New rack both balls in the rack area

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
So the BCA leagues you mention in your previous post are not related to the current BCAPL under CSI?
About 16 years ago (summer 2004?) the BCA, which is primarily a manufactures association, had a very large league. It decided to sell its league operation due to what I see as political maneuvering by some of the BCA business members. Mark Griffin bought the league.

At that point the league operation was no longer associated with the BCA. There was a problem with the name, however. It was agreed that the name could remain the same. Brand recognition is important after you have built a business up. Some business members in the BCA didn't like that part and were threatening to sue to force Mark to change the name. They backed down when the agreement was brought up. (Or at least that's the story as I understand it -- I was not directly involved.)

The letters BCA in BCAPL don't stand for anything. They're just letters. The letters in BCA stand for "Billiard Congress of America". The BCA has no player members. The BCAPL is all about player members.

9BallJim

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
About 16 years ago (summer 2004?) the BCA, which is primarily a manufactures association, had a very large league. It decided to sell its league operation due to what I see as political maneuvering by some of the BCA business members. Mark Griffin bought the league.

At that point the league operation was no longer associated with the BCA. There was a problem with the name, however. It was agreed that the name could remain the same. Brand recognition is important after you have built a business up. Some business members in the BCA didn't like that part and were threatening to sue to force Mark to change the name. They backed down when the agreement was brought up. (Or at least that's the story as I understand it -- I was not directly involved.)

The letters BCA in BCAPL don't stand for anything. They're just letters. The letters in BCA stand for "Billiard Congress of America". The BCA has no player members. The BCAPL is all about player members.

Thanks for the explanation, Bob.

I realize that BCAPL has their own (amateur) rules and the BCA has their own rules. Based on https://bca-pool.com/page/25, the BCA is the North American representative to the WPBA and the BCA publishes their rules as the World Standardized Rules. So are these rules different than the rules that appear on the WPBA site? Or are BCA, World Standardized and WPBA rules identical? This is all very confusing.

Thanks,
Jim

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Thanks for the explanation, Bob.

I realize that BCAPL has their own (amateur) rules and the BCA has their own rules. Based on https://bca-pool.com/page/25, the BCA is the North American representative to the WPBA and the BCA publishes their rules as the World Standardized Rules. So are these rules different than the rules that appear on the WPBA site? Or are BCA, World Standardized and WPBA rules identical? This is all very confusing.

Thanks,
Jim
The BCA is both the US governing body for pool and the North American governing body for pool. As the latter, it is a member of the WPA (not WPBA). The WPA belongs to the WCBS which is the world governing body for all cue sports. The WCBS is recognized by the IOC.

The WPA controls the World Standardized Rules for pool, which the BCA publishes in its Rules and Records booklet. The WSR are on the WPA website.

The BCAPL/CSI originally used the WSR since that's what the BCA leagues were using at the time of the divestiture. CSI rules gradually migrated away with several substantive rule changes such as for a foul on the break at eight ball.

So far as I know, the only league system in the US that uses the WSR is the ACS.

9BallJim

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The BCA is both the US governing body for pool and the North American governing body for pool. As the latter, it is a member of the WPA (not WPBA). The WPA belongs to the WCBS which is the world governing body for all cue sports. The WCBS is recognized by the IOC.

The WPA controls the World Standardized Rules for pool, which the BCA publishes in its Rules and Records booklet. The WSR are on the WPA website.

The BCAPL/CSI originally used the WSR since that's what the BCA leagues were using at the time of the divestiture. CSI rules gradually migrated away with several substantive rule changes such as for a foul on the break at eight ball.

So far as I know, the only league system in the US that uses the WSR is the ACS.

Ok. Thanks.