Are there any pool players who still want to win a big score

deanoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't know about Jay,but I was a pretty bad role model for the type of pool you like

I once played Harry Platis at the world 9 ball championship in Reno

It was the finals of the 9 ball thing and 6 spectators watched them

Over 500 people crowded around our table to see 2 not so good players lock horns for $1000
pr game,Harry gave me 8 to 6

Ernie(Gina Cue) held the money.Keith,Buddy,Nick,Jack ,Ronnie and several otherslike Flyboy,Mottey,Terry Romine etc

I can not remember everybody who was sweating our game,not the 9 ball world championship

At that time I knew that these tournaments would never make it big,the play is dull,the seating is too far,
and it just isn't interesting unless you have a bet on it

Sorry,but I didn't watch a complete set in 3 days,I have been to several other championships and
every one was a repeat,I never watched a complete set and found others doing the same thing
I would spend hours talking about pool and trying to position myself to play and so did most of the
competitors in the tournaments

In Vegas ,the tournament drew people to the gaames ,but we matched up and went to Mary's place to gamble

these guys are not really well known outside of a few here and there groupies, and I doubt that most of them go to see them

I could never see the point in arguing if Robo could beat SVB

One pocket is interesting,at least to me,but without Efren ,there are no heroes out there.

I think even the groupies have to admire him for who he was. I really admired him,still do

I don't want to fly under a false flag,I did work and still own a real business,,I am a citizen
but when it came to playing pool,Hoist the jolly roger and jack the bet or
don't invite me over

Last edited:

cubswin

Just call me Joe...
Silver Member
Not since the 90's. And for me it was always with lower level players like me that liked to gamble.Some of them thought they were better than they were, and you just kept letting them believe you just got a little lucky and raising the bets over time.

Anymore I still play bad, have to spot all the lower level players that gamble. Have to get a spot from the better players that want to gamble and can't get games.

Far easier to win money playing poker around here. If I'm gambling at pool it is for 50-200 dollar sets, and with people that I know. No one is hustling, we play, sometimes I win, sometimes I lose. Everyone has jobs, everyone can afford the game, or I just don't play them. Tired of arguments, tired of air barrels, tired of any drama.

Games are just harder to find, it is rare that a stranger asks to play some anymore, used to be common place especially at tournaments when people were knocked out. Of course I rarely play tournaments anymore, so maybe that is it. Know games for me usually means I'm playing better players to just get a game, or spotting someone that might lose 100. I hate to give up spots, spend the gas money and time, and only have a chance at a c-note.

Last edited:

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
I don't know about Jay,but I was a pretty bad role model for the type of pool you like

I once played Harry Platis at the world 9 ball championship in Reno

It was the finals of the 9 ball thing and 6 spectators watched them

Over 500 people crowded around our table to see 2 not so good players lock horns for $1000
pr game,Harry gave me 8 to 6

Ernie(Gina Cue) held the money.Keith,Buddy,Nick,Jack ,Ronnie and several otherslike Flyboy,Mottey,Terry Romine etc

I can not remember everybody who was sweating our game,not the 9 ball world championship

At that time I knew that these tournaments would never make it big,the play is dull,the seating is too far,
and it just isn't interesting unless you have a bet on it

Sorry,but I didn't watch a complete set in 3 days,I have been to several other championships and
every one was a repeat,I never watched a complete set and found others doing the same thing
I would spend hours talking about pool and trying to position myself to play and so did most of the
competitors in the tournaments

In Vegas ,the tournament drew people to the gaames ,but we matched up and went to Mary's place to gamble

these guys are not really well known outside of a few here and there groupies, and I doubt that most of them go to see them

I could never see the point in arguing if Robo could beat SVB

One pocket is interesting,at least to me,but without Efren ,there are no heroes out there.

I think even the groupies have to admire him for who he was. I really admired him,still do

I don't want to fly under a false flag,I did work and still own a real business,,I am a citizen
but when it came to playing pool,Hoist the jolly roger and jack the bet or
don't invite me over

I’m going to start quoting your posts that I like so if you change your mind....
....we still got it...:)

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
Reminds me ...

I’m going to start quoting your posts that I like so if you change your mind....
....we still got it...:)

A bit off topic but your post reminds me of a sign I had up at my desk on the last real job I worked:

"It is too late to agree with me, I have already changed my mind!"

Hu

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It's all detailed in my upcoming book "Pool hustling secrets they don't want you to know about".

Ghosst

Broom Handle Mafia
Silver Member
You got that right. If a guy could come up with a cheap cell-phone blocker he'd get rich quik. Every pool player would buy one. ;)

A building with stucco might work as long as the roof was covered too. It's not the plaster, it's the chicken wire it's usually stuck to which makes for a nice Faraday cage. No Wifi outside or cell service.

deanoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just as a side note

After I played Harry,Keith and Harry offered to play partners against Jack cooney and me

Jack knew me and refused the game

Nick Varner offered to take me and they demanded 8 to 6

Nick Varner owned a big billiard business,was a world champion and yet he actively played for money

Nick didn't thing gambling was bad for pool and sponsors loved Nick

As an aside players rated Nick about 10 to 6 over Cooney Thats how good Nick was

In my opinion Nick was in the same class as Efren,maybe better in any game

People forget how great this man played the game

If anyone wants to give him a ball and the break,I could turn into a stakehorse

even during poor old Nick's golden years