Is an 18' x 13' room a no go for a 9' table?

CueAndMe

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Where I want to put the table my basement has those dimensions, and I see on Brunswick's chart that for a 58" cue the dimensions should be 14' x 18'. I'm wondering how often I'll need to be switching to a shorter cue. At my old house we had an 8' table, and it just doesn't feel like the same game. I'd rather not have to resort to the smaller table if I can make this work. I'm a straight pool player almost exclusively, though I doubt that makes a difference. Any thoughts?

Actually, the room width dimension of 13' comes into play only on 1 full side rail and half of the other side rail, since the other half opens up to another portion of the basement.

Shawn Armstrong

AZB deceased - stopped posting 5/13/2022
Silver Member
Add 10' to the dimensions to figure out how much room you need. So, for a 4.5x9, you'll need 14.5'x19'. A smaller room will hold the table. You'll just have to use a shorter cue when shooting off the rails.

CueAndMe

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I just had a thought. What if I didn't center the table in the room and I gave the one long side rail all it needed for full clearance. That would leave 1 half of the other side rail even worse than before, but a short cue would only have to be used for that one half of a side rail. It would look odd in the room, but it might work.

greyghost

Coast to Coast
Silver Member
Put in too small a room and it may suffer as a storage table

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The width of the room would be torture. You only have 51 inches from the edge of the rail to the wall. Can you take out a wall?

wigglybridge

14.1 straight pool!
Silver Member
i had my GC 1.5 in a 17'x13' room for a year, shooting 14.1, and it worked just fine.

teaches you to keep the cue ball Off the rail like yer s'posed ta. ;)

and if you don't, there are cheap and very good short cues out there; don't buy the first one you see, shop around. i don't remember which one i bought since i now have the table in a large room and gave it to a friend, but they're not hard to find.

CueAndMe

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i had my GC 1.5 in a 17'x13' room for a year, shooting 14.1, and it worked just fine.

teaches you to keep the cue ball Off the rail like yer s'posed ta. ;)

and if you don't, there are cheap and very good short cues out there; don't buy the first one you see, shop around. i don't remember which one i bought since i now have the table in a large room and gave it to a friend, but they're not hard to find.

Thanks for the encouragement! I drew a picture of what I think could make it work better. The drawing doesn't show proper dimensions but gives an idea of what I was suggesting with encroaching on the wall at 1 long rail. It means full playing area everywhere else. The thick lines are my basement walls, and the foot of the table is where there are openings in the walls. So by placing the table off center I think straight pool will be no problem most of the time. There is a support post where the dark circle is.

My calculations are: 13' equals 156". Subtracting 50" playing area of the table leaves 106". If I give the one long rail 60" from the wall that leaves 46" for the short cue side rail shown in the upper left of the picture. And since that's the head of the table, it won't be a big issue with straight pool.

I don't like that with this set up I get even closer to the support post, but it's only about 6" in diameter. What do you think?

Basement Table.jpg

Mosens

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I've got partial 14'6" wide walls with a 9' table and it BARELY JUST fits. You'll be jacking up a bit for some shots on the sides but it may be OK. It's good if your home table's same size as what you play on when you compete, a smaller practice table may screw you up more than it's worth..

CueAndMe

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've got partial 14'6" wide walls with a 9' table and it BARELY JUST fits. You'll be jacking up a bit for some shots on the sides but it may be OK. It's good if your home table's same size as what you play on when you compete, a smaller practice table may screw you up more than it's worth..

I hear ya. Yeah, I'd really like to make the full size table work. And I think with the set up in the picture I could deal with the occasional short cue shots at the head of the one side of the table. I just don't know if I'm considering everything. If anyone sees a reason pushing the table toward the one wall won't work, please let me know. Thanks.

one stroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks for the encouragement! I drew a picture of what I think could make it work better. The drawing doesn't show proper dimensions but gives an idea of what I was suggesting with encroaching on the wall at 1 long rail. It means full playing area everywhere else. The thick lines are my basement walls, and the foot of the table is where there are openings in the walls. So by placing the table off center I think straight pool will be no problem most of the time. There is a support post where the dark circle is.

My calculations are: 13' equals 156". Subtracting 50" playing area of the table leaves 106". If I give the one long rail 60" from the wall that leaves 46" for the short cue side rail shown in the upper left of the picture. And since that's the head of the table, it won't be a big issue with straight pool.

I don't like that with this set up I get even closer to the support post, but it's only about 6" in diameter. What do you think?

View attachment 434526

What are the walls made of . I ask cause if the 2x4 walls you can cut picture frame pockets in them that give 8 in both ways , except on that corner , personally I would have zero problem with putting it in there as is ,, especially if you play a lot of 9 ft pool outside your home ,

CueAndMe

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What are the walls made of . I ask cause if the 2x4 walls you can cut picture frame pockets in them that give 8 in both ways , except on that corner , personally I would have zero problem with putting it in there as is ,, especially if you play a lot of 9 ft pool outside your home ,

Thanks. They are dry wall over studs pretty much everywhere I'm thinking. What do you mean by give 8 in both ways?

wigglybridge

14.1 straight pool!
Silver Member
i would Not do the offset, at least as shown, because you will CURSE that post constantly.

as you know, 14.1 is really a half-table game if played properly, and that post will figure in way too many critical shots if the rack end is near it. imagine yourself shooting a secondary break behind the rack from there -- a Constant requirement in straight pool.

i'm also not too keen on the idea since it will force you to use a short cue on more shots along that one wall, even shots where you're off the rail a bit.

Harold Smith

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think in the end you will be unhappy with the table because of the walls. You barely have room for a 7 footer.---Smitty

CueAndMe

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yeah. I don't think I'm going to be happy with the setup. I may skip the whole idea of having a table at this point.

spktur

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This is a classic example of someone asking for advice because they know better and want someone else to tell them what they want to hear so later they can say 'well they said'.

book collector

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yeah. I don't think I'm going to be happy with the setup. I may skip the whole idea of having a table at this point.

Any table is better than no table at all.
Why not give yourself plenty of room on one side and just practice on the table.
Practice shooting from both ends.
You lost the ability to play games on it , but you can do that when you go to the poolroom and your game will really improve faster when you do dedicated practices.

one stroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I wouldn't do that it's not that bad cut down a short stick and you will be fine , I have far less on the sides than that and I use mine for practice all the time ,