2006 Action & Entertainment Award Results

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
2006 Derby City Classic “St. Louis” Louis Roberts Award

The award goes to the person that is exemplifies the meaning of action and entertainment throughout his/her attendance at the Diamond Derby City Classic. As is the case every year, there were many participants that were worthy of the title, but in the end, there can only one winner.

After the votes were cast and tallied, the results are in. The 2006 “St. Louis” Louis Roberts Award goes to Cliff Joyner of High Point, NC. Cliff was in non-stop one-pocket action from the first day to the last. And whether it was morning, noon, or night, Cliff always had a crowd sweating his match-ups. Congratulations Cliff on this well-deserved honor

Twenty-two votes were received from the internet forum community, with eleven of them casting first place votes for Cliff. Keith Bennett and Jon Tater rounded out the top three.

uwate

daydreaming about pool
Silver Member
Only saw the first fri/sat/sun of the DCC but during the time, Joyner was the center of the action. I wonder how much sleep he got during the DCC?

CrossSideLarry

Cross Side Larry
Silver Member
Cliff Joyner and Keith Bennet

I watched a lot of the action during the first three days of the DCC. Without a doubt the match between Eric Durbin and Cliff, wherein, Cliff gave Durbin the break and played him 10 - 7 in 1 Hole. They played for a total of $45,000.00 with Durbin's backer originally wanting to put up $50,000.00. The match went until the wee hours of the morning with Cliff finally winning. Cliff had Eric on the Hill three times before closing him out. It was an awesome display of skill put on by Cliff in all aspects of the game. Once I saw him make a five rail kick safety that took Eric from a dead nuts locked hole to behind a ball in such a way that he could only play a weak safe which Cliff immediately took advantage of with a stellar ten ball run out. Keith Bennet was equally good and entertaining in his own style of play. He beat Brandon Ashcraft for $1,800.00 in a 10 ahead nine ball match up. He took Brandon apart like a surgeon. Later I watched him in a $200.00 per man ring nine ball game. Matched up against Sparky and four other top young guns who were always in action. He won a bundle in that game. I voted for Cliff Joyner as my first choice for the "St Louis" Louis Roberts award and keith Bennet as my second choice. Obviously, a lot of others agreed. Lastly, I watched a young hustler name, "Sparky". What a fun guy to watch and what a great gambler and player he is.

All told it was a great time and I am eager for next year. I only played in the banks event but that level of competition is rare to come by in any event I could as an amateur ever expect to play in for a mere $75.00 entry fee!

Cross Side Larry

"Learn from the best, and beat the rest"

ere cast and tallied, the results are in. The 2006 “St. Louis” Louis Roberts Award goes to Cliff Joyner of High Point, NC. Cliff was in non-stop one-pocket action from the first day to the last. And whether it was morning, noon, or night, Cliff always had a crowd sweating his match-ups. Congratulations Cliff on this well-deserved honor

Twenty-two votes were received from the internet forum community, with eleven of them casting first place votes for Cliff. Keith Bennett and Jon Tater rounded out the top three.[/QUOTE]

crow

Caw Caw
Silver Member
huh?

45,000? LOL They played for 2000 in the middle, i was there. And to be perfectly honest Tater should've gotten the award, he was in action way more than anyone else playing a 15,000 set with Josh Arieh's buddy. Anyways, I couldn't resist.

Kevin

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
crow said:
And to be perfectly honest Tater should've gotten the award,

I would hope that giving everyone the opportunity to vote, we could avoid statements like this. There's nothing good about the statement, nor does "honesty" have anything to do with it.

Entirely too many people voted for Cliff and Keith. Nobody else was close, according to the votes.

Fred

crow

Caw Caw
Silver Member
I meant in my opinion. Of course I'm not bashing Keith nor Cliff both great players and entertaining as well. I just saw Tater in more action than anyone else by far.

Sorry for not making my statement clear, it was late when I posted it.

Kevin