How would you describe this work?

apool_shark

DavidH
Silver Member
sweet

I'm not usually a fan of butterfly cues but this is sweet. I'd choose different woods but hey that just my preference. Really nice.

nick serdula

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
It is a full splice

The splices are in both directions centered over butterflies.
-R-
Nick :)

cueman

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Full splice with veneers over the top of butterflies. That would not be an easy one to pull off. It is very nice work.

jkmarshall_cues

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Full splice with veneers over the top of butterflies. That would not be an easy one to pull off. It is very nice work.

Think of the engineering it takes to match the butterflies with the full spliced points, the precise angles, veneer thicknesses, glue spacing, etc. REMARKABLE!!!

I don't think anything has been done like that since Berger was building cues in the late 1800's. I'm sure Rambow learned from him and other French cue builders. To line up the points evenly and construct a cue like this takes YEARS of practice and extreme craftsmanship.

Very nicely done Sir Jerry Rauenzahn. You really have developed your skills!!!

WOW!!!

Thank you for sharing Nick. I hope the new owner adds some pics to this thread so we can see the finished piece.

John

Wes Moran

The Crappy Cue Guy
Silver Member
Weinerific

I've just come to appreciate butterflies in the past year or so, but this one is a little much for my liking. I enjoy the finish on the maple in the second picture. How was that achieved?

jkmarshall_cues

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I've just come to appreciate butterflies in the past year or so, but this one is a little much for my liking. I enjoy the finish on the maple in the second picture. How was that achieved?

That's what patina looks like after 100+ years of playing, sunshine, and wear. (<:

John

Jive

Professional Racker
Silver Member
All i know is i wouldn't want to be the one putting this cue together...there's just too much work!
This is just splice work at it's absolute best.

jkmarshall_cues

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I personally love maple when it looks old from the finish yellowing with patina also. There are some tricks that can be done to enhance the off white shades, but ultimately it takes time... LOTS of time. (<:

John