Go Back   AzBilliards.com > Main Category > 14.1 Pool
Reload this Page 3rd Ball Safeties
Page 2 of 2 12

Share Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old
  (#16)
Straightpool_99
I see dead balls
Straightpool_99 has a reputation beyond reputeStraightpool_99 has a reputation beyond reputeStraightpool_99 has a reputation beyond reputeStraightpool_99 has a reputation beyond reputeStraightpool_99 has a reputation beyond reputeStraightpool_99 has a reputation beyond reputeStraightpool_99 has a reputation beyond reputeStraightpool_99 has a reputation beyond reputeStraightpool_99 has a reputation beyond reputeStraightpool_99 has a reputation beyond reputeStraightpool_99 has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

05-29-2020, 12:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DynoDan View Post
Tell me about it! Years ago, I played that same safety on a S.W. Michigan room owner, on his favorite ‘action’ table near the counter, leaving a threat ball a foot from the corner pocket. BIG mistake. He was on two fouls, and I was already counting my winnings as I was sure he was now ‘over-a-barrel’, and the score was about even. He then proceeded to kick it in from the headrail and run out!
Here is my story: I'm playing in the national championship of my country. Luckily the venue is my home room. Unluckily I draw a player ranked in the top 5, on the top of his game. Now this would make for a very tough game, but we get assigned to the toughest table in the house. I know that table like the back of my hand, it's a nightmare to play on, tight with bad pocket cuts, fast and uneven cushion speed. I mean I got forced to play there all the time with one of my friends, but we rarely play straights on it, it's just too tough. It's always humid in the corner where the table is located. I figure I might have a chance. In all my time in that club, a decade, I've never seen anyone come close to run 100 on that table. The high run is less than half of every other table in the room, I believe I held that record at the time it was 65 balls I think. Everyone hates it and one of my superstitious friends claims the table is cursed, lol. . I figure, if I play scrappy and don't sell out, I may still pull this one out.

After a short while I'm up 80-24, may have been 70-something I don't quite remember what my score was. I remember the first run, only. But the game is to 100 points so I'm pretty confident about my situation. At this time neither of us has missed a ball. I broke, he ran 24 and safed. I win the duel run 40 something, safe, win the duel and get up to 70-80 points to his 24, I'll have to ask the guy I was playing if he remembers my score. My numbers may be slightly off, but it's about right I think. I shoot a shot where I freeze him to a almost full pack leaving one ball out close to the side rail and another underneath. Up to this moment, in my mind I've done nothing wrong. The only reason I didn't run bigger numbers is that the table is breaking extremely tough. The balls are sticking like glue, but I'm pocketing better than ever in my life.

You know what's coming. The guy kicks the ball in and runs 76 like butter. It's the smoothest run I've ever seen, and the best I've ever seen on that table. To this day, it's the highest run I've ever seen on that table, on the table next to it I've seen double that. The specs are almost identical, it's like the freaking Bermuda triangle in that corner. In that tournament nobody but me and him ran more than 40 balls on that table, though there were many high runs on the others. That's typical of my luck. I believe the cushions were changed a while after that and I haven't played on it for a couple of years now so hopefully it plays better now. Maybe I'll go for the high run, one of these days.

I've also once played that safety on a full pack and had a guy kick that in, but it wasn't a big tournament and I don't believe he ran out from there.

Last edited by Straightpool_99; 05-29-2020 at 01:27 AM.

Old
  (#17)
sjm
Stu with the Ko brothers
sjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 525

05-29-2020, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Straightpool_99 View Post
Here is my story: I'm playing in the national championship of my country. Luckily the venue is my home room. Unluckily I draw a player ranked in the top 5, on the top of his game. Now this would make for a very tough game, but we get assigned to the toughest table in the house. I know that table like the back of my hand, it's a nightmare to play on, tight with bad pocket cuts, fast and uneven cushion speed. I mean I got forced to play there all the time with one of my friends, but we rarely play straights on it, it's just too tough. It's always humid in the corner where the table is located. I figure I might have a chance. In all my time in that club, a decade, I've never seen anyone come close to run 100 on that table. The high run is less than half of every other table in the room, I believe I held that record at the time it was 65 balls I think. Everyone hates it and one of my superstitious friends claims the table is cursed, lol. . I figure, if I play scrappy and don't sell out, I may still pull this one out.

After a short while I'm up 80-24, may have been 70-something I don't quite remember what my score was. I remember the first run, only. But the game is to 100 points so I'm pretty confident about my situation. At this time neither of us has missed a ball. I broke, he ran 24 and safed. I win the duel run 40 something, safe, win the duel and get up to 70-80 points to his 24, I'll have to ask the guy I was playing if he remembers my score. My numbers may be slightly off, but it's about right I think. I shoot a shot where I freeze him to a almost full pack leaving one ball out close to the side rail and another underneath. Up to this moment, in my mind I've done nothing wrong. The only reason I didn't run bigger numbers is that the table is breaking extremely tough. The balls are sticking like glue, but I'm pocketing better than ever in my life.

You know what's coming. The guy kicks the ball in and runs 76 like butter. It's the smoothest run I've ever seen, and the best I've ever seen on that table. To this day, it's the highest run I've ever seen on that table, on the table next to it I've seen double that. The specs are almost identical, it's like the freaking Bermuda triangle in that corner. In that tournament nobody but me and him ran more than 40 balls on that table, though there were many high runs on the others. That's typical of my luck. I believe the cushions were changed a while after that and I haven't played on it for a couple of years now so hopefully it plays better now. Maybe I'll go for the high run, one of these days.

I've also once played that safety on a full pack and had a guy kick that in, but it wasn't a big tournament and I don't believe he ran out from there.
Giving your opponent a big problem is not a guarantee of success, but it usually works. Irving Crane often used to say "the percentages don't always work" but they remain the percentages.

Old
  (#18)
Bob Jewett
AZB Osmium Member
Bob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700

05-29-2020, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjm View Post
Giving your opponent a big problem is not a guarantee of success, but it usually works. Irving Crane often used to say "the percentages don't always work" but they remain the percentages.
Exactly.

I still remember a safe I played in Terry Stonier's room in Sacramento in a nine ball tournament about 1976. I leave Napa Jack by the right foot pocket and the four ball on the same side rail on the headstring but with three balls between them and any one-rail kick blocked. Of course he kicks 2/3 rails at that four, it slides all the way down the long rail and goes in and he runs out.

I should have froze the cue ball to three balls.

Bob Jewett
SF Billiard Academy

Page 2 of 2 12

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: