Now THIS is a great shot...

Colin Colenso

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Getting out of the snooker = NUTS!
Pocketing a Ball = BANANAS!
Getting perfect shape on the 2 Ball = FRUIT SALAD!

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I think so, though he lost the match. The cue ball landed there after a miss from Jeremy, and Alain responded with that amazing shot.
It seems to have been after a safety.

The elevated jump off the cushion to jump over balls and make a ball is an ancient and not difficult trick shot. I think he can expect to hit the two. If I had to guess which ball he was actually playing, I'd say the 2 in the corner. He was not playing the jump carom combo, of course.

Kris_b1104

House Pro in my own home.
Silver Member
Tor Lowry

Tor shows this shot in one of his Advanced Secrets video on youtube, very cool indeed and I've actually tried it a couple times in practice but never playing against someone. I shot it with extreme top spin and a hard hit. Hard to find the exact time in the video where he shows it since it's over 3 hours of footage.

Colin Colenso

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I set up this shot to try it out!

My tip flew off, the CB bounced straight into my face, I recoiled, knocking the 2 into the 9, knocking it in.

I guess I don't have what it takes to be a pro! :-(

BeiberLvr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I set up this shot to try it out!

My tip flew off, the CB bounced straight into my face, I recoiled, knocking the 2 into the 9, knocking it in.

I guess I don't have what it takes to be a pro! :-(

I thought things were reversed down under. Don't you mean you knocked the 9 into the 2?

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
Alain Martel. also known as The Dancing Bear, has the highest straight pool run in Canada...
He's also ran 147 at snooker.

I also like his sense of humor....
....before starting his first match at a tournament in a strange town.....
...people are watching intently....they've heard about him.
He puts his playing cue together and checks for straightness by rolling it on the table....
....he does the same thing with his breaking cue...
...then he reaches down and grabs the bridge...tries to roll that also. :confused:
The spectators, after a few seconds of unbelief, roared with laughter.
:lmao:

Colin Colenso

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Alain Martel. also known as The Dancing Bear, has the highest straight pool run in Canada...
He's also ran 147 at snooker.

I also like his sense of humor....
....before starting his first match at a tournament in a strange town.....
...people are watching intently....they've heard about him.
He puts his playing cue together and checks for straightness by rolling it on the table....
....he does the same thing with his breaking cue...
...then he reaches down and grabs the bridge...tries to roll that also. :confused:
The spectators, after a few seconds of unbelief, roared with laughter.
:lmao:
Classic!

I'm familiar with his name in Snooker circles. Quite a player!

GideonF

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Nice find, I love the response of the audience, especially Alex Pagulyan, he was ready to jump over the railing and start high fiving the guy LOL

That video is from one of the "Border Battle" events - a U.S. versus Canada Mosconi Cup type event. So the reaction from Alex and Canadian team is not surprising.

I was at a taping of one of those Border Battles over a decade ago, and TSN (Canada's ESPN) used to re-run matches whenever they had an hour to kill. I had a number of (non-pool) friends say to me "I always see you on TV at pool events" and I had to point out that it was just ONE event, cut into several matches, replayed 100 times.

Gideon

Cameron Smith

is kind of hungry...
Silver Member
It seems to have been after a safety.

The elevated jump off the cushion to jump over balls and make a ball is an ancient and not difficult trick shot. I think he can expect to hit the two. If I had to guess which ball he was actually playing, I'd say the 2 in the corner. He was not playing the jump carom combo, of course.

You are correct on both counts. I should have watched the video lol. I was speaking from memory.

shinobi

kanadajindayo
Silver Member
Rarely does it come up where this is the best option but when it does, it's a lifesaver. Jumping the ball off the rail is very easy but it takes a lot of focus to hit it accurately, since you are jacked up over an impeding ball.

I'm not sure where I learned this shot but it could have very well been this match (I remember seeing this match when it was current)

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
Luc Salvas from Valleyfield Quebec did some commentating at the Turning Stone....
...he said that there were so many good players that it was very hard to pick a winner.

He sai "It's much easier to pick a winner in Quebec...if Alain Martel is in the tournament...
.....then Alain Martel is going to win the tournament."