Mosconi Cup - stating the obvious

BeiberLvr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yes, chemistry can help a little, but a team of five players that detest each other can win the Mosconi if they are sufficiently committed to their preparation and to playing their best.

When has that happened?

jokrswylde

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I agree with SJM.....team sports where you physically hand the ball or physically interact with other team members requires chemistry, ……..pool is not such a sport.

chemistry cant hurt, but its a minor factor....

You could be right. But I have seen the difference in several "individual" team sports. Wrestling, Tennis, Gymnastics, etc. I don't know that I have ever talked with one coach who discounted team chemistry, heck most teams will go through "team building" activities before each season. Ropes courses, trust falls, escape rooms- they are all used to build trust and develop chemistry-and not just for stick and ball sports.

But, I admit I have never dealt with professional pool players. It would be great to hear it actually from one of the players, if they believe liking your teammates and developing that chemistry is important.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
You could be right. But I have seen the difference in several "individual" team sports. Wrestling, Tennis, Gymnastics, etc. I don't know that I have ever talked with one coach who discounted team chemistry, heck most teams will go through "team building" activities before each season. Ropes courses, trust falls, escape rooms- they are all used to build trust and develop chemistry-and not just for stick and ball sports.

But, I admit I have never dealt with professional pool players. It would be great to hear it actually from one of the players, if they believe liking your teammates and developing that chemistry is important.

I do know from first hand experience that there was one player was a very divisive element on at least two (possibly three) losing U.S. teams.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
When has that happened?

No such team has been put together yet, so there's no evidence pro or con. I'm just noting that I believe a team can overcome it with the right preparation and focus. Just one man's opinion.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
I’ve always thought of pool as a loner’s sport...produce or die.
...that’s how I like it.

...although Scotch doubles needs team thinking.

And sometimes sharing makes a stronger team...in practise

AD3FCD33-17F5-4DEF-AF35-58B83C29A118.jpeg

evergruven

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I’ve always thought of pool as a loner’s sport...produce or die.
...that’s how I like it.

...although Scotch doubles needs team thinking.

And sometimes sharing makes a stronger team...in practise

View attachment 530748

preach, pt!
and that's a helluva trio right there
would love to see asia/the world compete mosconi
the world cup of pool is cool, but I'd like to see the squad filled out

Nostroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Anyone know what odds the books have established for this year?

I wouldnt think it would be far off even -maybe 6/5 Europe?