Go Back   AzBilliards.com > Main Category > Non Pool Related
Reload this Page Phil Mickelson Misses 18-inch Putt During the Opening Round at Pebble Beach

Share Thread Tools Rate Thread
Phil Mickelson Misses 18-inch Putt During the Opening Round at Pebble Beach
Old
  (#1)
HawaiianEye
AzB Silver Member
HawaiianEye has a reputation beyond reputeHawaiianEye has a reputation beyond reputeHawaiianEye has a reputation beyond reputeHawaiianEye has a reputation beyond reputeHawaiianEye has a reputation beyond reputeHawaiianEye has a reputation beyond reputeHawaiianEye has a reputation beyond reputeHawaiianEye has a reputation beyond reputeHawaiianEye has a reputation beyond reputeHawaiianEye has a reputation beyond reputeHawaiianEye has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

Phil Mickelson Misses 18-inch Putt During the Opening Round at Pebble Beach - 06-14-2019, 01:10 PM

It isn't only pool players that miss easy shots. Golfers do it, too.

Don't feel so bad the next time you miss.

https://www.breitbart.com/sports/201...-pebble-beach/

Old
  (#2)
Sofla
AzB Silver Member
Sofla has a reputation beyond reputeSofla has a reputation beyond reputeSofla has a reputation beyond reputeSofla has a reputation beyond reputeSofla has a reputation beyond reputeSofla has a reputation beyond reputeSofla has a reputation beyond reputeSofla has a reputation beyond reputeSofla has a reputation beyond reputeSofla has a reputation beyond reputeSofla has a reputation beyond repute

06-14-2019, 02:04 PM

Years ago my league captain was the owner of the pool hall, a former road player and a money player who played every day.

After he missed an easy shot at a critical time, I told him I would have bet my life he would make it. He said, 'so would I!!!' To be fair, it was at an infamous hell-hole with no air conditioning and brutal high humidity in the summer, but still...

I have also seen the best NBA free throw percentage shooters (90%+) miss two in a row, which is < 1% likely. Moral of the story: sh!t happens! Just wait a while, and you'll see many semi-impossible things occur.

The point of modern propaganda isn't only to misinform or push an agenda. It is to exhaust your critical thinking, to annihilate truth.

― Garry Kasparov

... the line separating good and evil passes not through states, nor between classes, nor between political parties either -- but right through every human heart -- and through all human hearts.

― Aleksandr I. Solzhenitsyn

Old
  (#3)
our_auctionguy
The Wall.....
our_auctionguy has a reputation beyond reputeour_auctionguy has a reputation beyond reputeour_auctionguy has a reputation beyond reputeour_auctionguy has a reputation beyond reputeour_auctionguy has a reputation beyond reputeour_auctionguy has a reputation beyond reputeour_auctionguy has a reputation beyond reputeour_auctionguy has a reputation beyond reputeour_auctionguy has a reputation beyond reputeour_auctionguy has a reputation beyond reputeour_auctionguy has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 800

06-14-2019, 02:23 PM

The opposite occurs as well to balance things out. Like a hole in one that nobody can repeat back to back, so with the bad, there also comes the unexpected good.

Hello...........Goodbye

Old
  (#4)
cuesblues
cue accumulator
cuesblues has a reputation beyond reputecuesblues has a reputation beyond reputecuesblues has a reputation beyond reputecuesblues has a reputation beyond reputecuesblues has a reputation beyond reputecuesblues has a reputation beyond reputecuesblues has a reputation beyond reputecuesblues has a reputation beyond reputecuesblues has a reputation beyond reputecuesblues has a reputation beyond reputecuesblues has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 2900

06-14-2019, 02:39 PM

It's easier to miss an 18" putt than an 18" straight in shot in pool.
Some putts are tricky.
Although I've played on pool tables that would level the playing field

player.....Josswest, Kikel, Rambow, Gina,Schon,
player.....Murray Tucker, Horn, Schick, Kersenbrock
player.... Judd Fuller, Steve Klein, ASC, Paul Drexler
player......Ernie Martinez, Willie Hoppe, D.Jones
breaker...Hillbily Smacker, Judd Fuller
jumper....see breakers
shooter...Sig Sauer P226 357
cutter......Spyderco-Massad Ayoob

Old
  (#5)
Sofla
AzB Silver Member
Sofla has a reputation beyond reputeSofla has a reputation beyond reputeSofla has a reputation beyond reputeSofla has a reputation beyond reputeSofla has a reputation beyond reputeSofla has a reputation beyond reputeSofla has a reputation beyond reputeSofla has a reputation beyond reputeSofla has a reputation beyond reputeSofla has a reputation beyond reputeSofla has a reputation beyond repute

06-14-2019, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuesblues View Post
Some putts are tricky.
Both holes are about the same size (4.25" is the standard for golf holes). But the much smaller golf ball is only 39% the size of the hole, and a pool ball is closer to 50% the size. So there is more margin of error available in sinking a golf ball.

I'd say hitting a round object accurately with a flat surface squared up to the line is easier than hitting a round object with another round object hit by a rounded tip, considering no deflection or throw effects.

The tilt of the green sometimes offsets all of that, if there is one, but only when it makes the path break. Not if it's straight uphill or downhill. Was the putt tricky in that way, or did Phil show the yips?

The point of modern propaganda isn't only to misinform or push an agenda. It is to exhaust your critical thinking, to annihilate truth.

― Garry Kasparov

... the line separating good and evil passes not through states, nor between classes, nor between political parties either -- but right through every human heart -- and through all human hearts.

Old
  (#6)
measureman
AzB Silver Member
measureman has a reputation beyond reputemeasureman has a reputation beyond reputemeasureman has a reputation beyond reputemeasureman has a reputation beyond reputemeasureman has a reputation beyond reputemeasureman has a reputation beyond reputemeasureman has a reputation beyond reputemeasureman has a reputation beyond reputemeasureman has a reputation beyond reputemeasureman has a reputation beyond reputemeasureman has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1500

06-14-2019, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuesblues View Post
Some putts are tricky.
I've played a lot of golf and pool and I agree with the above.
A real good pool player Neptune Joe Frady (RIP) was also a pretty good golfer.
I asked him which game was harder pool or golf?
Without hesitation he said golf.

Playing cue- The Mighty Lucasi Cocobolo
Back up cue - Troy Downey

"Russian Magic Chalk- good enough to steal".

Russian Magic chalk is the nuts.
Its so good my last and only cube was stolen off the table when I went to the bath room.
They left my $1000 cue but stole my chalk, how strong is that?

The Truth: If you have a stroke the gear don't matter... If you don't have a stroke the gear won't help.
The above quote by Softshot

Old
  (#7)
Sofla
AzB Silver Member

06-14-2019, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by measureman View Post
I've played a lot of golf and pool and I agree with the above.
A real good pool player Neptune Joe Frady (RIP) was also a pretty good golfer.
I asked him which game was harder pool or golf?
Without hesitation he said golf.
Do you think he meant putting, per se, or more the entire game, though?

― Garry Kasparov

Old
  (#8)
memikey
Never Has Been
memikey has a reputation beyond reputememikey has a reputation beyond reputememikey has a reputation beyond reputememikey has a reputation beyond reputememikey has a reputation beyond reputememikey has a reputation beyond reputememikey has a reputation beyond reputememikey has a reputation beyond reputememikey has a reputation beyond reputememikey has a reputation beyond reputememikey has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700

06-14-2019, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sofla View Post

The tilt of the green sometimes offsets all of that, if there is one, but only when it makes the path break. Not if it's straight uphill or downhill. Was the putt tricky in that way, or did Phil show the yips?
The putt wasn't tricky and he didn't yip. The stroke itself looked fine. Putts with any kind of 'break' to be factored in always involve seemingly infinite different potential combinations of line that you start the ball on and speed you hit it, many of which different combinations would all result in the ball entering the hole at the same place. But it doesn't look to me that he was playing for any break of any significance.

Nor do I think he hit it 'too hard' because if he had done, it would have picked up a lot more speed when the lip slung it out at 90 degrees and it would have finished a lot further from the hole than it did.
Everything about that putt and the way he approached it suggests he was trying to hit it on near centre cup line, especially because he hit it at pretty much perfect standard holing speed (ie the speed that would take the ball about 18/24 inches past the hole if you miss the hole completely, no matter how far away you are putting from). He just aimed it too casually and too wide, accidentally aiming it at the left lip when he intended to aim it pretty much left centre cup.

It happens to the best, I've seen shorter putts than that casually/carelessly missed on both European and PGA Tours, even seen the putter barely whiff the top of the ball or miss the ball completely, the latter usually during one handed attempts to tap a ball into the hole with the back edge of the putter from a couple of inches. Most pros only do that once in their career before that casual habit stops. Azinger has seen shorter putts missed for sure, he was probably just making it more interesting for the viewers

Ernie Els took 6 putts from a few feet away a couple of seasons ago and so did my young mate Danny Lee. That usually happens due to getting flustered or enraged. I have a very low handicap pal with a volcanic temper who I once saw carelessly tapping the ball from one side of the hole to the other from a few inches on one hole so many times that I thought we were going to have to get a torch and still be there at midnight:....until he finally lost his rag completely, addressed his putter behind the ball for a 6 inch putt and then violently whacked the ball about 50 yards off the green and into a lake.....then slung the putter in after it

Mike

Last edited by memikey; 06-15-2019 at 12:15 AM.

Old
  (#9)
memikey
Never Has Been
memikey has a reputation beyond reputememikey has a reputation beyond reputememikey has a reputation beyond reputememikey has a reputation beyond reputememikey has a reputation beyond reputememikey has a reputation beyond reputememikey has a reputation beyond reputememikey has a reputation beyond reputememikey has a reputation beyond reputememikey has a reputation beyond reputememikey has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700

06-14-2019, 11:37 PM

Quote:
Both holes are about the same size (4.25" is the standard for golf holes). But the much smaller golf ball is only 39% the size of the hole, and a pool ball is closer to 50% the size. So there is more margin of error available in sinking a golf ball.

I'd say hitting a round object accurately with a flat surface squared up to the line is easier than hitting a round object with another round object hit by a rounded tip, considering no deflection or throw effects.
Brings to mind something.

Some friends I used to play with a few years ago, all of us very low handicap amateurs or club teaching pros and half decent snooker or pool players. About once a month, for fun we'd mix things up and play 9 hole money matches with quirky rules built in. One of our regular fun rules was that after reaching the green, instead of putting, everyone had to lie down flat and 'putt' using any club from our bag held like a snooker/pool cue and stroking the ball toward the hole using the end where the club grip is. Long 'putts' were quite difficult but I don't remember anyone missing from a couple of feet, even after a few drinks and even considering we were cueing the golf ball with a fat rubber covered 'tip' nearly as wide as the golf ball

Another was having to use a tennis ball instead of a golf ball for a few holes. You wouldn't believe how far a tennis ball DOESN'T go no matter how hard a scratch golfer smacks it with a driver

Mike

Last edited by memikey; 06-15-2019 at 12:13 AM.

Old
  (#10)
Sofla
AzB Silver Member

06-14-2019, 11:45 PM

Sounds like he took it for granted and didn't confirm his line. Been there.

A game that captain I mentioned came up with was using a golf ball for a cue ball. With the weight difference, it always bounced back off a pool ball as if drawn. Shape was... semi-impossible.

― Garry Kasparov

Last edited by Sofla; 06-14-2019 at 11:56 PM.

Old
  (#11)
measureman
AzB Silver Member
measureman has a reputation beyond reputemeasureman has a reputation beyond reputemeasureman has a reputation beyond reputemeasureman has a reputation beyond reputemeasureman has a reputation beyond reputemeasureman has a reputation beyond reputemeasureman has a reputation beyond reputemeasureman has a reputation beyond reputemeasureman has a reputation beyond reputemeasureman has a reputation beyond reputemeasureman has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1500

06-15-2019, 06:45 AM

Quote:
Do you think he meant putting, per se, or more the entire game, though?
He meant the entire game.

Playing cue- The Mighty Lucasi Cocobolo
Back up cue - Troy Downey

"Russian Magic Chalk- good enough to steal".

Russian Magic chalk is the nuts.
Its so good my last and only cube was stolen off the table when I went to the bath room.
They left my $1000 cue but stole my chalk, how strong is that?

The Truth: If you have a stroke the gear don't matter... If you don't have a stroke the gear won't help.
The above quote by Softshot

Old
  (#12)
Sofla
AzB Silver Member

06-15-2019, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by measureman View Post
He meant the entire game.
Even as a non-golfer, I would agree. There are SO many variables to take into account, it's amazing.

I will note this, however, that applies to top competition. Nobody loses in golf without getting their chance at the course, and several chances at it over the daily rounds. In top pool play, a player may lose without any chance at all (rarely, but possibly), but more often just by missing one or two shots, or even breaking dry once.

Pool rarely assures an equal chance in play, other than when playing equal offense.

― Garry Kasparov

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: