angles with correct spin and can use this to play better position. If a table or other setup is crap, a good shot can turn into a scratch or a hook on an uneven table, or a dry break leading to a loss vs someone that only needs 2 racks to your 7 to win. I have played on may tables where a good safety turns into a scratch because the ball curves 4 inches off line and goes into a pocket or the cueball curves and misses the object ball. This is all in the same area as players looking for a good rack, even if it's not racking but table setup. The game starts with the break, so the rack should be looked at as a shot, not as a random thing that is tossed aside as not a big deal. Good rack = balls can be aimed off the break = less clusters = better cueball control from the break, all of that is needed for a good player to play good.

Last edited:

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Romanticizing a loss is not why I play in my pool league.

The theory of getting better? Everyone can be great, but some people are just naturally better. I know my limits, I can pick up new habits, but get better, that is just a line to keep me a repeat customer.

When I play pool winning is more fun than losing. Sometimes it doesn't matter if I win on luck or skill, a win is a win.

Playing better players they will always be out there. I just prefer to play weaker players.

The idea that there is only one correct way to play pool I am strongly against.

I am not a pro, I do not compete in tournaments, I play league pool. I can't get any better, my skill level topped out years ago. I am hardly better than a D+ or a 6.

I don't want to go to league pool thinking I am back in school trying to do schoolwork the way the teacher wants it. I just want to play the shots I like, win as much as I can and avoid losing as much as I can.

Some of the comments shared on the thread remind me of when smarter people say I can do things they can. Like people that can dunk a basketball, I can't do that. Some people can learn to player better, I can't do that. Some people can play like the top pros and break like the top pros.

Reality check for me is, I can't do what those people can do.

I have not met a single person that can't get to a B level yet if they are not stubborn and put the time in practice correct things. Unless you have some actual physical limitation like being 90 with bad eyes and trembling hands or lost some body function due to a stoke.

I never met you or seen how you play, or know your real personality outside the forums, but your other posts don't sound like this one.

Every player I have met that is stuck at a C level or lower that played for more than a year or two is at that level due to bad habits or not learning new things, that is pretty much 100% due to stubbornness with a bit of time and dedication as causes. I have shown many low level players things to help them play better, I see them practice it for a day or two, then they are back doing the same things that make them bad players. Can't complain about sucking then if someone does not do their homework and keep up with it.

Now once a player reaches B level, then there are some other things that come into play. To get to A level and higher you really need to have very good ability to see the balls and aiming line properly as well as line up on the shot and execute the shot without error. Many players just don't have the right sight line on the shot and form little quirks in their stroke to get past B level, or just don't have the time to get past B level.

megatron69

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Player better players is not any fun.

Playing players that are worse feels great.

When they are worse its more relaxing and taking chances is easier.

When playing better players, every shot is stressful because the price of missing is much higher.

Just ranting

Playing players that are better than me is always fun. I nearly always play better, focus more, pay more attention, etc. I enjoy being challenged.

Playing inferior players is boring. I tend to lose focus, my mechanics suffer/get sloppy, and I go out of my way to find a challenge in the game which usually leads to me taking shots that are extremely high-risk/flat dumb.

Yes, that's true, I guess.

I don't get stressed; I make better decisions and then try to focus on the highest quality execution that I can summon at that moment. I don't worry about what I just did or what could happen in the future; I just need to stay in the moment. The price of poor execution probably is a loss of game, but the reward of success is that feeling of exultation when you made the right decision and then performed at your highest level.

I get angry with myself, never with my opponent, always when I allow something to interfere with my focus on what's immediately in front of me on the table.

But these things are true or have been true in any sport I've ever gotten serious about. I play/have played to test myself against others, which necessarily means playing those that I see as better than myself. And so ultimately to challenge myself, using my opponent as a gauge of my skills/abilities.

Last edited:

Scratch85

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
WTF?

Justnum makes a post saying that playing players that are worse, feels great. Playing better players is not fun. Then he qualifies it as just a rant.

I completely agree. I too like to win without developing a headache. Way more fun than losing and getting twisted.

The Community has generously pointed out where his weaknesses are and why he hasn’t met his potential. Justnum says he has met his potential and has more fun winning than losing. Hard to find fault in that.

I know this is a forum and discussing stuff is what we do. But I find no fault in Justnum’s position. I too prefer loose wins to intense 50/50 props.

Sent from my iPhone using AzBilliards Forums

deanoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i don't recall playing anyone who wasn't better than me

at least not for much money

i would have been mad all the time according to this theory

i usually just kept asking for more weight

it might have made me mad if i went broke before i finally got
enough weight

deanoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
logical
i really like the looks of your pockets
where can i find someone to change my 4.5 inch pockets to the right size like yours

if not,my table is for sale GC%