For New Yorkers

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My wife for years has been wanting to take a vacation in NYC. This week we went there. I prefer the open spaces of where I live now but regarding the people I encountered the vast majority went out of their way to help a complete stranger navigate my way around the subway system and find the places we wanted to see.

New York - interesting place populated by good people.

Nostroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My wife for years has been wanting to take a vacation in NYC. This week we went there. I prefer the open spaces of where I live now but regarding the people I encountered the vast majority went out of their way to help a complete stranger navigate my way around the subway system and find the places we wanted to see.

Thank you-The majority of people who say the opposite have never been here. Crime is maybe 1/3-1/5th of the major southern cities, not to mention Chicago and Indianapolis.. Drive Bys are not a thing here.

Last edited:

u12armresl

One Pocket back cutter
Silver Member
The drive bys are because hardly anyone has a car.

Car service, mass transit, or car pool.

Thank you-The majority of people who say the opposite have never been here. Crime is maybe 1/3-1/5th of the major southern cities, not to mention Chicago and Indianapolis.. Drive Bys are not a thing here.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Like any other big city you have to know where to go. There's some areas of the Bronx i wouldn't go to if you paid me. A lot of what used to be called Hell's Kitchen was like that until developers totally changed it.

pooldawg8

My Pride and Joy
Gold Member
Silver Member
My wife & I took our son to NY city twice now, once right before X-mas & then for his B-day in June. He had a blast seeing all the places he wanted to see. And for me being a country boy, it was nice to see what BIG CITY was like. Probably go back as well

jimmyco

NRA4Life
Silver Member
The city so nice they named it twice.

Spent summers in Flatbush during the '60s.

Many good memories.

Joe_Jaguar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Why didn't you let her go on her own then? :thumbup:

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Glad to hear you had a positive experience. Most New Yorkers are very helpful when it comes to visitors. It's just the culture here.

The vast subway system makes it very easy to get around, but visitors often need some guidance, and most New Yorkers are happy to help out.

Sealegs50

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
NYC is my favorite city. Wait until you find out that people in Paris are not rude unless you are rude to them first.

GoldCrown

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Give a New Yorker an inch on the Jersey Turnpike and they'll put a Cadillac in there.